collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Man U 0-1 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 33109 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Man U 0-1 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #435 on: September 27, 2021, 07:35:01 AM »
We definitely don't seem to have that fear factor any more. Previous Villa teams, even some decent Villa teams, played the likes of Man U and you felt we'd lost before kick off.

In the last fifteen months or so we've beaten Arsenal three times, Liverpool, Leicester, Man U, Chelsea and Tottenham. Just need to beat Man City to complete the set.

I'm actually starting to look forward to these games now, mind you, I'm looking forward to every game because I love watching this team play.
just hope we can carry this form through to the Spurs match. I’ve a $100 bet on with a mate that we’ll finish above them this season. I was pissed when I took it, I think he saw it as easy money at the time, but I didn’t hesitate as I thought they’re one of the teams we need to and will overtake to get around 5th / 6th this season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #436 on: September 27, 2021, 07:39:37 AM »
OGS is a terrible manager. Two extremely average midfielders in Fred and McTominay sitting in front of the defence, Sancho on the bench and he seems to have completely ruined Mason Greenwood, who a couple of seasons back I thought was just about the most promising young English player in the Premier League.
I haven’t seen much of Greenwood over the last few years as I only watch Them if they’re playing us. I thought he was pretty dangerous looking down their right and probably their biggest threat. From what I saw, he seemed the most likely to score. I’m going to watch it again tonight!

As well as we played, if Greenwood had squared the ball to Fernandes for an almost certain tap in, we'd have gone in 1-0 down and the match might have been very different after that.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #437 on: September 27, 2021, 08:12:32 AM »
OGS is a terrible manager. Two extremely average midfielders in Fred and McTominay sitting in front of the defence, Sancho on the bench and he seems to have completely ruined Mason Greenwood, who a couple of seasons back I thought was just about the most promising young English player in the Premier League.
I haven’t seen much of Greenwood over the last few years as I only watch Them if they’re playing us. I thought he was pretty dangerous looking down their right and probably their biggest threat. From what I saw, he seemed the most likely to score. I’m going to watch it again tonight!

As well as we played, if Greenwood had squared the ball to Fernandes for an almost certain tap in, we'd have gone in 1-0 down and the match might have been very different after that.

That’s football though. The same could be said for Targett’s open goal and also Ollie’s chance which he should have buried.

Online nigel

« Reply #438 on: September 27, 2021, 08:26:23 AM »
It's hard to accommodate Buendia and Bailey in the 3-5-2. That's my main issue with it.

Disagree. We can slot in Buendia as the attacking midfielder v likes of Burnley, Watford, Newcastle although may upset the balance of the central trio but Buendia can press and get on ball in final third.

Ideally you slot Bailey into 4-3-3 but he certainly has the feel of a player who can burst into forward areas so I think for some games him just off Watkins would frighten many defences to death with Ollie's workrate and pace of Bailey.

We changed players vrs Everton and remained, mainly, 3-5-2
Bailey replaced Targett, and, although different players it was still a straight swap position wise.
It can also be done on the right with Cash.

You could start with Targett and Cash, then finish with Bailey and Buendia.

I do think we have the players to be able to play different formation as and when it suits.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #439 on: September 27, 2021, 08:57:09 AM »
3-5-2 should become part of a number of approaches that Smith draws on, depending on the opponents and player-availability.
It's not a dogma or religion; just an option. One that's working really well at the moment.
Fair play to all concerned for embracing it and making it work.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #440 on: September 27, 2021, 09:39:36 AM »
Maybe bringing in Ronaldo wasn't the smartest move.

Just as Ashley Young was for us in my opinion. Great player under MO'N and I love him to bits for that. Somewhat soured by his blatant dive whilst playing for Manchester United. Against us.

Me too. Was thinking about this the other day; how many ex-Villa players can you say have our ‘best wishes?’ Mellberg, definitely. Then look at others; Yorke’s behaviour prior to leaving was pretty poor and then playing for Blues. Southgate talking about wanting to go to a bigger club and then going to Middlesborough. Barry throwing a paddy about wanting to go to Liverpool who then seemingly didn’t seem to really want him. The list goes on.

Quite a few from that era actually, largely because they retired or moved overseas. Angel, Bouma, Laursen, Petrov.

If somebody leaves because they can't get into the first team, has given us years of service and wants one final challenge overseas, or whatever, I generally would wish them well. Anybody who is a permanent fixture in our first XI and moves to another English club, thinking they're better than us - they can fuck off.

I don't mind Ashley Young. He served us well, left us in a dignified manner over ten years ago, and is now a squad player for us. He's not a legend, but I'm happy to have him at the club

I was thinking more in relation to your second point about players moving on to play elsewhere rather than those retiring or aging out. There have been far too many of them who’s behaviour has left a bit of a bad taste. Some more than others.

Agreed on that, Leon. In my lifetime, Yorke, Southgate, Barry, Delph, Grealish are the most notable. I don't wish any of them particular personal ill-will, but I always hope they and their new clubs fail.

I never had a problem with Barry. Gave us great service. I would wish Grealish well if he'd gone abroad. It's the choice of club that stinks.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #441 on: September 27, 2021, 09:41:38 AM »
As well as the timing.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #442 on: September 27, 2021, 09:42:54 AM »
As well as the timing.
and him being a disingenuous twat.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #443 on: September 27, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
It's hard to accommodate Buendia and Bailey in the 3-5-2. That's my main issue with it.

Can also just as easily play 3-4-3. Watkins and Bailey either side of Ings. One of the strikers sits one out and Two of Buendia/Bailey/Traore wide of the front-man.

Buendia can also play in the current Ramsey role

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #444 on: September 27, 2021, 10:44:04 AM »
Maybe bringing in Ronaldo wasn't the smartest move.

Just as Ashley Young was for us in my opinion. Great player under MO'N and I love him to bits for that. Somewhat soured by his blatant dive whilst playing for Manchester United. Against us.

Me too. Was thinking about this the other day; how many ex-Villa players can you say have our ‘best wishes?’ Mellberg, definitely. Then look at others; Yorke’s behaviour prior to leaving was pretty poor and then playing for Blues. Southgate talking about wanting to go to a bigger club and then going to Middlesborough. Barry throwing a paddy about wanting to go to Liverpool who then seemingly didn’t seem to really want him. The list goes on.

Quite a few from that era actually, largely because they retired or moved overseas. Angel, Bouma, Laursen, Petrov.

If somebody leaves because they can't get into the first team, has given us years of service and wants one final challenge overseas, or whatever, I generally would wish them well. Anybody who is a permanent fixture in our first XI and moves to another English club, thinking they're better than us - they can fuck off.

I don't mind Ashley Young. He served us well, left us in a dignified manner over ten years ago, and is now a squad player for us. He's not a legend, but I'm happy to have him at the club

I was thinking more in relation to your second point about players moving on to play elsewhere rather than those retiring or aging out. There have been far too many of them who’s behaviour has left a bit of a bad taste. Some more than others.

Agreed on that, Leon. In my lifetime, Yorke, Southgate, Barry, Delph, Grealish are the most notable. I don't wish any of them particular personal ill-will, but I always hope they and their new clubs fail.

Reckon you could probably add Downing and Steve Hodge to that blacklist.

Hodge wasn't in my lifetime, but I'd completely forgotten Downing.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #445 on: September 27, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »
Meanwhile over at Talksport, our biggest fan Danny Murphy is wondering why Manure lost, rather than why Villa won... :D

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #446 on: September 27, 2021, 10:54:10 AM »
Murphy still going on about set piece coach,

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2021, 11:19:50 AM »
Despite it proving successful already, that piss off nettle licking idiot still can't accept it.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2021, 11:25:43 AM »
Martinez and Hause in Garth Crook's team of the week.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2021, 11:43:46 AM »
Villa deserved Old Trafford triumph
Aston Villa were seriously impressive in a victory that showed courage and talent via a front-to-back team display that augurs well for Dean Smith’s side. The Midlanders had not won at Old Trafford for 12 years and still took the contest to Manchester United at each opportunity as Douglas Luiz and John McGinn probed in midfield and Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings made clever runs to scatter the home defence. If the late headed winner from Kortney Hause made it feel like a smash-and-grab victory, the opposite was true. Sure, United had their chances. Mason Greenwood was a class above before the break but did not score, and Bruno Fernandes missed only his second penalty for the club in 23 attempts, following Hause’s strike. But Smith’s team had their own opportunities, would not be cowed by recent history or the venue, and in Watkins they possess a forward who, if he stays fit, appears to be heading only one way: up.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/27/premier-league-10-talking-points-from-the-weekends-action

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal