collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Utd away  (Read 5883 times)

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: Utd away
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 02:16:35 PM »
A - Who are "Utd" ?

B - It's only Monday

A = Biscuit from the 1980s

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2021, 02:23:12 PM »
A - Who are "Utd" ?

B - It's only Monday

A = Biscuit from the 1980s

They were good as well.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 02:55:50 PM »
Can we please identify this thread correctly. There are 4 teams in the League called United. So who are we talking about?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 03:07:22 PM »
Can we please identify this thread correctly. There are 4 teams in the League called United. So who are we talking about?

The United with the Manchester prefix are our next opponents, and also are the only team who routinely call themselves that, so I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I think he's talking about Manchester United.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2021, 03:09:00 PM »
I think our away support is definitely united away, galvanised by a common cause to beat whoever we are playing. UTV.

Is that what they meant? 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2021, 03:28:18 PM »

The United with the Manchester prefix are our next opponents, and also are the only team who routinely call themselves that, so I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I think he's talking about Manchester United.

Still, though, I'd prefer not to refer to them by their brand name. It's only a short step away from saying "The Theatre of Dreams". Man United or Man U, if you must. Anything else is insulting to the other teams who have that nickname, many of whom chose said moniker while the Stretford lot were still called Newton Heath and disguising themselves as Norwich.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 03:33:50 PM »

Still, though, I'd prefer not to refer to them by their brand name. It's only a short step away from saying "The Theatre of Dreams". Man United or Man U, if you must. Anything else is insulting to the other teams who have that nickname, many of whom chose said moniker while the Stretford lot were still called Newton Heath and disguising themselves as Norwich.

Exactly, like referring to the prime minister by his first name. He's not your mate.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Man Utd away
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 03:38:20 PM »

It's bad enough their plastic fans and all the media now referring to them as just United like there's no other United in football. Man City fans now think they're the only City too. It didn't take them long to turn into what they despised about their neighbours.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2021, 03:43:45 PM »

And, as the pope queried, who the fuck are Man United?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 03:58:28 PM »

It's bad enough their plastic fans and all the media now referring to them as just United like there's no other United in football. Man City fans now think they're the only City too. It didn't take them long to turn into what they despised about their neighbours.

I think it's because they're two big clubs in the same city, both with the place name too, so they get called United or City for ease of differentiation. You don't need to do that with the likes of Newcastle and Leeds for United, or Norwich and Leicester for city because they're all one club cities. People don't seem to get so righteous when people refer to the bitters as 'Albion' despite there being Brighton and Burton with that in their names as well.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 04:26:01 PM »
Colchester United?

Offline dekko

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 04:34:33 PM »
United

The Mighty Reds...

Of Redditch!

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:32 PM »
Hold on Pelsall Villa, I think we need to clarify who we mean by "the Villa".

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »

I think it's because they're two big clubs in the same city, both with the place name too, so they get called United or City for ease of differentiation. You don't need to do that with the likes of Newcastle and Leeds for United, or Norwich and Leicester for city because they're all one club cities. People don't seem to get so righteous when people refer to the bitters as 'Albion' despite there being Brighton and Burton with that in their names as well.

There was an all-United clash last season between the Manchester and Sheffield variety and the pitchside person for TV asked a Sheffield Player his thoughts on 'the United chance' that he'd cleared. The player concerned didn't even think to question it. Arseholes.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2021, 04:46:07 PM »

Around here, no. Likewise in Manchester I've no problem with people using just the nickname. If I was outside the West Midlands and felt the need to talk about Albion or Blues, I would clarify which team I was on about. Referring to Man U as "United" is the sort of fanboy behaviour I expect from the media.

Plus, your thread was better.☹

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal