collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[April 28, 2024, 10:58:00 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[April 28, 2024, 10:54:37 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Re: Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 28, 2024, 11:14:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 3-0 Everton post match thread  (Read 21321 times)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Aston Villa 3-0 Everton post match thread
« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2021, 05:25:27 PM »
One problem with the system is that the creativity has to come from the full backs, the crossing and final passes from Cash and Target were not great, I would much rather see Buendia, Bailey or Traore in the attacking situations than full backs.

Targett got in some very good positions but his crossing was really poor, same v Brentford so could make sense for Young to play there whenever we do 3-5-2 next as he has more recent experience of playing it.

After last season, I became a Targett fan but what's going on with him this season, is he injured or playing his way back to match fitness? He's no where near the player he was last season, right now he looks more like his first season. His crossing was pathetic yesterday, Cash's not much better, but one half decent cross all game reflects poorly on Dean's tactics and selection, especially with Young sitting on the bench. Fortunately he got there in the end but it was obvious from the 10th minute we needed a winger on the pitch.
Pretty obvious what’s happened to Targett really.
As he gets to grips with someone new in front of him, hopefully he’ll get back to those standards.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2021, 05:29:12 PM »
Bailey’s goal was like Geoff Hurst’s in ‘66

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #242 on: September 19, 2021, 05:32:31 PM »

Bailey's crossed the line.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #243 on: September 19, 2021, 05:40:26 PM »

Presumed Chico meant “they think it’s all over one…”

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #244 on: September 19, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »
Yup, but with the added poison of half the posters here having a hatred of Dean Smith just because he was Dean Smith.

On their forum they used to refer to Villa fans as 'Deans' which I assume wasn't meant as a compliment. They (and Liverpool fans) also seem to think  they've walked off the catwalk in Milan whilst Brummies are still wearing flares i.e. view us in the same way as some here view people from Wolverhampton.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #245 on: September 19, 2021, 05:51:22 PM »
Reckon Everton fans are in for a rough couple of years.

I was reading through one of their forums after the game yesterday and they seem to have neatly divided themselves into half who hate Benitez and everything about him, and half who think he's a good manager for their current situation.

It's like a pitched battle which is going to see them yelling at each other all the time, regardless of how the team does.

The team meanwhile will always finish between 7th-11th, so nowhere near good enough to win over those that hate him, and nowhere near bad enough to warrant getting rid of him.

Could be worse obviously, but they're basically just in for a few years everyone shouting at everyone else, with no room for nuance.

Rafa going to be their McLeish really.

Pretty sure in TSM season we started the season about 7-8 unbeaten and were top half until December but it was never really convincing despite fans remaning patient. Then everything exploded on that night v Bolton, same will happen at Goodison at some point around March.

They were missing key players tbf yesterday as Coleman, Pickford, Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison would've all started if fit so big chunk of first 11 to take out (although we've made Everton teams with those in it pretty average in last two seasons).

Feels though once Gray and Townsend go off the boil they'll have next to no creativity and their defence really isn't good at all if you run at them as we showed second half yesterday.

They're just treading water until they move into the new stadium and perhaps then they'll spend decent amount again.

Club we should be finishing above this season.

Yup, I was going to make that comparison except that (unless my memory is playing tricks on me) McLeish didn't really divide anyone. It was just varying degrees of how bad it was - ranging from dull and underwhelming, but a pretty decent bloke to The Worst Thing In The World.

I imagine that if there had been a significant portion of Villa fans at that time who thought he was a world-class manager that we were lucky to have (along with the prospect of him staying for quite a long time) the arguments on here would have ended with actual bloodshed.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #246 on: September 19, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

I was reading through one of their forums after the game yesterday and they seem to have neatly divided themselves into half who hate Benitez and everything about him, and half who think he's a good manager for their current situation.

It's like a pitched battle which is going to see them yelling at each other all the time, regardless of how the team does.

The team meanwhile will always finish between 7th-11th, so nowhere near good enough to win over those that hate him, and nowhere near bad enough to warrant getting rid of him.

Could be worse obviously, but they're basically just in for a few years everyone shouting at everyone else, with no room for nuance.

Pretty sure in TSM season we started the season about 7-8 unbeaten and were top half until December but it was never really convincing despite fans remaning patient. Then everything exploded on that night v Bolton, same will happen at Goodison at some point around March.

They were missing key players tbf yesterday as Coleman, Pickford, Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison would've all started if fit so big chunk of first 11 to take out (although we've made Everton teams with those in it pretty average in last two seasons).

Feels though once Gray and Townsend go off the boil they'll have next to no creativity and their defence really isn't good at all if you run at them as we showed second half yesterday.

They're just treading water until they move into the new stadium and perhaps then they'll spend decent amount again.

Yup, I was going to make that comparison except that (unless my memory is playing tricks on me) McLeish didn't really divide anyone. It was just varying degrees of how bad it was - ranging from dull and underwhelming, but a pretty decent bloke to The Worst Thing In The World.

I imagine that if there had been a significant portion of Villa fans at that time who thought he was a world-class manager that we were lucky to have (along with the prospect of him staying for quite a long time) the arguments on here would have ended with actual bloodshed.

I would say the difference is Rafa is a good manager Big eck wasn't hence we didn't want him

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #247 on: September 19, 2021, 05:59:28 PM »

When Benitez was appointed I looked on one of their forums (Grand old team?) and there were loads of boycott threads so 90% of their fanbase weren't having him. Seems he got a decent reception first match and they've given him a chance so similar to what McLeish got for first few months despite what the press would have you believe since of his reign e.g. we were booing him from the start.

Just feels like an appointment that isn't destined to work despite him still being a pretty good manager. If we'd appointed a Benitez type manager from any point from May 2011 then we wouldn't have had that decade of pain as he's a decent strategist as he showed at Newcastle.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #248 on: September 19, 2021, 06:00:44 PM »

I would say the difference is Rafa is a good manager Big eck wasn't hence we didn't want him

Well, yes. That's the whole point.

It's the McLeish situation but with the added friction of lots people actually wanting him to be Everton manager.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #249 on: September 19, 2021, 06:09:24 PM »

Thank you, Mr Logic.  ;)

Offline caster troy

« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
Great day out for me yesterday, took my 8 year old nephew to his first game. His dad is a plastic scouser but I'm hoping Villa can at least be a strong second team for him. Celebrating the Cash goal with him in awe of the celebrations has gone straight into my top 10 fan moments. At 3-0 he turned to me and said 'we are definitely going to win now aren't we?' and I said yes and to enjoy it because we can't always say that with 10 minutes to go.

Performance wise I thought Cash was outstanding obviously and I loved the determination Ings showed to influence the game. Bailey is going to be so exciting if we can keep him fit. My MOTM was Nakamba though, did he lose possession once? When he is playing well he just locks up that space in front of the defence and lets the other midfielders express themselves, and he was confident enough to not always just play the easiest pass. I'd keep him in for United on Saturday.

Tactically I am a little concerned about this 532/352, mainly because Watkins isn't getting in the game and Targett seems to be struggling without a winger next to him. We kept a lot of clean sheets with the trio of Martinez, Konsa and Mings last season, maybe we won't need them to excel as much with the extra defender but it does seem like an unnecessary sacrifice of an attacking player. Hopefully we will mix it up and see plenty of 433 action too especially once Bailey is fit to start.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2021, 07:02:11 PM »
Hope your nephew gad a great day caster.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #252 on: September 19, 2021, 07:15:08 PM »
Honestly CH III why can't you come up with your own comments. I will accept payment by the way of a pint of sherbet next time we meet ;)

His goal had that bit of Geoff Hurst's they think it's all over.... magic.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #253 on: September 19, 2021, 07:48:00 PM »

Thank you, Mr Logic.  ;)

You’re welcome, obviously I assumed you were too young to remember it.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #254 on: September 19, 2021, 09:04:46 PM »
Great stream yesterday. VP came across as really loud. I was at the same fixture last time we had crowds (when Jota put Wesley through for a rare goal and El Ghazi got the second) and it seemed like that type of atmosphere.

There seemed to be less fannying about at the back, which allowed us to get the fuckers on the back foot. Three great goals. I'd have loved to have been there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal