collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have you ever won the league?  (Read 6020 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Have you ever won the league?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2021, 11:51:54 AM »
Indeed.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2021, 12:14:16 PM »
We may be being slightly judgemental about other supporters here - I logged onto a Brentford forum after we played them and was genuinely surprised at how many of them wrote of their dislike for our fans for very similar reasons as are referred to here so we're not immune - and I'm talking about BRENTFORD here! And I don't believe for a moment they're alone on this one. There was a certain amount of sneering at our belief that we are still a big club in spite of winning not-a-lot for years. We all want that next trophy which is why we still believe in it just being a matter of time but when 2-3 trophies a season becomes an expectation rather than a pipe-dream - that's when the whole outlook changes and it becomes almost a chore rather than a privilege. The generation of supporters blessed by the events of 81/82/83 look back with such fondness because of the privilege of being there when it happened - if it happened every season it would eventually lose its magic.
To appreciate the highs you have to experience the lows. We've had plenty of the latter - it would be nice to have some of the former - and fuck what Brentford think.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2021, 12:49:19 PM »
You can't do that!

Edit: replying to Joe C re Chelsea fans switching to QPR. Although if any fans could do it, Chelsea fans could (and seemingly did!)

I think there was also an element that QPR games were less heavily policed than Chelsea allowing a section of their fanbase to indulge in non football related activities. I am sure I first heard that suggestion after this incident:

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/99-Crowd-control-&-policing/1888-calling-a-holte

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2021, 01:34:33 PM »
Ta. Including South West fans as part of our "local" support is a bit of an odd survey choice.
Are fans from southwest France included?

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »
Interesting debate, but for those in agreement of the article, ask yourselves, for example if we were going for 3 league titles in a row and were now starting to attract the plastic fans to VP, on the final day the title was between us and one of the Sky 6, would you really want us to fail.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2021, 01:56:00 PM »
Ta. Including South West fans as part of our "local" support is a bit of an odd survey choice.
Are fans from southwest France included?

Mais oui, bien sûr !

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2021, 10:22:39 PM »
I tend to agree with Dave W, that roughly 90s level success is the sweet spot for me. Regular trips to Wembley, without them being so regular that it’s meaningless. A realistic shot at the league every so often. I think so much of ‘enjoyment’ is actually anticipation, you want to maximise that. It’s always the build up to Christmas that’s the exciting bit as a kid: the presents are nice but in reality how many were still being played with by the end of the Christmas holidays?

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2021, 10:25:07 PM »
I tend to agree with Dave W, that roughly 90s level success is the sweet spot for me. Regular trips to Wembley, without them being so regular that it’s meaningless. A realistic shot at the league every so often. I think so much of ‘enjoyment’ is actually anticipation, you want to maximise that. It’s always the build up to Christmas that’s the exciting bit as a kid: the presents are nice but in reality how many were still being played with by the end of the Christmas holidays?

That's where I am too.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2021, 11:20:26 PM »
Sage words indeed, dear algy.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2021, 09:23:04 AM »
The oxygen of football supporters is hope. That has all but vanished at Stockport City to be replaced by expectation and therefore the jeopardy, risk and unknown quantity has gone so there is no thrill, no excitement. No pain or misery banished by against the odds victory, over coming better teams and dodgy refs, no superstar, just superstars everywhere.

That's why people lose interest. It's boring.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »
We are very similar to Man City in that our fan base is mainly locally based around the Midlands as there’s is around around the Manchester area
We are not nationally or internationally supported clubs in other words we aren’t global
For what it’s worth I don’t ever want to be
I’ve never lived in Birmingham myself but after nearly 60 years never been more than an hour away from Villa Park and lived all over the Midlands and even I feel A bit of a tourist at times

I’ve only ever been called a glory hunter once and that was by a Rushden and diamonds fan
We have only just started selling out Villa Park on a regular basis so what I’m saying is I don’t think we would be dissimilar from Man City In attendances if we swaped places

I went to the Etihad in the season we were relegated I’ve mentioned this before but I actually felt sorry for them which sounds ridiculous but the soul of the club has been ripped out I think moving to a new  stadium does not help
I would never want us to do that I think the identity of Aston Villa is wrapped up in a park

Global footballing domination is not something I’m bothered about but winning something anything carabao cup FA Cup is something I want to win and share with my children as they have never seen us win anything
25 years is just too long

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2021, 10:07:10 AM »
I agree with john e and Nev. There's a word for what happens when hope is replaced by expectation and then the team fail to fulfil those expectations. That word is Arsenal. God forbid that we ever become like their entitled, bleating knobheads.

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2021, 10:19:56 AM »
Enjoyed that Dave, thank you. I'm in the same place, and I applaud your use of the term "supporter" - I have never been, and never will be, a "fan."

Offline nigel

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2021, 10:34:58 AM »
Great read.
Posted link on Facebook and received this comment from a blues mate

“Villa fans: Nigel Kennedy, Prince William, David Cameron, Tom Hanks etc...This article is hypocrisy. At least Im working class and from Birmingham.”

😂

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2021, 10:50:49 AM »
Great read.
Posted link on Facebook and received this comment from a blues mate

“Villa fans: Nigel Kennedy, Prince William, David Cameron, Tom Hanks etc...This article is hypocrisy. At least Im working class and from Birmingham.”

😂

No mention of Fred West then

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal