collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have you ever won the league?  (Read 6128 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Have you ever won the league?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
I don't think we have, to be honest. We've started pretty much every encounter with them since promotion well, including taking the lead in two of the four matches. The problem has been a combination of heads dropping when things were going against us and being utterly shafted by the officials.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 10:09:37 AM »
Yes, I do.

I want the best of success for The Villa that I think we deserve and if a few glory hunters jump on the bandwagon, so be it. Tbh, that's already happened to some extent hasn't it? Two "lifelong" Villa fans I know who were STHs for years stopped coming when we were relegated to the Championship and haven't been since....a few other peripheral Villa fans have asked me to get them tickets for our recent Wembley appearances etc. My ususal response is FTF!
Our hardcore who I mix with every home and away game will still be there.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
Ta. Including South West fans as part of our "local" support is a bit of an odd survey choice.

Yep, we're 'yokel' not 'local' :)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 10:33:11 AM »
I don't think we have, to be honest. We've started pretty much every encounter with them since promotion well, including taking the lead in two of the four matches. The problem has been a combination of heads dropping when things were going against us and being utterly shafted by the officials.
It might just be me. You are right about the officials, some of the reffing  it is just blatantly biased/bent.
Although I don't think the ref decided the game Saturday but my god how is that allowed to pass without any scrutiny.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »
For me I would substitute being successful with being competitive. It's a dismal experience turning up at Villa Park and the best you can hope for is a draw but I think not bothering to go to a cup final because you've been to the last three or four and you've already qualified for the Champions League so it doesn't really matter anyway is as miserable in its own way, like celebrating another election victory for Vladimir Putin.

You are spot on about the entitlement of the fans of those four clubs, Arsenal the worst perhaps as they have slid into mediocrity amid cries of how they deserve better. You don't. You've become accustomed to better. You deserve nothing. And imagine 30 years ago being told one day you'd watch the Villa play in safety and comfort in the Shed and you'd probably be as surprised that Stamford Bridge was hosting a semi final as Villa reaching that stage.

EDIT To clarify, when I say "competitive" I would expect trophies to be part of that, not consistently 6th under Martin O'Neill kind of competitive because that's boring too.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:51:10 AM by joe_c »

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 10:39:16 AM »

Our hardcore who I mix with every home and away game will still be there.

It’s interesting - a few “proper” Man City fans who I know spent their lives in the shadow of Man United, absolutely hating them and their support. Now they’ve got what they wished for and a few of them wish they could go back to the days when they felt much closer to the club. I’m absolutely certain that a sizeable minority of Chelsea old boys feel the same.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »
I can believe it of City fans. Less so Chelsea

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 10:47:56 AM »
I have never met a Chelsea fan who gives a toss about what they have become or how they got there.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »

I know a few of a similar vintage to me who do.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 10:53:25 AM »
I have never met a Chelsea fan who gives a toss about what they have become or how they got there.

I e met a couple of a similar vintage to me who really aren’t happy with things. They might be mor

I know a few of a similar vintage to me who do.

I read a some years ago that a few switched allegiance to QPR because of how Chelsea had gone.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City. Four more entitled and arrogant sets of supporters you could never meet, and four more soulless grounds you would be hard pushed to visit.

I might agree with you to some extent regarding the Arsenal and Manchester City stadiums. However, I don't see anything wrong with Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge.

Also, whilst recognising that supporting a football team has not been a life-long thing for me, I still find the belief of one team's supporters that they're better than another team's supporters all a bit bizarre.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 10:56:03 AM »
You can't do that!

Edit: replying to Joe C re Chelsea fans switching to QPR. Although if any fans could do it, Chelsea fans could (and seemingly did!)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:57:37 AM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 11:13:44 AM »
You can't do that!

Edit: replying to Joe C re Chelsea fans switching to QPR. Although if any fans could do it, Chelsea fans could (and seemingly did!)

How many London club's fans switched to Chelsea though?  The Tim Lovejoys of this world and other bit part celebs alike. A glory hunter is always a glory hunter and they would have switched to Liverpool or ManU long before.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
You can't do that!

How many London club's fans switched to Chelsea though?  The Tim Lovejoys of this world and other bit part celebs alike. A glory hunter is always a glory hunter and they would have switched to Liverpool or ManU long before.

The Lovejoy example renders any counter-argument redundant. What a hopeless, soulless wanker he is.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 11:29:29 AM »
You can't do that!

The Lovejoy example renders any counter-argument redundant. What a hopeless, soulless wanker he is.

The same can be applied to most Chelsea fans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal