collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle Utd - post match thread  (Read 17567 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle Utd - post match thread
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2021, 05:23:03 PM »
Still finding rhythm. Passing is a little cumbersome. Maybe we were a tad cautious given wet conditions, but some balls just seemed a bit light. Got better as the game went on though and our midfield began to dominate. Great finish from Ings. He didn't get much else otherwise, but the service wasn't quite there. Ings isn't generally going to drop deep and get the ball, and when he's so good within 12 yards, nor should he. In a 3 he doesn't have to work channels as much. The key thing though, much like Bent I guess when he was here, he's sharp when his moment comes. (Ings all round play and workrate is of course, better than Bent's was). Ramsey was man of the match for me. He's probably the one CM who has a bit of zip about the way he drives forward. There's a turn of pace there. So it seems evident why he's playing. Ash Young was composed all game. Newcastle have pace in the side but didn't seem to direct them too wide and try to isolate him (that'd be too outrageously adventurous for Bruce). I did think, understandably, Ash tired after 75 minutes. They could have exploited that better but didn't. (Again...Bruce)...El Goalzi's penalty was typically superb. Not much else quite came off for him in the final third. Same with Beundia.

Overall, is this becoming a banker fixture? Lets see how we do against Brentford. As for Smith, for me he should have made some subs a little earlier. Better opposition might punish us more. We were looking leggy in places.

Additional note, although their offside goal was technically offside, it's the kind of decision I really don't like. It's so tight, so borderline and back in the day they'd give the advantage to the attacker. I know it evens out and Watkins suffered similar a few times last season, but dragging the game to a halt to make those calls is also frustrating. Had that been us, I'd have been annoyed. Our pen was a more useful use of VAR. That's something it should be there for as that was very clear cut. An inch offside? Neh. Just give it to the attackers.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »
Well done Villa off and running and a clean sheet, hopefully Bailey and Ollie will be back soon.

UP THE VILLA

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2021, 05:25:34 PM »
The ref was dismal today, not remotely competent.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline supertom

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2021, 05:27:40 PM »
When we're missing Traore, Watkins and Bailey it is nice to have a fairly routine win.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2021, 05:28:43 PM »
A win was needed, and it is always pleasing to take three points against against Potato Head. Fantastic goal from Ings and a cool penalty from El Ghazi. Other than that...

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2021, 05:32:40 PM »
Still finding rhythm. Passing is a little cumbersome. Maybe we were a tad cautious given wet conditions, but some balls just seemed a bit light. Got better as the game went on though and our midfield began to dominate. Great finish from Ings. He didn't get much else otherwise, but the service wasn't quite there. Ings isn't generally going to drop deep and get the ball, and when he's so good within 12 yards, nor should he. In a 3 he doesn't have to work channels as much. The key thing though, much like Bent I guess when he was here, he's sharp when his moment comes. (Ings all round play and workrate is of course, better than Bent's was). Ramsey was man of the match for me. He's probably the one CM who has a bit of zip about the way he drives forward. There's a turn of pace there. So it seems evident why he's playing. Ash Young was composed all game. Newcastle have pace in the side but didn't seem to direct them too wide and try to isolate him (that'd be too outrageously adventurous for Bruce). I did think, understandably, Ash tired after 75 minutes. They could have exploited that better but didn't. (Again...Bruce)...El Goalzi's penalty was typically superb. Not much else quite came off for him in the final third. Same with Beundia.

Overall, is this becoming a banker fixture? Lets see how we do against Brentford. As for Smith, for me he should have made some subs a little earlier. Better opposition might punish us more. We were looking leggy in places.

Additional note, although their offside goal was technically offside, it's the kind of decision I really don't like. It's so tight, so borderline and back in the day they'd give the advantage to the attacker. I know it evens out and Watkins suffered similar a few times last season, but dragging the game to a halt to make those calls is also frustrating. Had that been us, I'd have been annoyed. Our pen was a more useful use of VAR. That's something it should be there for as that was very clear cut. An inch offside? Neh. Just give it to the attackers.

It wasn't a goal, their offside was picked up as part of the penalty being checked. No guarantee they'd score with Emi in goal.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
A good result considering I thought we’d struggle.  Ramsey was good, Buendia better than last week and Ings did what he does.

Now, go get that centre midfield general…

Offline KRS

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »
Wilson was clearly offside with or without the lines. If he hadn’t have been taken out by Emi and scored in a 1v1 situation then I’d have expected the linesman to have flagged it even without the use of VAR.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2021, 05:44:47 PM »
Whilst it might be easy to criticise him, remember:

Deano has lost RO'K and JT from his coaching team, as well as "He who cannot be named".

He's working on developing a new style of play, whilst trying to correct the deficiencies identified from last season and integrating a whole bunch of new players and bringing JJ on and giving Chucky and JPB essebtial minutes as they develop their game awareness and confidence.

Piece of piss really.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2021, 05:50:18 PM »
happier with the energy in the middle of the park today

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »
I posted on Facebook this morning that I had a horrible gut feeling that Jonjo Shelvey would have his one good game of the season today, I was wrong, he didn't play!  Well done Villa I'd had my doubts all week, shows what I know.  Keep it up.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2021, 05:54:48 PM »
Defensively we looked better for sure.cash was better today than last week as was mings second half especially

Id play targett vs barrow to get his confidence back

Newcastle are dreadful they could go down in my opinion

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2021, 05:55:53 PM »
Rather horribly for Newcastle they don't just look bad, but also unlucky.

Offline Stu82

• GM : 29.09.2024
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2021, 05:56:50 PM »
The ref was dismal today, not remotely competent.
Some of the fouls he just let go was ridiculous

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal