collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leon Bailey - signed  (Read 308920 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Leon Bailey - signed
« Reply #1425 on: August 07, 2022, 10:02:28 AM »
I'd agree with that. We'd have been better served moving him central as there was no space wide 2nd half. Archer, Watkins and Bailey pushed against each centre half and  oth full backs very high. Given how deep they were and how well Kamara covers ground, we'd have been better for it.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #1426 on: August 07, 2022, 11:18:51 AM »
1 in 10 player. Bring back Traore asap.

At least we know what we're getting with him - he won't defend for shit, but poses some sort of goal threat.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1427 on: August 07, 2022, 11:31:24 AM »

Sounds like you want to send Leon back to Kingston Town.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1428 on: August 07, 2022, 11:55:51 AM »
I thought he was our best attacking player for most of the first half, but he was getting no help or options even when he created space in the attacking areas.
Then he faded completely out of the game.

He was dire in second half. You could see the Bailey from last season, afraid to take on his man, poor body language and ultimately looking to be taken out of his misery. It's hard to be too critical of an individual yesterday given the collective shit show but simply he lacks zip about him.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1429 on: August 07, 2022, 12:32:04 PM »
I would just let him g out there no pressure just play

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1430 on: August 08, 2022, 09:40:51 AM »
I thought he was our best attacking player for most of the first half, but he was getting no help or options even when he created space in the attacking areas.

He was dire in second half. You could see the Bailey from last season, afraid to take on his man, poor body language and ultimately looking to be taken out of his misery. It's hard to be too critical of an individual yesterday given the collective shit show but simply he lacks zip about him.

As that's the case he's a confidence player and with the right support behind him both by the fans and the coaches he can prove his worth.
Still has opportunity this season and at a full house at Villa Park he can be flying on Saturday.
I hope he's given another game rather than out the team and he can play alongside Watkins Vs Everton.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1431 on: August 08, 2022, 02:31:50 PM »

At least we know what we're getting with him - he won't defend for shit, but poses some sort of goal threat.

I really like Bert. He's an entertaining watch. But he's got something like 7 goals in 45 league matches for us.  Let's not re-write history and turn him into Eden Hazard.

Leon is a good player, quite tricky, has a decent shot on him, but clearly his biggest asset is his pace - and a pacey winger isn't much use when you're playing against a side sitting deep, with 10 men behind the ball and parking the bus.  After the second minute, it wasn't a game where he was going to shine, unfortunately.  He will play better, and he will contribute more as the season progresses.  One poor game in a terrible team display doesn't define him.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1432 on: August 08, 2022, 02:40:35 PM »

I really like Bert. He's an entertaining watch. But he's got something like 7 goals in 45 league matches for us.  Let's not re-write history and turn him into Eden Hazard.

Mickey Hazard maybe.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1433 on: August 08, 2022, 02:48:47 PM »
How many of Bert's appearances have been as sub?

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1434 on: August 08, 2022, 03:32:44 PM »

What on earth am I reading?! Do we even have another player outside of Leon Bailey with zip or the ability to square up a defender and take them on? Let alone both attributes..?

He is clearly being used incorrectly. In the first half he was isolated which allowed him to take advantage of the space around him. In the second half, things changed. Buendia and Coutinho were allowed to roam in upper half of the pitch which restricted his space and we could barely get the ball out to him. It's not his fault we play with the handbrake on. McGinn, Ramsey and Coutinho couldn't decisively get forward with pace for the life of them.

Leon Bailey seemed like the only one that knew where the goal was for the first 60 minutes.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 04:56:57 PM by villadelph »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1435 on: August 08, 2022, 03:56:22 PM »

The pace in which we play will never allow for our wide players to have the space needed to do anything. By the time the ball got out to him there was always two players waiting for him and pushing him almost to the touchline. Think back to how much space Ash or even Downing used to have under MON. The likes of Barry used to get the ball out to the wide spaces so quickly that they had room to run into. We are pedestrian by comparison. Then add in that on Saturday we had McGinn playing almost a wide right midfield position, we had Cash trying to overlap and then you have Bailey. It was far too congested. Give him room and he will exploit it.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1436 on: August 08, 2022, 04:45:05 PM »

What on earth am I reading?! Do we even have another player outside of Leon Bailey with zip or the ability to square up a defender and take them on? Let alone both attributes..?

He is clearly being used incorrectly. In the fire half he was isolated which allowed him to take advantage of the space around him. In the second half, things changed. Buendia and Coutinho were allowed to roam in upper half of the pitch which restricted his space and we could barely get the ball out to him. It's not his fault we play with the handbrake on. McGinn, Ramsey and Coutinho couldn't decisively get forward with pace for the life of them.

Leon Bailey seemed like the only one that knew where the goal was for the first 60 minutes.

He's a winger bolted onto a wingless formation fair enough but I don't think he has the belief to take a defender on anyway. No sign of that explosive pace either just the same predictable cut inside on his left and look for space for a cross to nowhere. Up against a complete rookie at this level but after a bright start he never looked to expose him.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1437 on: August 08, 2022, 05:10:42 PM »
Well one good half from Bailey was better than just about everybody else in the team, so I'll hang on to that as a mild positive.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #1438 on: August 08, 2022, 05:21:30 PM »
Too many occasions on Saturday where was picking up the ball with his back to goal. He needs to be receiving the ball facing his man more with Cash going on the outside. Obviously once Bournemouth scored within 2 minutes they were always going to sit deep meaning it was more likely that Bailey would be predominately receiving the ball this way. But it's something that needs ironing out to get the most out of him. He's still building a partnership with Cash so it needs time to bed in.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1439 on: August 20, 2022, 02:40:07 PM »
Come on Leon Bailey lets get back to the pre season form today away at Palace.
Can take advantage of their full backs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal