collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Drummond
[Today at 01:27:34 PM]

The Running thread by AV82EC
[Today at 01:11:02 PM]

Champions League 2024-2025 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:54 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:24:11 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Dogtanian
[Today at 12:15:23 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[Today at 09:27:19 AM]

Alex Moreno - shirt stretched by Bad English
[Today at 06:41:16 AM]

The End of the Line - David O'Leary by adrenachrome
[Today at 06:35:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FFP  (Read 191587 times)

Offline rougegorge

Re: FFP
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2023, 05:34:40 PM »
Everton will still probably avoid relegation due to exceptionally low points tallies at the bottom this season.

However, like a lot of people, I am also wondering about Man City and Chelsea.

Pep will say it is all wrong and is nothing to do with his time at the club etc, but if there have been transgressions (and the list against Man City is very long), neither Man City nor Chelsea would have been in the position they are now and have been over the last ten years or more to accrue such wealth and wield huge spending power.

Their many trophies would be attributable to a lot of what has gone on before. 

I expect nothing significant will happen to either of them and any fines would be like water of a duck's back to them.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2023, 08:55:12 PM »
The FA may be under pressure to make an example of someone because of the independent regulator thing that's coming in. But in imposing 10 points on Everton they're kind of implying that if Man City and Chelsea are guilty of their breaches then they're going to be suffering Rangers-like multiple relegations. Which would be great in my book. About time the rules were applied the same to everyone.

Rangers only got punished with a 10 pt deduction by the SFA and certainly didn't suffer multiple relegations as part of any punishment. The entity of Glasgow Rangers went into administration and finally liquidation. The new entity tried to keep the old businesses place in the SPL, with them and SFA wanting them to start directly in Div 1. Luckily they were only allowed to start in the third by the SFL clubs.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2023, 09:12:37 PM »
I stand corrected. I'd still like to see Man City relegated to the National League though.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2023, 09:47:05 PM »
The FA may be under pressure to make an example of someone because of the independent regulator thing that's coming in. But in imposing 10 points on Everton they're kind of implying that if Man City and Chelsea are guilty of their breaches then they're going to be suffering Rangers-like multiple relegations. Which would be great in my book. About time the rules were applied the same to everyone.
It won’t be though.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2023, 09:58:03 PM »
There’s more chance of Villa being done for ffp than Man City or Chelsea. Not on any rational basis but just because.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2023, 08:13:31 AM »
I think Chelsea are more fucked than Man City.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2023, 09:49:22 AM »
I think Chelsea are more fucked than Man City.
They have admitted it and Co-operated thinking that as it was under a previous regime they would get clemency.
Man citeh on the other hand have thrown an army of lawyers at it and raised the drawbridge.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2023, 11:28:38 AM »
Would someone please confirm (hopefully) that we are in the clear as regards to ffp

I don’t fully understand the ffp rules as they seem to change every now and again

Clarification would be gratefully appreciated

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2023, 11:43:55 AM »
Would someone please confirm (hopefully) that we are in the clear as regards to ffp

I don’t fully understand the ffp rules as they seem to change every now and again

Clarification would be gratefully appreciated

I don't believe you can ever know "for certain", as club accounts don't go to the level of detail required to know what our FFP position is to the exact £.  But people far better informed in these things than I am, can - and do - go through club player transactions and revenues to get rough idea of what the FFP position is, which might be close enough to be within a couple of million of the real position.  The difficulty comes when player transactions and values aren't public knowledge.

The short version is we're almost certainly in the clear right now, thanks to the sales of homegrown players over the last few years, all of which gets counted on your FFP books as "profit" the year of the sale.  How much wiggle room we have to allow spending in January, I've no idea - but I'm sure there are a few people in this thread who have a pretty good idea of how much more we can spend before it gets into dangerous territory.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2023, 11:51:53 AM »
The short version is we're almost certainly in the clear right now, thanks to the sales of homegrown players over the last few years, all of which gets counted on your FFP books as "profit" the year of the sale. 

At the VERY least, those homegrown player sales show (and I think at the end of the summer there were people from the club on record saying) that it's something we're making sure we stay on the correct side of.

Offline Smithy

« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2023, 12:23:53 PM »
it's also worth bearing in mind, that the FFP rules don't create a "level playing field".  Our total revenue was about £180m last year.  Man City's wage bill ALONE was £422m.  They're almost playing a different sport entirely.

Will we ever get to the point where we are paying the sorts of wages seen at the top end of the table? Possibly, but it will take a pretty significant set of changes to the club across the board to realise it.  Qualifying for European football was a great start.  Next step is the Champions League and all the extra commercial benefits this presents.  We probably need to be a £300m+ revenue club to challenge at the top end of the table and not have to worry too much about FFP.  That would put us up with the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal.  Even West Ham are at £250m. 

We're on the right track though, and going from mid-table in the Championship to Champions League contenders in five years without falling foul of FFP rules is pretty impressive.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2023, 02:14:28 PM »
On this day in 2011 Citeh announced losses of £197 million. Quite the turnaround in fortunes don't you think.

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2023, 02:22:55 PM »
On this day in 2011 Citeh announced losses of £197 million. Quite the turnaround in fortunes don't you think.
Chelsea posted losses of £200m in their last accounts

Offline Smithy

« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2023, 02:35:40 PM »
Chelsea posted losses of £200m in their last accounts
You can lose money as a club, and more than the FFP amounts, but not on players/playing costs.  For example, I think all the money we're ploughing to the ground and the new academy buildings will cost us loads, but they aren't included in the FFP calculations.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2023, 03:17:03 PM »
Nothing will happen to City or Chelsea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal