collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emi Buendia - Injured  (Read 237504 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Emi Buendia - Signed
« Reply #1710 on: February 27, 2023, 10:19:27 AM »
Putting this here because Buendia has made Garth's team of the week (as has Martinez).
But FFS:

Emiliano Buendia (Aston Villa)
Awarding penalties are within the gift of the referee and nobody else - even if we disagree with him it his ultimately his opinion.

Anthony Taylor's decision to award Aston Villa a penalty for the tackle by Everton's Idrissa Gueye on Buendia, were he to look at it again, video evidence would show Gueye made contact with the ball first and minimal contact with the player.

But the Argentina international made all the difference when he came on the pitch just after the hour mark and took Villa's performance into overdrive. Having won the penalty he sealed the match with a excellent finish.

Ignoring everything else that's wrong with this this bit is just a lie. The first contact is knee-to-knee and happens when his foot is a good 6-8 inches away from the ball, just looking at the angles shows you that the only way he get to the ball is by making contact with McGinn first. Whether he got anything on the ball is debateable anyway but if he did it definitely didn't happen first.

I've refused to comment on various social media regarding this mate, as to me and clearly to you it's so blatently obvious that I'd find myself questioning the sanity of anyone that can't see it and would probably become abusive.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1711 on: February 27, 2023, 11:42:25 AM »
This idea that any touch on the ball, regardless of when it happens and how minimal it is, means it’s not a foul is just nonsense.

Online LeeB

« Reply #1712 on: February 27, 2023, 11:48:35 AM »
This idea that any touch on the ball, regardless of when it happens and how minimal it is, means it’s not a foul is just nonsense.

Like the old Arsenal center halves claiming they've 'got the ball' after first scything through the centre forward from behind.

If Gueye had touched the ball and then made contact with McGinn in that position it's not a penalty, but it's obviously the other way around.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1713 on: February 27, 2023, 12:02:39 PM »
He didnt touch the ball FFS

Online LeeB

« Reply #1714 on: February 27, 2023, 12:21:51 PM »

No, you're right, but he'd still fouled McGinn before that bobble on the ball that had made it look like he had made contact.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1715 on: February 27, 2023, 01:11:25 PM »

But even that can be foul with the follow through

Like the old Arsenal center halves claiming they've 'got the ball' after first scything through the centre forward from behind.

If Gueye had touched the ball and then made contact with McGinn in that position it's not a penalty, but it's obviously the other way around.

Online LeeB

« Reply #1716 on: February 27, 2023, 01:14:10 PM »

But even that can be foul with the follow through

It can, but I don't think it would have been in the contest of that challenge

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1717 on: February 27, 2023, 02:20:05 PM »

No, you're right, but he'd still fouled McGinn before that bobble on the ball that had made it look like he had made contact.
Yes, no argument and as has been prove by the cameras.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1718 on: February 27, 2023, 02:52:19 PM »
I watched Emi's goal back earlier and what was really impressive was how we got the ball forward by varying our method a bit.

The move started with the ball in Martinez's hands. He decided to launch it long up the pitch, which (inevitably) resulted in an Everton CB heading it back into our half. Mings emerged with the ball and decided to drive into their half, but then cut it back to Moreno. We passed it around a bit, and ended up towards our box, still in comfortable possession, with Mings on the ball again. Everton had followed the ball, pressing quite high, and so Mings played a lovely ball over the top to Watkins - his first touch pass was impeccable, right into McGinn's path and we were away. The Everton midfield were all in our half, so SJM had an age to drive forward and pick a pass to Emi. All he had to do then was the footballing equivalent of when you pretend to throw a tennis ball for a dog, and the three Everton players all ran after it with their tongues out. 2-0.

I think Emery got frustrated against Leicester, in particular, when we didn't mix things up enough. He wants us to play out from the back, but also to know when to go a bit longer. Tyrone did that perfectly on Saturday. I would hope Carlos is a bit more capable in that department than Konsa as well, so if we have the two of them playing together, we should hopefully be able to move up the pitch with a bit more ease in the future. Plus, everyone will get better the more we do this.

It's easy to identify when this sort of tactic goes wrong. And it's usually pretty humiliating as well. But I think we are starting to see some tangible benefits to it as well.

Online LeeB

« Reply #1719 on: February 27, 2023, 02:59:35 PM »
I watched Emi's goal back earlier and what was really impressive was how we got the ball forward by varying our method a bit.

The move started with the ball in Martinez's hands. He decided to launch it long up the pitch, which (inevitably) resulted in an Everton CB heading it back into our half. Mings emerged with the ball and decided to drive into their half, but then cut it back to Moreno. We passed it around a bit, and ended up towards our box, still in comfortable possession, with Mings on the ball again. Everton had followed the ball, pressing quite high, and so Mings played a lovely ball over the top to Watkins - his first touch pass was impeccable, right into McGinn's path and we were away. The Everton midfield were all in our half, so SJM had an age to drive forward and pick a pass to Emi. All he had to do then was the footballing equivalent of when you pretend to throw a tennis ball for a dog, and the three Everton players all ran after it with their tongues out. 2-0.

I think Emery got frustrated against Leicester, in particular, when we didn't mix things up enough. He wants us to play out from the back, but also to know when to go a bit longer. Tyrone did that perfectly on Saturday. I would hope Carlos is a bit more capable in that department than Konsa as well, so if we have the two of them playing together, we should hopefully be able to move up the pitch with a bit more ease in the future. Plus, everyone will get better the more we do this.

It's easy to identify when this sort of tactic goes wrong. And it's usually pretty humiliating as well. But I think we are starting to see some tangible benefits to it as well.

Ha ha, that's excatly it!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1720 on: February 27, 2023, 03:49:17 PM »

Ha ha, that's excatly it!

I predict it will be a whisker away from Goal of the Month.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1721 on: February 27, 2023, 03:51:02 PM »

Our second against the Arse and the move which resulted in Bailey hitting the bar are similar examples of us building from the back and either playing it short or long. Variety is the key - once all the players have learned how to pass and when to go short or long.

Online LeeB

« Reply #1722 on: February 27, 2023, 03:52:31 PM »

Our second against the Arse and the move which resulted in Bailey hitting the bar are similar examples of us building from the back and either playing it short or long. Variety is the key - once all the players have learned how to pass and when to go short or long.

Sucking the opposition in is the key.

That's 'in' and not 'off'.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1723 on: February 27, 2023, 03:57:14 PM »

Sucking the opposition in is the key.

That's 'in' and not 'off'.

Exactly right, the way to stop a high press is to draw them in and then get in behind, do it 2-3 times and the press drops back 20 yards and gives you time to and space to play in, or they don't and you get a result like the one against Liverpool a couple of years back.

Offline papa lazarou

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #1724 on: February 27, 2023, 08:20:13 PM »
Putting this here because Buendia has made Garth's team of the week (as has Martinez).
But FFS:

Emiliano Buendia (Aston Villa)
Awarding penalties are within the gift of the referee and nobody else - even if we disagree with him it his ultimately his opinion.

Anthony Taylor's decision to award Aston Villa a penalty for the tackle by Everton's Idrissa Gueye on Buendia, were he to look at it again, video evidence would show Gueye made contact with the ball first and minimal contact with the player.

But the Argentina international made all the difference when he came on the pitch just after the hour mark and took Villa's performance into overdrive. Having won the penalty he sealed the match with a excellent finish.

The implication being that penalties shall only be awarded if all the opponents in the box are fouled. Garth thinking outside the box again.
but failing to notice it was Mcginn who won the penalty.

You'd think that someone at the BBC would have at least watched the highlights and suggested an edit.

Just taken another look tonight and amendments have been made to name McGinn as the player involved in the penalty incident.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal