collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crystal Palace 3-2 Utterly inept Aston Villa  (Read 11706 times)

Online jwarry

Re: Crystal Palace 3-2 Utterly inept Aston Villa
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »
Really don’t understand all this Ramsey criticism, the kid is just 19 FFS! This is all valuable experience food and bad

Offline AlwaysVilla

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2021, 02:10:56 PM »
This was a game when everyone could see we needed to make changes very early 2nd half. Ramsey was completely lost and Doug had no support in midfield. We were completely over run and Smith as ever sat on his hands.  Time and time  again he does this until the opposition scores and
 he throws on poor old Davis to try and salvage something. 
It might be unpopular and I'm.sure I will be slaughtered but I just do not see Smith matching our ambitious owners. The performances I  the last 20 games aside of Everton have been relegation standard

Offline Jane

• GM : 02.07.2021
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2021, 02:11:29 PM »
We actually looked worse when Jack came on.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »
Really don’t understand all this Ramsey criticism, the kid is just 19 FFS! This is all valuable experience food and bad

OK, there no need to make a meal of it.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2021, 02:12:38 PM »

He'll be hungry for success I'm sure.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2021, 02:13:02 PM »
Ramsey's performance provides the answer to all those wanting us to chuck even younger players into the team. It is nice in principle to think these games are a free hit to experiment but in reality we want to win. And the step up to first team football is huge.

You can see Jacob just wants a split second too long on the ball sometimes and struggles to make an impact when it is going against us. Still only 19 and these games will do him the world of good.

Douglas had a good game I thought. McGinn is an odd now. Does so much good work but goes through patches in games when he constantly gives the ball away, and often in dangerous areas.

Luiz is part of the midfield that Palace just walked through. We need an upgrade if he is supposed to have enforcer responsibilities

Online jwarry

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2021, 02:13:09 PM »

OK, there no need to make a meal of it.

😁

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2021, 02:13:22 PM »

He has to swallow it and move on

Online jwarry

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2021, 02:13:55 PM »

Just needs a bit more bite

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »
Utterly predictable, good first half then threw it away against a team physically pressing us higher up the pitch and we just didn't seem to want to know. Massively missed Mings leadership.

Score on the doors

Martinez - 7 - Couldn't do much about any of the goals.
Elmo - 5 - seemed to run out of gas in the last 20 and seemed to keep losing Zaha who grew in confidence.
Konsa - 5 - seemed very unsure of himself today
Hause - 7 - up for the battle and a good showing
Targett - 7 - thought he kept Townsend reasonably quiet and did his job defensively
Luiz - 4 - good first half and was bossing the play but utterly lost the plot second half and his lack of physicality showed
McGinn - 6 - very good first half but another who faded dreadfully second half
Ramsey - 3 - not bad first half but did he come out for the second half
Traore - 2 - Dear oh dear
El Ghazi - 4 - was on course for a 7 or 8 score then utterly disappeared in the second half
Watkins - 4 - another good first half ran channels, was aggressive but really poor 2nd half hold up play abysmal and not in the game.

Subs
Grealish - 5 - meh
Davis and Wes - just didn't have long enough

Smith - 3 - really poor, in a game you're not in any great danger of losing, to not react at all to the changes Hodgson made was criminal and all the impetus and energy went out of the team. His changes were yet again too late and seemed to lack any thought as to how to rescue a point, as others said it was a lambertesque Bradford at home moment.

So on we go.....

Online Clampy

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2021, 02:14:46 PM »
We actually looked worse when Jack came on.

I said the same thing in our whatts app group.

As for Ramsey, he should have gone off for maybe Nakamba. They were cutting through us in that first half. No criticism of the player himself mind.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »
I think it's been said already, but that was  similar to Burnley, in performance and score.

Don Goodman had it right in the first half saying how we retreated or let Palace play further forward each time after scoring. We were playing so well before we scored.

The midfield trio just seemed to go AWOL in the second half to let Palace play higher up and we let their two good players have too much of the ball. After McGinn got a yellow card, he was subdued and Luiz and Ramsey didn't do enough.

Again, Smith didn't appear to react to a change in the pattern especially in the second half.

Contrast today to the performance against Palace on Boxing Day with 10 men.

Online jwarry

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »
The worst thing is I am now watching Spudz Dingles and finding myself supporting Spudz to keep those oiks below us!

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2021, 02:16:35 PM »
A dire 2nd half performance, after such a promising star, Palace were much the better side in the 2nd half.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2021, 02:17:32 PM »
I hate to critisise young players trying to make it at the top but I've seen enough of Ramsey now to form an opinion. I just don't see him making any real influence in a game. He's busy he works hard and gets in good positions but that seems to be his sum total. I can't think of a top drawer moment involving him where I've jumped out of my seat with excitement. Hopefully he'll go on to prove me wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal