collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Super Big Six Man Utd pre match thread  (Read 17329 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Aston Villa vs Super Big Six Man Utd pre match thread
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »
If the turnstiles were open today, I'd have definitely been there.
The mix of sky, manure, biased pundits and commentary, dodgy refs and var is not a good mix for me, so I'll be following the game on the Villa App (if it decides to work properly for me today).
Let's do these esl pretenders! UTV!

Offline Villan82

« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »
This game. This ******* game. Anybody wants to compare our stats against these with every other team in the PL era (not that we were much better in the past), here you go
https://www.11v11.com/teams/manchester-united/tab/stats/

Tbh I'm surprised we've drawn almost a quarter of the games, doesn't feel like that.

I'm sure most of those were down to us not being able to hold out and conceding late, so they'd feel like defeats anyway.

We've rescued a point twice. Four goalless draws, six capitulations.

We had a run of three 0-0s in a row in mid 90s under SBL. Fergie proper hated our approach in our days as he knew we had a cracking team back to front (indeed he tipped us to challenge for the league for the season after we won league cup) so much better than some of his patronising comments after wins in the last decade he was there.

I always think that awful Sunday night game in the FA cup when they scored three times in last 15 minutes completely broke our spirit as a club v them as our record in the 90s wasn't that bad compared to most of the league (we had a worse record v Leicester in those times) and since then we just have no belief even if we're 2 up at home as we showed under Houllier and Lambert in future seasons.

One day it will change. I do think there's more belief in the team playing them nowadays but we just lack that bit of luck at crucial moments and heads then drop.

For example get back to 1-1 at Old Trafford and feels we're the team going to be on top for next 15 minutes and two minutes later Pogba completely manufactures a penalty so we're behind and chasing the game once more.

The bit in bold is bang on. I thought a lot of things changed that night (and, arguably, that season). We had been challengers in the mid to late 90s but the noughties saw us fall behind.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2021, 11:24:31 AM »
My most painful game ever and always. Much much more than Blues or Albion. It’s the humiliations over the years and brummie ****** sitting all smug amongst us that boils my piss to steam. I hate them I hate them.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
My most painful game ever and always. Much much more than Blues or Albion. It’s the humiliations over the years and brummie ****** sitting all smug amongst us that boils my piss to steam. I hate them I hate them.

My hatred is clearly similar to yours. I’m still bitter about 1993, and 2010. That 3-2 in the cup was a back breaker. The same score at OT when that Italian came off the bench and scored a wonder goal before barely scoring again for them. The 2-2 at VP when we were two and playing superb.

I’d love it if we smashed them to bits this afternoon, love it.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2021, 12:00:15 PM »
Without me looking through the thread, has there been any news on the "match preparedness" of john e and Meanwood Villa yet?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2021, 12:23:09 PM »

My hatred is clearly similar to yours. I’m still bitter about 1993, and 2010. That 3-2 in the cup was a back breaker. The same score at OT when that Italian came off the bench and scored a wonder goal before barely scoring again for them. The 2-2 at VP when we were two and playing superb.

I’d love it if we smashed them to bits this afternoon, love it.

Same here, those were all sore ones as was the Hernandez hat-trick in 2012.

However the 1-0 defeat to Liverpool in the 1992 FA Cup remains the most painful game ever for me. Watched it with my 4 Liverpool supporting Uni roommates, a good Villa team plus the fact that they only had to beat Portsmouth and Sunderland after that. Have never been keen on the blue and yellow away kit anyway.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2021, 12:52:33 PM »
Sweapstake for today's dodgy, game changing decision...... 36 minutes.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2021, 01:14:27 PM »
Without me looking through the thread, has there been any news on the "match preparedness" of john e and Meanwood Villa yet?

I think maybe my suggestion of starting at 6am has not gone well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal