collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread  (Read 16820 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2021, 09:23:03 PM »
In my book Smith lost us that game today with his safety first idea of going to Liverpool not to lose Every one knows how poor their centre halfs were in the week against Real Instead of giving Ollie some help and putting pressure on them by playing Davis he stayed to his one and only way of playing and Liverpool had as easy a afternoon as they could only of dreamed of I could not believe it when he brought Barkley on instead of Davies Hopefully the rumours in the week that Purslow wants a bigger name and better manager to take the club on to bigger and better things are true because the run we have had since Christmas is just not good enough and i think Smith has shown  in that time he has probably took us as far as he can

He's improved us year on year for three seasons. How is that taking us as far as he can?

Offline Taylor

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2021, 09:26:03 PM »
In my book Smith lost us that game today with his safety first idea of going to Liverpool not to lose Every one knows how poor their centre halfs were in the week against Real Instead of giving Ollie some help and putting pressure on them by playing Davis he stayed to his one and only way of playing and Liverpool had as easy a afternoon as they could only of dreamed of I could not believe it when he brought Barkley on instead of Davies Hopefully the rumours in the week that Purslow wants a bigger name and better manager to take the club on to bigger and better things are true because the run we have had since Christmas is just not good enough and i think Smith has shown  in that time he has probably took us as far as he can

I cannot fathom the anti Smith posts on this thread. After a loss by the slimmest of margins against the league champions. FFS, can you imagine the laughing stock we would be if we sacked Dean now.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2021, 09:28:58 PM »

I cannot fathom the anti Smith posts on this thread. After a loss by the slimmest of margins against the league champions. FFS, can you imagine the laughing stock we would be if we sacked Dean now.

People come out with stuff like this whoever the manager is. People were questioning who would want the job if we sacked Steve Bruce. We're an enormous club with some of the richest owners in world football. Sooner or later they're going to want a manager who matches the size of the club.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2021, 09:30:23 PM »
Craig Shakespeare big enough for you?

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2021, 09:33:26 PM »
Thats very true but if Villa finish say 10th-12th I can't see the owners sending Smith on his way.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2021, 09:35:44 PM »
What is hard to understand about in my opinion Smith has taken us as far as he can . I do not think he is capable of making us better and i have said so  We will see

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2021, 09:42:51 PM »
What is hard to understand about in my opinion Smith has taken us as far as he can . I do not think he is capable of making us better and i have said so  We will see

Your opinion - fine. And I stick to what I say; you can't say he's taken us as far as he can when so far he's taking us further all the time.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2021, 09:52:18 PM »
I have said it i  cant see him taking us on to bigger and better things  I hope he proves me wrong .

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2021, 10:43:17 PM »
I have said it i  cant see him taking us on to bigger and better things  I hope he proves me wrong .

& what did you think this time last year?
I’d imagine like most of us you thought he couldn’t keep us in this division, let alone make us safe in it on the following season before this time this year - so yes, let’s hope he does keep proving you wrong.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2021, 11:06:11 PM »
DS has said that he wanted to get Barkley on as he can change a game. What player has he been watching over the last month or so? Only thing he changed was to contribute to us losing by being so lazy. Really wouldn’t mind if he never played for us ever again.

I was surprised to see Barkley come on first as Smith didn't give him a minute against Fulham when we were chasing it. I think it's been clear for some time that Barkley won't be kept on next season. If ever there was a case for finishing up a loan early, this is it.
it was an awfull decision, he got every sub wrong.

And last week he got every sub right

So on average, over the two games, he did ok
Yes last week he did, which makes his selection and subs even more baffling.

I thought this week was more difficult as the various injuries & knocks (Luiz - head injury or whatever it was, Traore getting a slight knock which appeared to cause a flare up of the injury he sustained to his ribs in the hoardings thi to ther week, & then Trez turning his knee) meant that we not only lost the flow and momentum at the time of those injuries, it meant subs were made on the hoof rather than planned. The subs today were for injuries, not tactics.

Having said that, he could definitely be better at lateral thinking in those moments & using an injury to change things up. That creativity and quickness of thinking could well be a shortfall in his managerial ability. However, it isn’t an easy thing - you are planning one way to switch it up, & then a player who is key to the shape you have in mind turns out to be the one coming off (Trez in particular was a bad one to lose today at a point where he was finding space) - you have moments really to get 11 man on the pitch again - & the option of something pretty much ‘like for like’ while you think about it a bit more must be the one at the top of your mind.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2021, 11:22:23 PM »
The stuff about Smith reminds me of people barking about transfer fees being too high before the player has kicked a ball.

If we stall he will be under pressure, if we regress he will certainly lose his job, the only question is time. Neither of those has happened, criticism of his management is valid, questioning his position isn't. As things stand.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2021, 11:29:53 PM »
The stuff about Smith reminds me of people barking about transfer fees being too high before the player has kicked a ball.

If we stall he will be under pressure, if we regress he will certainly lose his job, the only question is time. Neither of those has happened, criticism of his management is valid, questioning his position isn't. As things stand.

Be sure to let us know when questioning his position does become valid.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2021, 11:55:17 PM »
I would love to hear Smiths reasoning for bringing Barkley on because for me it was puzzling in the extreme. Davis after being an important part of the improvement last week was ignored, hows that for building a players confidence? The first half we kept giving the ball away cheaply JM being a main culprit, we were lucky Mings brain fart came to nothing early on. Liverpool were the more skilful side overaul and just about deserved it, we need to strengthen but it would be better surely to give two or three of the kids game time just to see where they are in their development.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2021, 01:19:53 AM »
Identical in many ways to last season's game at VP - No Jack but we take the lead; Liverpool have a goal disallowed by VAR for an armpit/gnat's pube being offside and they eventually come from behind to win at the death. I could see it coming, I just assumed it would be Mané off the bench adding to his collection of goals against us.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2021, 06:57:58 AM »
Identical in many ways to last season's game at VP - No Jack but we take the lead; Liverpool have a goal disallowed by VAR for an armpit/gnat's pube being offside and they eventually come from behind to win at the death. I could see it coming, I just assumed it would be Mané off the bench adding to his collection of goals against us.
Smiths subs were a factor in that game as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal