collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread  (Read 16807 times)

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
Re: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2021, 07:52:49 PM »
6 home defeats on the bounce and desperately need to turn it round?  Players going through a rough patch and not scored for aeons? Fear not, the ever obliging Aston Villa are your ideal next opponents, pants down, bent double, gaping hole, fully lubed, written invitation.

Liverpool looked pretty ordinary by their standards and we chucked that away.   Two points pissed away at Newcastle in injury time, and another one here. 

Smith has to take the blame, Davis should have come on ahead of either Barkley or AEG.  In fact he should have started.  Defence is their weak point, two inexperienced CBs,  Alexander Arnold struggling defensively, and Alison out of form.  Stupid not to go at them.

And if that Cash incident with Kane was a penalty then so was TAA going through Trez.  But then Villa don’t get those do they.

Do you really have to come out with that sort of homophobic nonsense?
That's the opening chapter of his autobiography...

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2021, 07:53:13 PM »
DS has said that he wanted to get Barkley on as he can change a game. What player has he been watching over the last month or so? Only thing he changed was to contribute to us losing by being so lazy. Really wouldn’t mind if he never played for us ever again.

I was surprised to see Barkley come on first as Smith didn't give him a minute against Fulham when we were chasing it. I think it's been clear for some time that Barkley won't be kept on next season. If ever there was a case for finishing up a loan early, this is it.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2021, 07:57:37 PM »
Didn't think we were that bad.

Luiz and Mings were occasionally too casual and Barkley is a waste of a shirt, but we were otherwise ok.

Thought Nakamba started well but faded in the second half.

Would have preferred Ramsey for Trez at half time or quickly thereafter and would never have brought Barkley on. Davis with Ollie moving wide would have been more productive.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2021, 07:58:16 PM »
DS has said that he wanted to get Barkley on as he can change a game. What player has he been watching over the last month or so? Only thing he changed was to contribute to us losing by being so lazy. Really wouldn’t mind if he never played for us ever again.

I was surprised to see Barkley come on first as Smith didn't give him a minute against Fulham when we were chasing it. I think it's been clear for some time that Barkley won't be kept on next season. If ever there was a case for finishing up a loan early, this is it.
it was an awfull decision, he got every sub wrong.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2021, 08:05:35 PM »
Just before they scored the winner , I thought we might sneak a winner . They gave the ball away cheaply  two or three times , but we couldn't capitalise on it. Frustrated , but I think we got lucky with the VAR chalked off goal.   

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2021, 08:07:50 PM »

especially after the "success" last week - not sticking with those who turned things around last week for me smacks of poor person management .....that is one of the weakest Liverpool defences for some while and we failed to really put them under significant pressure .......what did we have to lose by having a real go at them? 

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2021, 08:10:11 PM »
Does anyone know if there is something in the smallprint  with the Barkley loan ?

Along the lines of 'If he's fit, then we have to give him so many minutes' otherwise we are in breach and it will cost more money?
There is something strange when he keeps getting game time, makes things worse not better, behaves like a prat and then keeps getting game time.
Fortunately, I would think there is zero chance of him being here next season and Chelsea will have to lower their expectations massively if they're going to offload him anywhere.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2021, 08:10:29 PM »
Change the game? I wouldn’t trust Barkley to change the channel on my telly.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2021, 08:11:55 PM »

And last week he got every sub right

So on average, over the two games, he did ok

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2021, 08:14:39 PM »

And last week he got every sub right

So on average, over the two games, he did ok
Yes last week he did, which makes his selection and subs even more baffling.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2021, 08:17:31 PM »
Just before they scored the winner , I thought we might sneak a winner . They gave the ball away cheaply  two or three times , but we couldn't capitalise on it. Frustrated , but I think we got lucky with the VAR chalked off goal.

He was offside. If 'luck' had any effect on today, it was Trez's shot being 3 or 4 millimetres away from the sweet spot on the post that would have seen it go in rather than come back along the line. Even a few millimetres the other way would've seen it come back to him better so's he could've put away the rebound.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2021, 08:24:06 PM »
Change the game? I wouldn’t trust Barkley to change the channel on my telly.
Like it Des :-)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2021, 08:44:12 PM »
To be fair, Barkley has done it against Liverpool in the past. He has an undoubted ability but just hasn't been anywhere near good nor consistent enough for us. On another day it could have worked.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2021, 09:06:49 PM »
In my book Smith lost us that game today with his safety first idea of going to Liverpool not to lose Every one knows how poor their centre halfs were in the week against Real Instead of giving Ollie some help and putting pressure on them by playing Davis he stayed to his one and only way of playing and Liverpool had as easy a afternoon as they could only of dreamed of I could not believe it when he brought Barkley on instead of Davies Hopefully the rumours in the week that Purslow wants a bigger name and better manager to take the club on to bigger and better things are true because the run we have had since Christmas is just not good enough and i think Smith has shown  in that time he has probably took us as far as he can

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2021, 09:15:31 PM »
In my book Smith lost us that game today with his safety first idea of going to Liverpool not to lose Every one knows how poor their centre halfs were in the week against Real Instead of giving Ollie some help and putting pressure on them by playing Davis he stayed to his one and only way of playing and Liverpool had as easy a afternoon as they could only of dreamed of I could not believe it when he brought Barkley on instead of Davies Hopefully the rumours in the week that Purslow wants a bigger name and better manager to take the club on to bigger and better things are true because the run we have had since Christmas is just not good enough and i think Smith has shown  in that time he has probably took us as far as he can

The click bait in the week was Steven Gerard, a bigger name yes, a better manager?? Proven how?
Probably all nonsense.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal