collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109001 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #10005 on: September 15, 2021, 10:45:27 AM »
I've always felt Grealish was the only reason Edens got involved.

I cannot tell if you’re joking.  I’m as certain that i can be that a very rich bloke in America would not invest £100s of millions based on the possible success of a young brummie lad.

Nope, not joking. As far as I can tell, his sole foray into sports prior to us is his investment in the Bucks, but primarily in Giannis. I think he saw a similar opportunity to follow the same strategy here with him.

Not too worried, I think we have other up-and-coming superstars that'll keep him interested in a similar vein.

As stretches go, that  really is one hell of a stretch. You really believe they bought us and will stay interested based on one player? When they bought us Grealish was a bit part player with a very dodgy off field history. Not much else.

Don't disagree with your overall point but to suggest Grealish was a bit part player in May 2018 is not true at all. And like all of us on here, you would have been waxing lyrical about his talent.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #10006 on: September 15, 2021, 12:05:09 PM »
Not bit part but certainly semi detatched - Bruce didn't know what his best position was, shin splints back then were a concern, and he had yety to develop  the killer instinct in and around the final third - that seemed to come on his return from injury around March the following year when he bamboozled Derby and the rest is history.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10007 on: September 15, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »
Interesting article and you certainly see the echos and similarities.

I'd only add that there's a perception of fragility about everything and how we are constantly left with one shot. Every game is must win and every failure to do so a catastrophe.

The one that bothers me most (and is specific to clubs of a certain level) is that players are either shit and need to be replaced if we want to progress or are really good and will leave as soon as they get chance. There's rarely any room for nuance in between but that's where almost all of our players belong.

Even more specific to us we've clearly decided to go down the route of signing players on the way up and then benefitting from the improvement in them over the next few years but some people are very quick to judge them as not good enough. My current favourite of all the bitching I've seen was a claim that Louis Barry was a waste of money and we should let him leave because if he isn't the best player at Ipswich then how will he ever be good enough for us.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #10008 on: September 15, 2021, 01:12:13 PM »
He's going to lear n nothing sitting on their subs  bench though.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #10009 on: September 15, 2021, 01:16:51 PM »
He's going to lear n nothing sitting on their subs  bench though.

He's learning that ability isn't everything.
He's learning that reputation means fuck all.
He's learning that he has a lot of work to do still, even if he's scored against Liverpool on his debut.
He's hopefully learning that training hard and earning the trust of coaches will give him his chance and that it'll be down to him to take that.
He's hopefully learning that this is an experience he never wants to go through again and he'll come back determined to make it at the top level.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #10010 on: September 15, 2021, 02:06:25 PM »
Good points Paul.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #10011 on: September 15, 2021, 02:16:21 PM »
Good points? How do you know? Have you spoken to him? Has he told you so? Or are you just making a  supposition?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10012 on: September 15, 2021, 02:23:50 PM »
Good points? How do you know? Have you spoken to him? Has he told you so? Or are you just making a  supposition?

I’m going for supposition mate because it’s a fans forum and that’s what we do
No one knows anything really

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10013 on: September 15, 2021, 03:33:33 PM »
It's a shame he's not getting much game time at the moment but just being in different surroundings, being involved in first team match day squads and seeing how other coaches work is I suppose all part of the loan experience for young players, as well as playing.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10014 on: September 15, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »

I think it's unfair to say "no one knows anything", because I'm sure his assertion that Louie Barry will learn nothing on the bench at Ispwich comes from his own personal experience of being loaned from a Premier League club to a League One club and spending time on the bench there.

Because otherwise that, too, would be supposition, and he'd look a little hypocritical in criticising others for engaging in the same.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #10015 on: September 15, 2021, 03:51:59 PM »
It's a shame he's not getting much game time at the moment but just being in different surroundings, being involved in first team match day squads and seeing how other coaches work is I suppose all part of the loan experience for young players, as well as playing.

Exactly, there's loads of things he can be learning right now and given he's a few weeks into the loan that's fine. If he's still barely playing come December then we'll make the choice to end his loan in January and look for another one but it's 2-3 months before we should be making that decision right now and, back to the original point, him not having a great time on this loan so far doesn't really mean anything about his long term prospects for us.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10016 on: September 15, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »
I couldn't think of another place to put this. It's about Liverpool but just as relevant to all clubs:
https://dean-magazine.ghost.io/the-cold-dead-world-of-the-extremely-online-liverpool-fan/

That's a great article.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #10017 on: September 15, 2021, 04:20:49 PM »

I think it's unfair to say "no one knows anything", because I'm sure his assertion that Louie Barry will learn nothing on the bench at Ispwich comes from his own personal experience of being loaned from a Premier League club to a League One club and spending time on the bench there.

Because otherwise that, too, would be supposition, and he'd look a little hypocritical in criticising others for engaging in the same.

;D

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10018 on: September 16, 2021, 09:29:21 AM »

Yes, but he could be doing all those things AND playing at a different club. Loaning him to a team with loads of forwards with no agreement that he would be picked was a stupid decision, especially considering we actually pay someone to be dedicated Loans Scout (or some such job title).

Meanwhile, we are leaving out exciting attackers to try to shoehorn an extra centre half into the team so we don't upset Man U.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10019 on: September 16, 2021, 09:32:55 AM »

Yes, but he could be doing all those things AND playing at a different club. Loaning him to a team with loads of forwards with no agreement that he would be picked was a stupid decision, especially considering we actually pay someone to be dedicated Loans Scout (or some such job title).

Meanwhile, we are leaving out exciting attackers to try to shoehorn an extra centre half into the team so we don't upset Man U.

Valid point on Barry. That bottom paragraph is just absolute nonsense though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal