collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126030 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #9225 on: August 29, 2021, 11:09:05 PM »
We had an opportunity to really close the gap this summer that's why, I do think Lange and the scouting team should have found a couple of cheaper options though for us to work with. McKensie has a good reputation for finding a holding midfielder!

richtheholtender

« Reply #9226 on: August 29, 2021, 11:37:01 PM »
The signing of Ings goes completely against the grain of our usual signings under this ownership. The plan always appeared to be sign them in the 20-26 bracket with the view to them being a success and either moving on for a healthy profit or staying and helping us grow. Ings isn't this, he is a ready to go here and now signing, very doubtful there will be a profit made. So this signals a "let's go for it window" with such a change in tact but it sort of feels we've gone so far then backed out if we don't buy a central/holding midfielder. I likened it to a boxer having his opponent on the ropes (Arsenal, spurs, Leeds and everton) we can't let them recover and we must deliver the knock out blow. If we have serious aspiration to get in Europe, we're going to have to take the gamble at some point anyway because all these teams spend money as well. I say we take that gamble this summer and try and make it count.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #9227 on: August 29, 2021, 11:53:26 PM »
If you're a billionaire and you have another billionaire as backup, you buy your way into where you want to be.  As much as I really do like Dean Smith and want him to be the one that breaks us (back) into the big time, I'm starting to think that the billionaires are waiting to see if they can trust Dean Smith. 

That, or we are already where we want to be. 

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #9228 on: August 30, 2021, 04:50:49 AM »
Something doesn't add up about this summer. We were told to be excited about a couple of big signings or words to that effect, so assuming that includes Buendia who was the other? Bailey and Ings were replacements for whatshisname, they weren't plan A. We bid for Ward-Prowse and Smith-Rowe but seemingly haven't pursued other targets in their positions. Did we just give up when Ward-Prowse didn't come off? Pretty weak if so, especially considering the bid was derisory.

Ings and Bailey were two very very exciting signings. As is Buendia. It was always going to be overshadowed by losing Grealish. He’s gone and in one way at least we can move on without the circus. It’s a right bastard, he’s been one good thing for so long amongst some right shit times. He’s been a joy to watch and we always felt it was special because of who and where he came from. Because of this our summer was always going to look bleak. However we’ve made some really fabulous signings and fro what I’ve see so far, once we are up to full strength we’re going to have a very good season.
Besides, apparently we were planning, at least semi-likely, on him staying. So why panic buy players at a couple of weeks notice? Better to wait until next summer, when our money will be worth the same but we won't be paying the Grealish-based inflation on transfer fees (and with that, increased wages)

Why would it be panic buying? We are a professionally run Premier League team so obviously a series of different transfer scenarios will have been considered and planned for.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #9229 on: August 30, 2021, 05:07:16 AM »
This Curtis Jones link seems an odd one. Do we really need a 20yr midfielder at this stage. Is it a strategy to go for promising youth players rather than someone with some games behind them? Confusing if true.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9230 on: August 30, 2021, 05:32:50 AM »
I don't think it's true. I think his agent has seen ESR and JWP use villa this summer and is getting a new deal for him.

I also think he's a very very good young player, and with a lot more that £15m. Could play 8 or 10 and develop into a goal scoring mid.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #9231 on: August 30, 2021, 05:37:58 AM »
Yeah i wasn't making any comment on his ability or his price, just seemed an odd one unless we're hoovering up youth as the opportunity presents itself.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #9232 on: August 30, 2021, 09:07:36 AM »
Im sorry to be negative but i simply do not see us challenging for Europe if we do not sign a big defensive midfielder.

Too many times already ive seen this happen against us. Nakamba isnt someone you can rely on week in and wek out. He is a good option from the bench to see a game out thats all. Barring luiz i dont see what else we have. I mean someone like bissouma will tear us apart

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #9233 on: August 30, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »
If 4 points against 3 sides that will finish in the bottom half hasn't shown them that we are no better than mid to lower mid table then nothing will. I think we've settled for what we've got and will muddle through the season looking disjointed and then reevaluate next summer, when some of our better players start getting itchy feet. And it all begins again.

Poor transfer window.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #9234 on: August 30, 2021, 09:34:55 AM »
Still convinced something will happen before 11pm tomorrow.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #9235 on: August 30, 2021, 09:41:38 AM »

Ha Ha  I always think we do

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #9236 on: August 30, 2021, 09:45:53 AM »
Got a news alert to say Wesley had Brugged off, and noticed that Will Hughes, a player I think some linked us with, has gone to Palace. Can't say I'm too upset about not signing him.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #9237 on: August 30, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »

Ha Ha  I always think we do

The power of power of positive thinking ;) Plus I don't think Smith is that stupid...…...

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #9238 on: August 30, 2021, 10:00:21 AM »
We had an opportunity to really close the gap this summer that's why, I do think Lange and the scouting team should have found a couple of cheaper options though for us to work with. McKensie has a good reputation for finding a holding midfielder!

Spurs and Arsenal were supposedly skint and have both strengthened their squads.

Both of these 2 were I think within reach if we'd had a really good window.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9239 on: August 30, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »

Spurs and Arsenal were supposedly skint and have both strengthened their squads.

Both of these 2 were I think within reach if we'd had a really good window.

We're already four points clear of one of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal