collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126066 times)

Offline charlatan

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #8970 on: August 27, 2021, 05:18:38 PM »
We had an agreement (a confidential one) that said if we had an offer of 7 figures then he could go.
We did well to come away with an extra £99m then.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8971 on: August 27, 2021, 05:21:14 PM »
We had an agreement (a confidential one) that said if we had an offer of 7 figures then he could go.

Quite. If anyone played a blinder it was us. Stick in a 7 figure release clause and pocket £100 million.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8972 on: August 27, 2021, 05:23:52 PM »

ah bollocks. 9. 9. 9.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8973 on: August 27, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »

ah bollocks. 9. 9. 9.

Offline steamer

« Reply #8974 on: August 27, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »
As much as I dislike them, spuds and levy have played a blinder in the whole kane situation showing they are not a feeder club unlike ourselves. Our naivity never fails to disappoint. If there was a clause regarding grealish which allowed him to talk to sh-tty, that still didn't mean we had to sell and it certainly didn't mean we had to sell so far in advance of the transfer window closing. I thought the days of us being a soft touch to players and other clubs was behind us, but seemingly not. Instead despite a disrupted pre-season we roll over too easily. What's to say that won't happen again re Watkins, Martinez or Konsa (clause or no-clause). Our owners have shown everybody has their price and getting replacements isn't always guaranteed. What's purslow on about getting in 3 players to replace dipstick, whilst leaving some glaring gaps unresourced? That's b-llocks especially when one of those players won't be ready till mid-sept at the earliest. Ings is the best of our purchases for where we want to be. Buendia and Bailey probably have bags of potential, but obviously need to deliver on a consistent basis. As regards Tuanzebee and Young these are the signings of a championship side looking for promotion not a side looking to finish in the top 10. For me the owners have lost a little of their shine, as for purslow and lange although Ings brings something proven to the Villa I'm still waiting for that statement signing that will make us fans and other clubs sit up and note that we mean business (especially at a time when ffp means very little I believe) and we're not just a selling club.

We had an agreement (a confidential one) that said if we had an offer of 7 figures then he could go. He wanted to go. So we did the right and decent thing and trousered £100,000,000 to do it. And we got a rat, with absence issues, taste and class issues with a dodgy injury record off our books and replaced him with a top striker, a player who topped the charts for assists, tackles and challenges and a very promising young attacking player in his stead, with change.

Spurs without Kane would be fucked. The value of their existing players means they'd find it harder to replace Kane and improve, than we did. I also think our signing of Ings assisted with that because otherwise Spurs would have been after him to replace Ings.

In terms of the midfield, ours did very well last season and towards the tail end of the season before, utilising Luiz, Nakamba and McGinn. We now have Sanson to add into the mix along with Ramsay and Chukwuemeka and arguably Buendia. We're better off.

Depending on which system we settle on, and there's plenty of speculation on that but nothing concrete, then there may, or may not, be a need for a specific type of player. The other issue is that there are very few of them around. Kante, Rice and Phillips will not be leaving their clubs for ours; yet. We're rumoured to have sniffed around others but they gone to clubs playing Champions League football. Unless we uncover a youthful talent, then it ain't happening. Gone are the days I think, where we spunk cash for the sake of it on someone who isn't good enough.

Our business this summer has been good.

Tuanzebe on loan makes sense whilst our younger players come through.
Young offers a lot, including the right mentality and experience.
Buendia
Bailey,
Ings.

I'd like some better players in too, but let's face it, we'd need to move some on as well which is why it goes to the wire and deals don't get done. No club can sign anyone they want, not even Man City who have missed out on Messi, Kane and Ronaldo.
Pretty much as I see it Drummond, but would still like a midfield addition

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #8975 on: August 27, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »
Our midfield is gonna bite Dean in the ass if we don’t bring one more in.
If we lose McGinn or even Luiz for a while then the next in line is beyond poor. Sanson is never fit let alone how they are so confident he can even do it in the prem. Then we have Nakamba (terrible) and kids.
The quality depth is awful.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #8976 on: August 27, 2021, 06:29:56 PM »
In terms of the midfield, ours did very well last season and towards the tail end of the season before, utilising Luiz, Nakamba and McGinn. We now have Sanson to add into the mix along with Ramsay and Chukwuemeka and arguably Buendia. We're better off.

Depending on which system we settle on, and there's plenty of speculation on that but nothing concrete, then there may, or may not, be a need for a specific type of player. The other issue is that there are very few of them around. Kante, Rice and Phillips will not be leaving their clubs for ours; yet. We're rumoured to have sniffed around others but they gone to clubs playing Champions League football. Unless we uncover a youthful talent, then it ain't happening.

I'd like some better players in too, but let's face it, we'd need to move some on as well which is why it goes to the wire and deals don't get done.

Sorry to crop your post, Drummond but just a couple of points. Our midfield were not good enough last season; first half yes, second half poor. We all pretty much agreed this summer we needed to bring in a defensive midfielder rather than playing McGinn and Dougie out of position and have at least some competition for Marvelous. On that score nothing has changed.

Unfortunately all the great kids we have not one looks likely they can step up into the DM role. It's a case of we go again..

The other objective this summer was to add some creativity and we've done it exceptionally well, plus we have Ramsey and Chuk that can fill in the Barkley roll.

The 'system we settle on' is where I'm concerned as it looks like we will once again be putting square pegs in round holes. Just because we can't bring in a Kante, Phillips or Rice type, doesn't mean there aren't other options. Right now I'd rather take 31 year old Axel Witsel for a season than not have anybody to challenge Marvelous.

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #8977 on: August 27, 2021, 06:31:39 PM »

Depending on which system we settle on, and there's plenty of speculation on that but nothing concrete, then there may, or may not, be a need for a specific type of player. The other issue is that there are very few of them around. Kante, Rice and Phillips will not be leaving their clubs for ours; yet. We're rumoured to have sniffed around others but they gone to clubs playing Champions League football. Unless we uncover a youthful talent, then it ain't happening.

I'd like some better players in too, but let's face it, we'd need to move some on as well which is why it goes to the wire and deals don't get done.

Sorry to crop your post, Drummond but just a couple of points. Our midfield were not good enough last season; first half yes, second half poor. We all pretty much agreed this summer we needed to bring in a defensive midfielder rather than playing McGinn and Dougie out of position and have at least some competition for Marvelous. On that score nothing has changed.

Unfortunately all the great kids we have not one looks likely they can step up into the DM role. It's a case of we go again..

The other objective this summer was to add some creativity and we've done it exceptionally well, plus we have Ramsey and Chuk that can fill in the Barkley roll.

The 'system we settle on' is where I'm concerned as it looks like we will once again be putting square pegs in round holes. Just because we can't bring in a Kante, Phillips or Rice type, doesn't mean there aren't other options. Right now I'd rather take 31 year old Axel Witsel for a season than not have anybody to challenge Marvelous.

100% this

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8978 on: August 27, 2021, 06:31:54 PM »
As much as I dislike them, spuds and levy have played a blinder in the whole kane situation showing they are not a feeder club unlike ourselves. Our naivity never fails to disappoint. If there was a clause regarding grealish which allowed him to talk to sh-tty, that still didn't mean we had to sell

It did! It's exactly what it means. There was a clause in his contract that states if someone meets a certain price, in his case £100m, we are obliged to inform him of it and allow him to talk to them.

It's like being stuck on a merry-go-round on here sometimes.
we really did not have any choice, we did have to sell, it was in his contract.
the club did well to tie him to a contract last year even if that meant they had to agree to the Break Clause.
there is only 1 person to blame for the idiot leaving. its the the idiot.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #8979 on: August 27, 2021, 06:32:06 PM »

Dunno about "awful". Burnley keep muddling along with a central two of Westwood and Jack Cork, with Dale Stephens and Josh Brownhill in reserve and nobody else. I'd describe that as awful.

Our strength in depth in central midfield is "not as good as it is in other areas".

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #8980 on: August 27, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »

Dunno about "awful". Burnley keep muddling along with a central two of Westwood and Jack Cork, with Dale Stephens and Josh Brownhill in reserve and nobody else. I'd describe that as awful.

Our strength in depth in central midfield is "not as good as it is in other areas".

This is point. Allegedly our ambitions are greater than the likes of Burnley. We easily have the weakest midfielders in top 12 of the league

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #8981 on: August 27, 2021, 06:56:28 PM »

This is point. Allegedly our ambitions are greater than the likes of Burnley. We easily have the weakest midfielders in top 12 of the league

Still disagree. Assuming you're working on last years table, our midfield isn't "easily" weaker than Shelvey, Willock, Hayden and Hendrick.

Kalvin Phillips is obviously excellent, but I don't think I'd swap ours for him, Dallas and Klich either.

It's a mid-table midfield. That's not "awful".

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #8982 on: August 27, 2021, 06:59:20 PM »

Still disagree. Assuming you're working on last years table, our midfield isn't "easily" weaker than Shelvey, Willock, Hayden and Hendrick.

Kalvin Phillips is obviously excellent, but I don't think I'd swap ours for him, Dallas and Klich either.

It's a mid-table midfield. That's not "awful".

Ok, maybe not ‘awful’ but certainly not good enough for a European push

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #8983 on: August 27, 2021, 07:00:23 PM »
I’d put it as simply a weak link that will most likely mean that we won’t progress this season, may even go backwards. So pretty serious.
Axel Witsel is a good player if there’s any truth in that although he has had an injury. Would I take him over signing no one? Obviously

Online LukeJames

« Reply #8984 on: August 27, 2021, 07:02:01 PM »
Axel Witsel is a good player if there’s any truth in that although he has had an injury.

He'll fit right in then.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal