collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126067 times)

Online jwarry

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #7980 on: August 17, 2021, 06:52:03 AM »
Us villa fans have a real issue, we don’t seem to understand the fact we can’t play all the players together. We’ve forgotten what it’s like to have a proper squad lol

Imo we can’t play Ings and Watkins together, it just won’t work long term without a stronger midfield. Same for Buendia, Bailey, Traore etc.

Problem is you take Cack, Ollie and Doug out and you get left with the team that played Saturday

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #7981 on: August 17, 2021, 07:03:43 AM »
Us villa fans have a real issue, we don’t seem to understand the fact we can’t play all the players together. We’ve forgotten what it’s like to have a proper squad lol

Imo we can’t play Ings and Watkins together, it just won’t work long term without a stronger midfield. Same for Buendia, Bailey, Traore etc.

I think plenty of the fans get it - I certainly do.. I just worry that Smith and Ings don’t.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7982 on: August 17, 2021, 07:21:22 AM »
Nailed on Ings and Watkins will play in the same team imo. So no 2 up front, no 3 man midfield, but probably Watkins stuck in the 3 of a 4-2-3-1.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #7983 on: August 17, 2021, 07:24:49 AM »
With the squad we currently have you have to play a midfield three from doug, sjm, sanson, marv and ramsey. Otherwise teams will play through us.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #7984 on: August 17, 2021, 07:31:28 AM »
Nailed on Ings and Watkins will play in the same team imo. So no 2 up front, no 3 man midfield, but probably Watkins stuck in the 3 of a 4-2-3-1.

I think Ings is going to play ten with a 2 man midfield. I don't think it will work, but it's what I think we will try and do.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #7985 on: August 17, 2021, 07:32:07 AM »
This is the problem. You cannot throw money at people if you cannot offer champions league. And you will not reach champions league unless you have the kind of player you need to throw money at. Maybe we ha very to just be patient and wait for the talent to develop from within.

I disagree. I think you can do it with good recruitment. We can afford to buy virtually any player in the world. We didn’t need to be in the Champions League to get Martinez.
we could afford to buy harry kane but unless he sees us as a step up, no amount of money will get him. Same with any big name player. They wont come until we are in the champions league or very close to it. Martinez wasnt a big name player, but is now. Bailey isnt a big name player yet but could be soon and will want to move to champions league club if we are not progressing fast enough.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #7986 on: August 17, 2021, 07:37:23 AM »
This is the problem. You cannot throw money at people if you cannot offer champions league. And you will not reach champions league unless you have the kind of player you need to throw money at. Maybe we ha very to just be patient and wait for the talent to develop from within.

I disagree. I think you can do it with good recruitment. We can afford to buy virtually any player in the world. We didn’t need to be in the Champions League to get Martinez.
we could afford to buy harry kane but unless he sees us as a step up, no amount of money will get him. Same with any big name player. They wont come until we are in the champions league or very close to it. Martinez wasnt a big name player, but is now. Bailey isnt a big name player yet but could be soon and will want to move to champions league club if we are not progressing fast enough.

Indeed. But it is possible to buy players who are good enough to qualify and play in the Champions League without being in it. You don’t seem to think so, despite the examples of Martinez, Leicester City and every other club who qualifies for it for the first time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:41:47 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #7987 on: August 17, 2021, 07:37:52 AM »
Then pay them 80 mil. These owners are meant to mean business so let's make a proper statement signing

I wonder if the statement style signing not coming is more Smith than the owners to be honest. Man City bought Robinho in that completely changed the view of them, then lured Tevez there. Chelsea - Gullit changed the face of the era and enticed others. We need that type that can attract others of that ilk until to help push us on.
Doesn't Bailey fit in to that category for us?

I'd bear in mind that those 2 were also signed pre-FFP. I don't know if that'd have an effect then, but certainly now we can't realistically outbid (big) Champions League sides on wages.

I'd assumed Bailey was brought for the left wing. Tbh I don't care what side*he* thinks is his best, Joe reckoned he was best as an 8 but I'm not sure that's a widely held view.

Also don't understand why folk are trying to shoehorn Ollie and Ings in to the same 11. There's been a broad consensus that we lack anyone on the bench who can change a game. The only way you can have that is by not starting the players who you want on the bench. Think we should just enjoy a situation where our subs bench will scare the living daylights out of the likes of Norwich or Brentford ... can bring on Traore, Ings, Dougie*, ... if things aren't going well.

* Maybe. Again, I think central midfield now looks paper thin, admittedly partially because Sanson's injured and I think he'd be playing a bigger part if he wasn't. So can fully imagine we'll bring someone else in so that we've a couple of good options on the bench.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #7988 on: August 17, 2021, 07:43:32 AM »
I would be amazed on Saturday if both Ings and Watkins (if fit) do not start the game.

could see Young playing in midfield alongside Luiz and McGinn

And then it would be a choice of Buendia or Bailey on the wing

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #7989 on: August 17, 2021, 07:45:18 AM »
Indeed. But it is possible to buy players who are good enough to qualify and play in the Champions League without being in it. You don’t seem to think so, despite tge examples of Martinez and Leicester City.                                                                        I agree it is possible to recruit some champions league quality players but they wont satisfy the clamour for a statement signing because they wont have 'done it yet' in the champions league or world cup final etc

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #7990 on: August 17, 2021, 07:52:58 AM »

I think Ings is going to play ten with a 2 man midfield. I don't think it will work, but it's what I think we will try and do.

yeah. Its going to be some variation on that theme. I don't think it will work either to be frank.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #7991 on: August 17, 2021, 07:56:20 AM »
Indeed. But it is possible to buy players who are good enough to qualify and play in the Champions League without being in it. You don’t seem to think so, despite tge examples of Martinez and Leicester City.                                                                        I agree it is possible to recruit some champions league quality players but they wont satisfy the clamour for a statement signing because they wont have 'done it yet' in the champions league or world cup final etc

I think the other side is the manager. The pull of, and ability. Rodgers has taken Leicester on to another level of consistency, built the squad and put them into a really good place, and been imaginative in the market.

Online nigel

« Reply #7992 on: August 17, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »
I would be amazed on Saturday if both Ings and Watkins (if fit) do not start the game.

could see Young playing in midfield alongside Luiz and McGinn

And then it would be a choice of Buendia or Bailey on the wing

I’ve a feeling Ollie will start on the bench, due to him coming off an injury, and replace Ings at some point.
You can then have Buendia and Bailey on either wing, with Traore coming on.
You can then have two 8’s and a holder.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #7993 on: August 17, 2021, 08:13:23 AM »
Really can't see us spending another 80-100m on top of what we have. I'd be delighted to be wrong but whatever the wealth of the owners I don't think they're going to go down that route. Possibly 20-30m max i'd guess if they actually do.

You could be right. But in that case it's a net spend of very modest proportions and it then seems rather fanciful to have Europe as the stated goal.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #7994 on: August 17, 2021, 08:29:09 AM »
Really can't see us spending another 80-100m on top of what we have. I'd be delighted to be wrong but whatever the wealth of the owners I don't think they're going to go down that route. Possibly 20-30m max i'd guess if they actually do.

You could be right. But in that case it's a net spend of very modest proportions and it then seems rather fanciful to have Europe as the stated goal.

I guess, but we have spent much more than a lot of clubs in the last 3 summers. I have no idea what's going on with FFP, whether its really dead or relaxed, whether the wage bill has increased this summer, but with the premium on prices everyone is attracting post-Grealish maybe they think waiting till January or next summer is the better option. I'm not sure it is with the current holes in the squad, but maybe Smith is happy he can get a tune out the current squad?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal