collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Exeter 77
[Today at 07:58:04 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by VillaTim

FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:57:15 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 07:52:17 PM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by usav
[Today at 07:46:50 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by martin o`who??
[Today at 07:43:48 PM]

MOTD by martin o`who??
[Today at 07:32:05 PM]

Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:23:03 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Exeter 77

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by VillaTim

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:57:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:53:08 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[Today at 07:52:17 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 07:48:15 PM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by usav
[Today at 07:46:50 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Tayls_7
[Today at 07:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126210 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #3735 on: June 28, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »
Whilst I like that we're after Smith-Rowe, despite Arsenal saying 'not-for-sale', I do wonder how we'd feel if Man City behaved the same way towards us.
But we couldn't be more straightforward - we make a bid and they can accept it or not.  We don't spend months tapping up players, getting the press to unsettle them and then trying low ball offers.  I'd have a lot more respect for City if they just made an offer and if we reject it take it with good grace or make a new one.  Piss or get off the pot.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3736 on: June 28, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »
The ESR stuff rumbles on.
If we have made another bid, we are obviously getting encouragement from someone?

Tierney signed his new contract at Arse pretty quickly, I wonder why ESR appears reluctant?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #3737 on: June 28, 2021, 11:12:36 AM »
On Smith Rowe, keep bidding and if they say no and he signs a new contract then so be it.

On Tammy, not convinced but let’s see what happens.

On Grealish, let’s see the colour of Citehs money before we all lose our shit. NSWE will reject all bids I’d imagine. If Grealish wants out for CL football, can understand that, but that comes at a price which is going to smash the British transfer record out of sight. I’m not sure if they can afford Kane and Grealish in the same window either.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3738 on: June 28, 2021, 11:23:31 AM »
Might have already said this but this is first time in 25 years Arsenal have no european income. Pretty sure they get about 25-30m for getting to europa SF so could make that up by selling a Smith Rowe.

Really think this could be another Martinez situaiton. Arteta ideally wants to keep him but he's nudged to the sale by the board.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3739 on: June 28, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »
At the right price it's a no-brainer, Tammy would be a big improvement on Davies & Wes. It would also address the risk of losing Watkins to injury or form. Having £30m players on the bench is a measure of how far we've come.

Completely agree.

True but "right price" and "£30m" are doing a lot of work there when every report about Tammy for months has said £40m. The latter isn't the right price, the former isn't far off. If we were being linked with him for £2025m I'd be fine with it but for £40m I want a player where we aren't having to move one of our best players from last season out of position to fit a new signing in.
I think he might be a tad overpriced at that.

oops

Online ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3740 on: June 28, 2021, 11:31:44 AM »
I think we will have to pay 35-40 with add ons for Smith-Rowe, which begs the question whether he has shown enough already to warrant that kind of fee. Ziyech cost Chelsea around £30 million for example, so are there options in Europe that could offer similar ability?

Of the players linked, Sarr in midfield is the one I would be most excited about, he looks like he has huge potential. Ward Prowse would be an excellent signing, like Hourihane with more in game involvement. Alvarez looks a really decent prospect and more of a backup for Ollie than Tammy does. I loved Tammy first time round, but really not sure he has the game to offer what Watkins does, which is full throttle pest mode to the opposition from the first minute. His pressing and attitude get us on the front foot. We need backup, but not convinced for the money that Tammy is the right option.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #3741 on: June 28, 2021, 11:32:25 AM »
I'd actually say 30m for Tammy would be a bargain if we were seriously interested and could drive it down 10m with a fair few add ons. Plus we gave them 10m for facking Barkley 12 months ago so surely could get a discount.

I mean a decade ago we pretty much paid 20m for Bent and look at how transfer fees have blown out of control since then in top half of the league.

In a world where Pep clicks his fingers and signs a full back for 40m + then 30m for an England international who's played and scored in champions league and was one one of top scorers in league in 19/20 isn't that much and he's still early 20a.

Wes at 22m, that's much harder to justifiy as a fee given his lack of experience at top level although seems we made sure we got him for over 20m as helped with his work permit application.

Probably in next 5 years we will sign a player for over 40m anyway given we're now regularly signing players in 20-30m bracket.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3742 on: June 28, 2021, 11:35:49 AM »
Might have already said this but this is first time in 25 years Arsenal have no european income. Pretty sure they get about 25-30m for getting to europa SF so could make that up by selling a Smith Rowe.

Really think this could be another Martinez situaiton. Arteta ideally wants to keep him but he's nudged to the sale by the board.

There was bit on this by world famous spoofer/ITK Fabrizio Romano. He reckoned they had about 60m lined up in sales without selling Smith Rowe

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #3743 on: June 28, 2021, 11:37:22 AM »

There was bit on this by world famous spoofer/ITK Fabrizio Romano. He reckoned they had about 60m lined up in sales without selling Smith Rowe

Willock's in the same category, should get a proper chance in their team but they could sell him for 25-30m after his Newcastle loan.

I wouldn't be against us going for him myself. Goalscoring box to box midfielder, McGinn used to do that stuff.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3744 on: June 28, 2021, 11:38:07 AM »
The ESR stuff rumbles on.
If we have made another bid, we are obviously getting encouragement from someone?

Tierney signed his new contract at Arse pretty quickly, I wonder why ESR appears reluctant?

Apparently he is still on academy-grad wages of only (sic) £20k per week. Based on Buendia, we'd probably be offering him £80k or so.

I'm guessing he's saying "pay me what Villa would pay me". And without our interest he'd probably have already signed a £40kpw deal with them.

Online ozzjim

« Reply #3745 on: June 28, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »

Which they are blowing on Ben White. I think they need the money - get anywhere near £40 million they will accept the bid I am sure. It is just a question of whether he is worth that much.

Online ozzjim

« Reply #3746 on: June 28, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »

Willock's in the same category, should get a proper chance in their team but they could sell him for 25-30m after his Newcastle loan.

I wouldn't be against us going for him myself. Goalscoring box to box midfielder, McGinn used to do that stuff.

Was it a flash in the pan or genuine form though. Carries that kind of form on from the centre of midfield, he will be worth fortunes. Arsenal would be bonkers not to keep him and play him to find out next season, his value won't drop that much if he doesn't.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3747 on: June 28, 2021, 11:44:09 AM »

Which they are blowing on Ben White. I think they need the money - get anywhere near £40 million they will accept the bid I am sure. It is just a question of whether he is worth that much.

You'd have to say they probably do need the money unless they have decided to change the strategy of the last 20 years. I wouldn't mind Willock or Smith Rowe but you have to say if you're skint why sell promising home grown players that cost you nothing?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3748 on: June 28, 2021, 11:51:16 AM »

You'd have to say they probably do need the money unless they have decided to change the strategy of the last 20 years. I wouldn't mind Willock or Smith Rowe but you have to say if you're skint why sell promising home grown players that cost you nothing?

Who do they sell instead? I can't see many people bidding big for Willian's £10m annual salary. Lacazette is out of contract next summer. Pepe, Partey and Aubameyang are costing them nearly £35m a year in wages.

To get cash, they have the choice of selling a couple of their impressive youth players or trying to persuade some hugely expensive assets to take a lower salary elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:53:35 AM by Dave »

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3749 on: June 28, 2021, 11:57:07 AM »
They're a high-end version of us before we went down. A series of desperate transfer decisions made in a bid to retain/regain their previous status. It hasn't worked and now the spiral down (for them) to mid-table begins.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal