collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126049 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #2490 on: June 07, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »
For me Ward-Prowse is more of a number 8 than a 6. Him and McGinn will the legs off opposition midfield and have a high press. I think those 2 with an Ndidi type player behind them with Nakamba as back-up would be really good.

Interesting idea, OCD.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2491 on: June 07, 2021, 12:58:23 PM »
I’d rather use my own eyes when judging a player. JWD looked great at intentional level last night, has looked good whenever I’ve watched him on TV, certainly against us, and bangs in brilliant goals from set pieces. We need players to elevate us to the next level and he can certainly help get us there. And playing in a side with Buendia and Grealish (I just like saying that) and Ollie up front, Traore and SJM will make him even better.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2492 on: June 07, 2021, 01:15:31 PM »
It would be a great transfer window if we can get JWP signed up.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2493 on: June 07, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »
I like the look of Ward Prouse, but do wonder if Sansom is going to end up being another Berson (rarely plays then leaves quickly). If we were to brong himm in I would have thought one of Luiz/Nakamba/Sanson would go else we are looking overloaded.

Think we need cover at left back, but fine at centre back unless Engels goes.

Seen us linked again with Rashica,  can see that happening as will be a lower fee than last season. That would cover for losing Trez, and Buendia replaces Barkely.

I'm not sure how you can think we'd be overloaded in central midfield.

In a 25 man squad you'd normally want 2 players for every position, an extra keeper an extra striker and 1 wild card who can hopefully cover a few positions.

Given we play 3 in midfield we really should have 6 players there and right now we have 4 (McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba and Sanson). With Ramsey pretty established and Chuk coming through I'm fine with them taking the 6th spot but that still means we need another in there.

Buendia is definitely coming in to play wide right not centrally.

For the record, neither Ramsey or Chuck count towards our squad limit of 25 players.  U21 players can be used in unlimited numbers.  I'm not saying they shouldn't be counted as first-team options, just that buying another central midfielder doesn't 'take' a squad place from them.

By my count if we assume Kalinic and Hourihane are going, that Trez will get a place despite his injury and that Buendia is completed we currently have 21 players that need to be registered.

2 of the spare spots should be a big strong defensive midfielder (but not a thug before anyone starts) and a left back, they're the spots where we are clearly short.

That leaves 2 spots, I'm happy with JWP taking one of those and the other should be a forward with real pace who can give us an alternative to Watkins but also offer something out wide.

2 midfielders in would mean more competition for Ramsey and Chuk but with 9 subs I think there's still plenty of opportunities to get them games between now and Christmas and then re-evaluate things or let them out on loan for half a season.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2494 on: June 07, 2021, 01:40:10 PM »

Think he would be a good signing, but not sure he would be the type of player we really need in midfield.  Even with him, I still think we would still need a physical defensive midfielder as I just think Luiz is not that type of player.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2495 on: June 07, 2021, 01:48:51 PM »

Think he would be a good signing, but not sure he would be the type of player we really need in midfield.  Even with him, I still think we would still need a physical defensive midfielder as I just think Luiz is not that type of player.

For me it's horses for courses, against a team like Liverpool or Southampton (as examples) I'm fine with someone like JWP or Luiz being the defensive option and focusing on reading play and transitioning from defence into attack quickly. However agianst teams like West Ham and Burnley who are much more direct through midfield and rely on their physicality I'd like someone like Berge in there is give a bit back and make us harder to play through.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2496 on: June 07, 2021, 01:57:52 PM »
Not quite in the same bracket as Carew, who only 28 when he joined us. But Mandzukic is a 'name' throughout Europe. Realistically he's now at an age where he couldn't be demanding to start every game and might help bring the younger players on.

For a player with those sort of miles on the clock it depends if they're simply after one last pay day. Or whether -like Terry - they're fired up by the challenge or have designs on a future coaching role.

At the opposite end of the spectrum a player like Eddie Nketiah could be one to work and grow with. Give Arsenal fans another chance to hate us. At £20 million it's nearly good value in a mad market.
Mandzukic would be fantastic

Saw him come on for AC Milan and he could hardly move so a little bit too old for that type of striker I think.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2497 on: June 07, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »
Another reason I want JWP is that our CB’s aren’t enough of a threat in the opponents penalty area. Remember how deadly Ollie Mellberg and especially Laursen was with Barry or Young zipping in crosses. We have two very good CB’s who will benefit from a skilled set piece taker. Jack winning them, JWP either scoring directly or setting others up.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2498 on: June 07, 2021, 02:22:38 PM »
Buendia, Traore, Grealish, Watkins and James Workers Party smashing in twenty free kicks a season.

Announce Champions.

Offline Hairbandinho

« Reply #2499 on: June 07, 2021, 02:33:57 PM »
Buendia, Traore, Grealish, Watkins and James Workers Party smashing in twenty free kicks a season.

Announce Champions.

Best autocorrect ever

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2500 on: June 07, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »
He's a proper Southamptoner in general though, right down to this thing they have about record consecutive starts for them and going for that record. I'd understand if he wanted to stay and only left for guaranteed Champions League etc, but if we did get him it would speak volumes about the ownership and their much-vaunted project.

From a Saints forum:
He’s no more than a fairly decent player with exceptional free-kicks which get the headlines rather than his numerous limitations.

He’s decent player for the level we are at - we benefit greatly from his set-pieces and pressing but he’s also a large part of why we are so toothless, especially when we’re chasing a goal because he doesn’t move the ball fast enough and doesn’t get into positions to pick up the ball from defence and connect us to attack quickly.

It won’t happen anyway cause he’s not worth £40m but he really wouldn’t suit Villa anyway - they need a midfielder who can get the ball to Grealish quickly and that really is JWP’s biggest weakness. Don’t think he’d be that popular there after a year.

Best leave it then......although Brentford fans were similarly damning about Ezri Konsa!!

Saints fans were about Targett too for that matter. They looked right in the first season, but he was phenomenal this season. For once I have confidence we can improve any players coming in.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2501 on: June 07, 2021, 02:49:14 PM »
He's a proper Southamptoner in general though, right down to this thing they have about record consecutive starts for them and going for that record. I'd understand if he wanted to stay and only left for guaranteed Champions League etc, but if we did get him it would speak volumes about the ownership and their much-vaunted project.

From a Saints forum:
He’s no more than a fairly decent player with exceptional free-kicks which get the headlines rather than his numerous limitations.

He’s decent player for the level we are at - we benefit greatly from his set-pieces and pressing but he’s also a large part of why we are so toothless, especially when we’re chasing a goal because he doesn’t move the ball fast enough and doesn’t get into positions to pick up the ball from defence and connect us to attack quickly.

It won’t happen anyway cause he’s not worth £40m but he really wouldn’t suit Villa anyway - they need a midfielder who can get the ball to Grealish quickly and that really is JWP’s biggest weakness. Don’t think he’d be that popular there after a year.

Best leave it then......although Brentford fans were similarly damning about Ezri Konsa!!

Saints fans were about Targett too for that matter. They looked right in the first season, but he was phenomenal this season. For once I have confidence we can improve any players coming in.

Dean Smith improves players. We really should  have sussed this out by now.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2502 on: June 07, 2021, 03:41:04 PM »
If we sign Ward-Prowse just having signed Buendia it does seem to me the we have shook hands with someone on Jack.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2503 on: June 07, 2021, 03:42:44 PM »
Both Buendia and Ward Prowse will have had other options. They aren't signing for a Villa team that sells its best player. Grealish is a Villa player until at least 2023, IMO.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #2504 on: June 07, 2021, 03:47:49 PM »
If we sign Ward-Prowse just having signed Buendia it does seem to me the we have shook hands with someone on Jack.

Seems to me more like we shook hands with Jack on a promise that we will build a team around him and win stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal