collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126100 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #1455 on: May 21, 2021, 09:14:06 AM »
I wonder if Emre Can fancies another crack at the Prem?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1456 on: May 21, 2021, 09:28:49 AM »
I think two managers put him on the bench because the club had lashed out massive amounts of money on players they had to play. I think Tammy is a super player for any club in our position looking to go from mid table to a top 6 position. He works hard, he scores all the goals Ollie can score. He's a slightly different player but in no way is he a step down. He might not be good enough for a top 4 side but we should in now way turning our nose up at a player of his ability.

That's certainly not true for Lampard. I think it's important to look at how his record stacks up. After going back to Chelsea h started the season confident and in form with 9 in 9 across all competitions. Since then he's got 21 in 70 including a hattrick against Luton and a couple against Barnsley. I don't mind him as player and I totally get the appeal but I don't think he's the right player to compliment what we have and I think if it wasn't for how well he did for us in the championship people would be much more objective about his limitations.
I agree, I was never convinced that he is a Top 6 striker, I love his effort and attitude but he lacks first touch and guile. I think Ollie has lots more potential.
He would not e the worst signing but not the ideal player for what we need.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #1457 on: May 21, 2021, 09:48:58 AM »
Re Tammy Abraham, I'm puzzled by people saying he is decent but not the kind of quality we need.

Chelsea are 3rd in the PL, he is their joint top scorer with 12 goals from 32 league and cup games (Werner, 12 from 50 and Giroud, 11 from 31). That in a season when he has not been given a consistent run in the side.

He is 23, so still capable of improvement, and can play anywhere across a front three or as a loan striker - though that is not his best role and he has talked about being a wide attacker rather than the central striker.

He knows the club and set-up and importantly the coaches know what he is like to work with and he seems a good fit with many of the players.

Genuine question - how many other strikers tick as many boxes as that for £40m-ish? I would do the deal today and have him introduced to the fans on Sunday before the game! UTV

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1458 on: May 21, 2021, 09:55:37 AM »
The fact that this whole 'he's a wide player really' thing is contradicted by the evidence of our own eyes? I just don't get it. I'd like us to move beyond sentimentality please, we'll need to if we're going to actually challenge for Europe.

Some would call it an obvious signing. I'd call it lazy.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1459 on: May 21, 2021, 10:02:41 AM »
I reckon he could play in a back three as well.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1460 on: May 21, 2021, 10:13:26 AM »

Just checked because I thought he would be in his 30s , he is only 27 seems to have been around ages

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1461 on: May 21, 2021, 10:18:37 AM »
What about this Willock character? I mean Arsenal have already sold us their best goalkeeper by mistake and anything that annoys Newcastle fans and Nan's hair must be goer

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #1462 on: May 21, 2021, 10:19:48 AM »
The fact that this whole 'he's a wide player really' thing is contradicted by the evidence of our own eyes? I just don't get it. I'd like us to move beyond sentimentality please, we'll need to if we're going to actually challenge for Europe.

It's not sentiment. He is Chelsea's best striker this season and they are third and in the CL Final.

One of the biggest risks with a signing is actually knowing the character of the player and how they will settle and work with others at the club. Hence the popularity of loans with options to buy.

That's not lazy. That's common sense.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1463 on: May 21, 2021, 10:23:58 AM »
Also, as I said before, 5 of those goals were against Luton and Barnsley.

The wide player thing needs to be put to bed, if he'd never said it in an interview would anyone look at him and think "he'd make a good winger"?

On the box ticking thing for me too many of those boxes relate to him playing for us 2 years ago. It's the same reason why Milner will probably get a mention on this thread at some point and people have talked about Benteke as a serious option.

What really annoys me about this repeated conversation on him though is that it makes it come across as if I think he's a poor player and that's never been the case, I just don't think he's a good use of the £40-50m they'd want for him and that's been my view for the past 2 summers as well, if he'd been available at any point for around half that I'd be all for it but right now his fee is inflated because of the club he's with just like lots of young English players have been in the last few years.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1464 on: May 21, 2021, 10:27:32 AM »

Just checked because I thought he would be in his 30s , he is only 27 seems to have been around ages

Whenever I see him play for Dortmund he brings to mind Jedinak for us, a fine player but I'm not sure he's mobile enough for the defensive midfielder role.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1465 on: May 21, 2021, 10:30:06 AM »
Happy to be proven wrong, I just dont see it. I see a striker who scores one chance in 5 in the Premier League, and whose only position (he is resolutely not a top 6 winger, are we serious) is occupied in our team by a much better player than him. £40m would be better spent elsewhere.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1466 on: May 21, 2021, 10:34:30 AM »

Whenever I see him play for Dortmund he brings to mind Jedinak for us, a fine player but I'm not sure he's mobile enough for the defensive midfielder role.

I really like Can but I have the same concern, it's the only thing that puts me off him, he does read the game well though so that covers the lack of mobility a lot of the time but I can't decide if it's enough in such a fast league, I suspect he's just better suited to the pace of the German game.

Online nigel

« Reply #1467 on: May 21, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »

It's not sentiment. He is Chelsea's best striker this season and they are third and in the CL Final.

One of the biggest risks with a signing is actually knowing the character of the player and how they will settle and work with others at the club. Hence the popularity of loans with options to buy.

That's not lazy. That's common sense.

Had Tammy not had game time with us already I’d guess many who aren’t as keen would be saying ‘what about that Abraham at Chelsea? 12 goals, not getting game time and only 23. Should be gettable for about £40m’

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1468 on: May 21, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Celtics Dvid Turnbull for 7 mill in the daily Record..  never heard of him

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1469 on: May 21, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »
Can somebody remind me was it Konsa or Engels that had previously played as a defensive midfielder? It's been bugging me for weeks.

Oh and fully agree with Paul_e on the importance of a defensive midfielder being able to read the game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal