collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109099 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2021, 09:07:53 AM »
For Alli see Barkley. It's a no from me.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #346 on: April 14, 2021, 09:10:00 AM »
Can’t see Ali being the type of player that Dean would want -£100 million and £175k a week for 5 years

Think we will be looking at Europe for our next signing

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #347 on: April 14, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »

And me.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2021, 09:10:53 AM »
Hard to know whether we'd end up with a Barkley or a Lingard. Too much of a risk of the former for me.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #349 on: April 14, 2021, 09:39:41 AM »

And me.

Agreed, it's a resounding No from the Irish contingent.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #350 on: April 14, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »

And me.

Yep, agree totally.

I know it's a small sample, but the Tammy, Drinkwater, and Barkley loans from Chelsea - and maybe Tuanzebe from Manchester United - have made me think.  When we were in the Championship, it was fine loaning in younger players who weren't established in their main club's squad - like Tammy.  He'd still got everything to prove, and so had a vested interest in doing well for us.  Same goes for Tuanzebe.  However, now we're a bit higher up the food chain, and we don't really need to be loaning players to develop them any more.  We need ready-made Premier League standard players.

The problem with loaning those sort of players is that either (a) they're not playing for their main club because they're (almost always) not good enough to play for their main club, and (b) they don't have any vested interest in playing well for us, since they've already in their eyes achieved what they're able to/want to achieve.

Alli, I see as being basically in the same category - even if we buy him permanently.  He's reached the top, and we'll be a step down in his eyes.  I've strong suspicions that he'll have limited interest in playing for the club outside of the paypacket he'll get in return.

I'd rather we sign players who will come to the club wanting to prove themselves, whether that's bringing them in from the Championship, or the best players at relegation fodder teams, or players from Europe.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2021, 10:43:32 AM »
Aston Villa are Preparing themselves for a huge offer for Emi Martinez from Manure.  How exactly does that work?  Agent of Emi calls Christian and says ‘be prepared?’  Random from Manure calls Nassef and says ‘be prepared just in case we want to bid for Emi.’  I actually want that to have happened and for Nassef to have said ‘do you know who the fcuk I am?’  In a really belittling manner.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #352 on: April 14, 2021, 10:53:45 AM »

And me.

I’ll throw in a Devonshire No too.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #353 on: April 14, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »
SE London Yes (one vote from me, kids not cast theirs yet).

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #354 on: April 14, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »

And me.

I’ll throw in a Devonshire No too.
He's a bit old for us now. He retired almost 30 years ago.

Offline steamer

« Reply #355 on: April 14, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »
Southern Africa says,
Geen, Che, Cha, Hayi and an emphatic No.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #356 on: April 14, 2021, 12:41:09 PM »
A “NO” from this part of Liverpool

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #357 on: April 14, 2021, 12:43:25 PM »

And me.

Yep, agree totally.

I know it's a small sample, but the Tammy, Drinkwater, and Barkley loans from Chelsea - and maybe Tuanzebe from Manchester United - have made me think.  When we were in the Championship, it was fine loaning in younger players who weren't established in their main club's squad - like Tammy.  He'd still got everything to prove, and so had a vested interest in doing well for us.  Same goes for Tuanzebe.  However, now we're a bit higher up the food chain, and we don't really need to be loaning players to develop them any more.  We need ready-made Premier League standard players.

The problem with loaning those sort of players is that either (a) they're not playing for their main club because they're (almost always) not good enough to play for their main club, and (b) they don't have any vested interest in playing well for us, since they've already in their eyes achieved what they're able to/want to achieve.

Alli, I see as being basically in the same category - even if we buy him permanently.  He's reached the top, and we'll be a step down in his eyes.  I've strong suspicions that he'll have limited interest in playing for the club outside of the paypacket he'll get in return.

I'd rather we sign players who will come to the club wanting to prove themselves, whether that's bringing them in from the Championship, or the best players at relegation fodder teams, or players from Europe.
Out of interest would you put Lingard in the same category?

Lets be clear, I'd never have wanted us to sign Lingard in the last two windows but it's easy to be over simplistic when considering these moves and it turns out he's been brilliant for West Ham and will get them in the top 4.  Barkley started on fire with us, unfortunately something has gone badly wrong and non of us know the full background but yes it will ultimately go down as a miss - even though he played a massive part in the best half season of football Villa have played in the last 10 years.

I'm not saying we should go and sign Ali, but if Smith wants him and believes his attitude is right then I'd be interested to see how it pans out.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #358 on: April 14, 2021, 01:01:51 PM »
We was warned that Barkley was a one in three or four type of player. One really great game then nothing. He had an incredible debut followed by another good game but he hasn’t really produced anything like that since.

As regards Ali I feel he’s another with a great game in the locker and lots of sub standard performances to follow.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:03:24 PM by Ian. »

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #359 on: April 14, 2021, 01:24:14 PM »
The step up between U23 and first team is huge for those wanting to see some of the kids play this season.

I'd like to see a backup CB, a wide player, a '10' and a back up striker.

How do we know. Who was the last to step up from u/23? Ramsey seems capable. We will never know if nobody gets a chance. Other clubs throw kids in from time to time for a debut taster to give them the incentive to progress. 

Having watched a fair bit of U18 and U23 stuff this year, the steps between each level and then to 1st team are pretty big. Stronger, faster, bigger players with more knowledge.
It is rare that a young 17,18 year old can compete physically with grown men. A lad I spoke to (goalkeeper) and had trained at 1st team, U23 and U18 said that the first team are ‘cleverer’ and less obvious when going for goal, quicker with movements and shifting the ball.
U18 football is riddled with mistakes and poor player, equalled by some excellent team player and individual magic.

Loaning players out for periods of time at lower levels helps them acclimatised.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal