collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109596 times)

Offline rougegorge

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #285 on: April 11, 2021, 10:48:57 PM »
How did Brentford make it work with Watkins and Maupay out of interest?

DS was there then wasn't he? Did they just rotate between CF? Or did Ollie play wide much of the time? Not sure he went two upfront as Romaine Sawyers was also there at that time.

When you look at all the top clubs pretty much all of them have a striker who can do a solid job out wide e.g. Rashford, Son, Martinelli, Richarlison, Mane etc.

At some point these guys were all playing at CF but for balance of team it was determined they'd go out wide and they all still get to double figures in seasons.

Not saying we have to do that with Ollie but the idea he must play every single minute of every game at CF and so we should never bother getting in another good CF is a bit of an odd one to me.

Let's remember we have only taken 4 points from losing positions all season so we clearly lack a decent attacking game changer from the bench bar the odd occasion it works like last week.

We simply can't have another season of thinking Davis might turn out o.k when there's occasions like yesterday when he's simply not trusted to come on for last 20 minutes when it's 1-1.

Watkins played left wing of a three if I recall correctly. Seem to remember him tearing Hutton a new one against us one day.
Yes, Maupay played centrally and scored most of the goals and Benrahma was the other winger.

The previous season they used Vibe for a while and also Caños more.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #286 on: April 11, 2021, 10:57:35 PM »
Dike and Danjuma look good in sides that are doing well and are winning most weeks - put them in a mid-table side that struggle as often as they dominate and they may not be all that good.
Possibly, but it’s not to necessarily pitch them in to play every game. Also, Championship players like Maddison, Watkins, Bowen and Benrahma have all done well in recent seasons.

As Ivo points out, signing good players from the Championship should not be discounted.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #287 on: April 11, 2021, 11:21:48 PM »
Of course there is another category which most of the nouveau riche clubs did to get them to where they are...

I am reassured that our owners are building the club up slowly with talented younger players and not just burning their money on Robinho-type signings. It suggests that they are in for the long-haul...

Hopefully this summer will be the last one for a while where we need to bring a fairly significant number of new signings in.  If we can keep the quality we have and plugs the gaps that still exist, then hopefully we may see a couple of seasons where we only really need to add the odd player.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #288 on: April 11, 2021, 11:40:23 PM »
Of course there is another category which most of the nouveau riche clubs did to get them to where they are...

I am reassured that our owners are building the club up slowly with talented younger players and not just burning their money on Robinho-type signings. It suggests that they are in for the long-haul...

Hopefully this summer will be the last one for a while where we need to bring a fairly significant number of new signings in.  If we can keep the quality we have and plugs the gaps that still exist, then hopefully we may see a couple of seasons where we only really need to add the odd player.

The plan, every season, should be 2-4 in the summer and, at most, 1-2 in the winter. no signings generally doesn't work out well and more than a few usually sees a dip in from for the first half of the season whilst they settle in. What we absolutely need to avoid is summers where we're making a new signing every week and end up with 8-10 new players to bed in. It was unavoidable last year but we looked a mess for most of the season because of the sheer amount of players we were trying to settle in at once.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2021, 12:00:11 AM »
Depends how many we release. AEM and Taylor are certs to go and I doubt Engels is too happy given he last played in March 2020 so he'll push for a move.

Hause is fine as back up as he did well over xmas but too risky to just have 3 CBs as only takes one long term injury to disrupt everything.

Not sure we'll see much movement in central midfield personally but obviously have to get in at least one wide player (probably two if Trez injury is as serious as rumoured) and another striker.

Probably 5 signings this summer although perhaps the new CB we sign will have ability to fill in one of the FB positions which would probably make sense given Cash and Targett will be starters again next season so no point spending 15-20m on a Rico Henry type.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2021, 12:09:24 AM »

The plan, every season, should be 2-4 in the summer and, at most, 1-2 in the winter. no signings generally doesn't work out well and more than a few usually sees a dip in from for the first half of the season whilst they settle in. What we absolutely need to avoid is summers where we're making a new signing every week and end up with 8-10 new players to bed in. It was unavoidable last year but we looked a mess for most of the season because of the sheer amount of players we were trying to settle in at once.

There's going to be a large number of changes in personnel this summer but most of them are replacing squad players. Assuming Jack stays and no major injuries, we probably know 9 of the starting 11 for the season opener already and possibly 10 if Sanson is more physically ready after a hard pre season.

It's a big difference from expecting that the likes of Engels, Nakamba and Wesley would form the spine of our newly promoted team which was insanity really.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2021, 12:18:43 AM »
Depends how many we release. AEM and Taylor are certs to go and I doubt Engels is too happy given he last played in March 2020 so he'll push for a move.

Hause is fine as back up as he did well over xmas but too risky to just have 3 CBs as only takes one long term injury to disrupt everything.

Not sure we'll see much movement in central midfield personally but obviously have to get in at least one wide player (probably two if Trez injury is as serious as rumoured) and another striker.

Probably 5 signings this summer although perhaps the new CB we sign will have ability to fill in one of the FB positions which would probably make sense given Cash and Targett will be starters again next season so no point spending 15-20m on a Rico Henry type.

I'd rather us sign 1 player to fill the winger/forward role than a centreback/fullback simply because I'd love us to be able to play a more fluid front 3 of Jack, Ollie and someone else who can all play central or wide, can all drop deep and generally will do a job wherever they happen to get the ball. I've given names of the sort of player I want a few times (Thuram, Gouiri, Malen) but I really like the idea of being able to play without a centre forward or with 2-3 players overloading on 1 side of the pitch for a little while.

We don't need a right back, Guilbert and/or Kessler look like enough cover there.

So Left Back, Centre Back (but both younger to come in as cover initially) and then a midfielder to give us a bit more fight in there. Berge would be a good option I think.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #292 on: April 12, 2021, 12:22:28 AM »
The defence is pretty well sorted, and we don't need any first team upgrades there, or in the keeper spot. A back up or two who can cover at full back or in the middle will probably be necessary assuming Guilbert, Elmo, Engels and Taylor move on, but nothing too expensive and should be self-funding from the sales of Engels and Guilbert.

Jack (when fit) and Ollie are obviously more than fine, but depending on what happens with Wesley, we need another striker and at least one wide player. What I'd like to see is the sort of front three set up that Liverpool have, where Salah/Mane/Firmino/Jota are all pretty interchangeable. With Jack and Ollie we're a fair way there, so a couple of top quality acquisitions there and we'll be in fantastic shape up front.

The midfield I reckon is a bit more of a quandary. Luiz and McGinn have the talent, but haven't had great seasons in all fairness. Sanson hasn't shown anything yet, and Nakamba isn't really good enough. I think we need a Soucek or Kante type to really grab the midfield by the scruff of the neck, it's one area where we don't have any natural leaders or undoubted quality.

I think therefore, that 3-4 top notch additions (two up front, one to two in midfield) would be enough to really get us motoring, plus a couple of cheaper back up options in defence. Obviously if Man City exercise their option on Dougie, then that changes things ever so slightly.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2021, 01:16:22 AM »
Our defence is fine especially if Mings can get the one bad error out of his game, it's the midfield and the wide players where we are well below whats needed. Looking at the really good sides they have an abundance of quality in both areas where we have Trez (bless him for his commitment but) and El Gahzi,as for the midfield the lack of goals stems from there. I believe Watkins is a twenty goals plus a season striker but the service to him is pathetic without Grealish on the pitch. We need two or three proven top players.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2021, 08:54:38 AM »
Our defence is fine especially if Mings can get the one bad error out of his game, it's the midfield and the wide players where we are well below whats needed. Looking at the really good sides they have an abundance of quality in both areas where we have Trez (bless him for his commitment but) and El Gahzi, As for the midfield the lack of goals stems from there. I believe Watkins is a twenty goals plus a season striker but the service to him is pathetic without Grealish on the pitch. We need two or three proven top players.
Several people keep saying that the defence is fine: I'd dispute that. Not only could we be more dominant in the air at the back (see games away at Wet Spam and Burnley as examples) we're also one injury away from being weak at CB, and we need cover for Targett. I'd be looking to bring in a Konsa-type CB and someone like Ryan Sessegnon, who can offer LB and LMF options.
I think AEG will be sold -  perhaps to a promoted side - and we will bring in a strong CMF in the Soucek / Berge mould. This latter move will give Luiz, Sanson and McGinn more freedom to play their natural game.
Davis is the big conundrum: stick or twist? With Wes, Traore and Watkins (and with L Barry and Ramsey Minor poised to make their debut), will we keep Davis or trade him in and get another high-quality striker / wide player? I think probably we will twist, and let him go.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:29 AM »
Central midfield is where most games are won. It is our biggest weakness right now.
You can mitigate problems with wingers by different systems or pushing full backs on to give width. It’s very difficult to compensate for a lack of a natural dominant central midfielder.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »
Central midfield is where most games are won. It is our biggest weakness right now.
You can mitigate problems with wingers by different systems or pushing full backs on to give width. It’s very difficult to compensate for a lack of a natural dominant central midfielder.

That would be the first place I would be looking to strengthen. Then right side of attack.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2021, 10:08:23 AM »
The defence is pretty well sorted, and we don't need any first team upgrades there, or in the keeper spot. A back up or two who can cover at full back or in the middle will probably be necessary assuming Guilbert, Elmo, Engels and Taylor move on, but nothing too expensive and should be self-funding from the sales of Engels and Guilbert.

Jack (when fit) and Ollie are obviously more than fine, but depending on what happens with Wesley, we need another striker and at least one wide player. What I'd like to see is the sort of front three set up that Liverpool have, where Salah/Mane/Firmino/Jota are all pretty interchangeable. With Jack and Ollie we're a fair way there, so a couple of top quality acquisitions there and we'll be in fantastic shape up front.

The midfield I reckon is a bit more of a quandary. Luiz and McGinn have the talent, but haven't had great seasons in all fairness. Sanson hasn't shown anything yet, and Nakamba isn't really good enough. I think we need a Soucek or Kante type to really grab the midfield by the scruff of the neck, it's one area where we don't have any natural leaders or undoubted quality.

I think therefore, that 3-4 top notch additions (two up front, one to two in midfield) would be enough to really get us motoring, plus a couple of cheaper back up options in defence. Obviously if Man City exercise their option on Dougie, then that changes things ever so slightly.

I agree with Risso.

Number 1 signing - right sided wide attacker to ensure Traore and Trez are squad players. Neto, St Max, etc etc
Number 2 signing - the best defensive midfielder we can afford, I'd have Rice tomorrow but Bissouma at Brighton has impressed.
Number 3 signing - depending on whats going on with Davis and Wesley, another striker
Number 4 signing - an up and coming number 10 attacking midfielder ( assuming JG isn't moved there over the summer)

Any other signings should be squad fillers to replace those who decide to depart or are at contracts end.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #298 on: April 12, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »
It would not be very likely to happen, but I'd move Heaven and Earth to try and get Pulisic.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #299 on: April 12, 2021, 02:23:34 PM »
The exciting thing is we will be spending a very decent amount of money this summer on players that should break our transfer record a few times I imagine. We need to upgrade and add depth in a number of areas because if nothing else the recent run without Jack has proven the drop off in quality is too great. Now much of that falls on the manager but some of it naturally is highlighted in that we need better players in key midfield and attacking areas. That’s where the focus will be and I hope complimented by one or two younger players stepping up from the academy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal