collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109544 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2021, 05:02:58 PM »
Tammy could play in any of the 3 forward positions though. That's the positive with him is that he could be top quality alternative to Watkins but he could easily play alongside him as a wide forward.
Yeah, that's how I see Tammy-Watkins working too, maybe both playing about 50% of the games as centre forward and another 20% or so on the wing. Wes as 3rd choice striker, with Keinan out on loan at a lower half PL side.

Maybe but we'd possibly need to be in Europe or go far in both domestic cups to justify that range of choices before one of the three (Wes, logically) starts to agitate. If we sold two of the three current wingers (most likely Trez and Ghaz) and go in one quality one (i.e £30m+), it might be a go-er.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #271 on: April 11, 2021, 05:13:56 PM »
McNeil is a decent shout, proper old school winger, very direct.

Think that is what we need in the formation we play really.  Leicester and West Ham both have those kind of wingers - hard working, good with the ball and chip in with goals.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #272 on: April 11, 2021, 05:16:24 PM »
McNeil is a decent shout, proper old school winger, very direct.

Think that is what we need in the formation we play really.  Leicester and West Ham both have those kind of wingers - hard working, good with the ball and chip in with goals.
if he had a yard of pace he would be very good. But he doesn’t

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #273 on: April 11, 2021, 06:00:35 PM »
McNeil would be a good shout as he's young and will develop further.

Looking beyond players to go straight in to the team,  I'd try and get Daryl Dike from Orlando to improve the squad. He's only 20 and is strong and moreover is a goalscorer. I think there's a $20m buy out clause. He did well in MSL and has done really well at Barnsley.

Danjuma is another player who would be worth a look. He's got some pace and has had a good season. Again, not necessarily one to go straight in the first team, but he could strengthen our backup and at 24, he has the right profile for further development.

Offline Ivo Stas

« Reply #274 on: April 11, 2021, 06:10:50 PM »
Regarding summer transfers, I hope the club takes a look at what's worked and continues in the same vein. So far, since returning to the Premier League, we have:

a) signed the best young talent from the Championship (Watkins, Cash, Konsa) and that has worked out very well for us. West Ham have done something similar (Benrama, Bowen) and they are having a good season. Moyes has a bit of previous with Championship signings, think back to Everton signing the likes of Tim Cahill from Millwall and (ahem) Joleon Lescott from Wolves. So that would suggest signing the likes of the Olise from Reading this summer. This strategy also has the benefit of not placing stress on our wage bill. In fact, I like the fact that our highest-paid players are those who have earned the improved contracts with performances for us (Grealish, McGinn, Mings, etc). Buying in someone like, say, Saha from Palace would suddenly parachute a new player to the top of our wage bill and lead to parity demands from others...

b) bought overseas players at middling prices from the Belgian and French leagues. I don't think this has worked out well for us. I have a certain fondness for El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Engels,Nakamba and Samatta but none of them are anything more than squad players. And of the newer overseas additions, Traore is hot-and-cold and Sanson hasn't done anything yet to suggest he is a better option than Jacob Ramsey. And when was the last time an overseas signing was an unqualified success for us..? Benteke..?

c) and there is a third category of signing we've made: fringe players from other Premier League squads, such as Targett, Luiz and Martinez. (If you discount on-loan fringe players like Drinkwater and Barkley,) I'd declare those as all successful signings.

So more of a) and c) type signings please and less of b).

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #275 on: April 11, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »
Dike and Danjuma look good in sides that are doing well and are winning most weeks - put them in a mid-table side that struggle as often as they dominate and they may not be all that good.

Online jwarry

« Reply #276 on: April 11, 2021, 06:13:43 PM »
Regarding summer transfers, I hope the club takes a look at what's worked and continues in the same vein. So far, since returning to the Premier League, we have:

a) signed the best young talent from the Championship (Watkins, Cash, Konsa) and that has worked out very well for us. West Ham have done something similar (Benrama, Bowen) and they are having a good season. Moyes has a bit of previous with Championship signings, think back to Everton signing the likes of Tim Cahill from Millwall and (ahem) Joleon Lescott from Wolves. So that would suggest signing the likes of the Olise from Reading this summer. This strategy also has the benefit of not placing stress on our wage bill. In fact, I like the fact that our highest-paid players are those who have earned the improved contracts with performances for us (Grealish, McGinn, Mings, etc). Buying in someone like, say, Saha from Palace would suddenly parachute a new player to the top of our wage bill and lead to parity demands from others...

b) bought overseas players at middling prices from the Belgian and French leagues. I don't think this has worked out well for us. I have a certain fondness for El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Engels,Nakamba and Samatta but none of them are anything more than squad players. And of the newer overseas additions, Traore is hot-and-cold and Sanson hasn't done anything yet to suggest he is a better option than Jacob Ramsey. And when was the last time an overseas signing was an unqualified success for us..? Benteke..?

c) and there is a third category of signing we've made: fringe players from other Premier League squads, such as Targett, Luiz and Martinez. (If you discount on-loan fringe players like Drinkwater and Barkley,) I'd declare those as all successful signings.

So more of a) and c) type signings please and less of b).

Of course there is another category which most of the nouveau riche clubs did to get them to where they are...

Offline Ivo Stas

« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2021, 06:16:24 PM »
Just responding to my own post to say we could add:

Kalinic, Gilbert and Wesley to the list of players in category b)

and Mings, Hause and Heaton to the list of players in category c)

and, I suppose, Jota to category a) to be the exception that proves the rule..! (Although did we give them money or just Gary Gardner?)

Offline Ivo Stas

« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »
Of course there is another category which most of the nouveau riche clubs did to get them to where they are...

I am reassured that our owners are building the club up slowly with talented younger players and not just burning their money on Robinho-type signings. It suggests that they are in for the long-haul...

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2021, 06:39:16 PM »
They're doing a good job of putting systems and the right personnel in place and building a foundation. I do wonder whether there will come a point though when they're happy with everything and push the 'go' button.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2021, 08:39:07 PM »
How did Brentford make it work with Watkins and Maupay out of interest?

DS was there then wasn't he? Did they just rotate between CF? Or did Ollie play wide much of the time? Not sure he went two upfront as Romaine Sawyers was also there at that time.

When you look at all the top clubs pretty much all of them have a striker who can do a solid job out wide e.g. Rashford, Son, Martinelli, Richarlison, Mane etc.

At some point these guys were all playing at CF but for balance of team it was determined they'd go out wide and they all still get to double figures in seasons.

Not saying we have to do that with Ollie but the idea he must play every single minute of every game at CF and so we should never bother getting in another good CF is a bit of an odd one to me.

Let's remember we have only taken 4 points from losing positions all season so we clearly lack a decent attacking game changer from the bench bar the odd occasion it works like last week.

We simply can't have another season of thinking Davis might turn out o.k when there's occasions like yesterday when he's simply not trusted to come on for last 20 minutes when it's 1-1.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #281 on: April 11, 2021, 09:19:39 PM »
I think credit should also be given for not signing certain players. Josh King and Callum Wilson both would have cost mega bucks.. the latter knows where the goal is but too injury prone.

We bid for Wilson, had the bid accepted and he chose Newcastle.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #282 on: April 11, 2021, 09:29:22 PM »
I just don't see Tammy in that role at all. He's a good player around the box but I don't think his all round game is good enough to play wide. He's fine drifting out every now and then but I think he'd be found out very quickly if we asked him to do the job that we expect our wingers to do.

Agree - not sure he’s that type of player at all.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2021, 09:32:05 PM »
How did Brentford make it work with Watkins and Maupay out of interest?

DS was there then wasn't he? Did they just rotate between CF? Or did Ollie play wide much of the time? Not sure he went two upfront as Romaine Sawyers was also there at that time.

When you look at all the top clubs pretty much all of them have a striker who can do a solid job out wide e.g. Rashford, Son, Martinelli, Richarlison, Mane etc.

At some point these guys were all playing at CF but for balance of team it was determined they'd go out wide and they all still get to double figures in seasons.

Not saying we have to do that with Ollie but the idea he must play every single minute of every game at CF and so we should never bother getting in another good CF is a bit of an odd one to me.

Let's remember we have only taken 4 points from losing positions all season so we clearly lack a decent attacking game changer from the bench bar the odd occasion it works like last week.

We simply can't have another season of thinking Davis might turn out o.k when there's occasions like yesterday when he's simply not trusted to come on for last 20 minutes when it's 1-1.

Watkins played left wing of a three if I recall correctly. Seem to remember him tearing Hutton a new one against us one day.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #284 on: April 11, 2021, 09:42:13 PM »
I would love to see Tammy in the middle with Watkins to the left of him and Jack just behind. A top attacker to the right also. Two solid defensive midfielders behind Jack.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal