collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109727 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »
The 3 at the back under Little was different because, at the heart of it, we had one of the greatest defenders to have ever played the game.

McGrath was being eased out at that time IIRC. Can't remember how much of a regular he was in 95/96 but certainly not playing early part of 96/97 and soon moved on to Derby.

The genius from SBL was deciding Southgate could play in there as he was mainly a DM at Crystal Palace and him and Ugo were great mix with Staunton playing a fair bit as LCB.

Brian Little said in his book he went against his instincts in summer 1997 moving away from that formation just to fit Collymore in. Pretty sure Yorke started that season playing in midfield for some bizarre reason and that got scrapped after the first 4 games.

I think we could play a 3-4-2-1 pretty comfortably with what we've got. Worth noting for instance Douglas Luiz played a fair bit in a back 3 for Girona for instance so I'd be intrigued him slotting alongside Mings and konsa at the back which could allow us to sign the mythical 10ft tall DM and we could do the two number 10s thing that worked briefly well under Sherwood with Jack and Traore floating off the CF.

Decent plan B option.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2021, 11:18:06 PM »
I'm not really in to a back 3 option.  I think more than any other position, a good defensive partnership is all about stability (think Dixon - Adams - Bould/Keown - Winterburn at Arsenal, or Maldini - Baresi - Costacurta - Tassotti at Milan).  Both of those played basically the same back 4 in practically every game for a decade or more.  They were also rock solid defences.  I'm all for saying that our current back 4 should be playing together for a good while yet, and we shouldn' t look to massively disrupt what's already one of the best defences in the league.

I think there's a massive case, though, for us to be able to play a number of 4-defender-based formations, and to be able to swap between them during the match.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #242 on: April 08, 2021, 11:23:35 PM »
I'd be quite happy if we started next season like:

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
Douglas Luiz - New DM
Traore - McGinn - Grealish
Watkins

With Neil Taylor replaced by an up-and-coming leftback, Engels likewise, and AEG replaced by a better left winger. Bit of stability, just the 4 players in, 3 players out 2 of which are out of contract.

Our second 11 would then look like this:

Heaton/Steer
Guilbert/Kessler - New DF - Hause - New LB
Sanson - Nakamba
Trez - Ramsay - New LW
Watkins/Davies

The 3 new players (aside from the DM) would be players we'd hope/expect to replace Targett, Mings, and a left winger good enough to allow Jack to play in a free role in a couple of seasons.

2022 would target moving Guilbert, Marv, and Trez on - and possibly Wesley and/or Hause. At that point I'd hope we'd mostly be buying players who would improve that 2nd eleven, but with the potential to displace a member of the first team within a season or two.

I think we will struggle to hold onto the likes of Guilbert and Nakamba this summer. Smith gave them precious little game time this season so I'd expect both will try and move on. Davis and Heaton will both be off on loan surely bar a late season surge from Davis.

I think we will see a lot of change this summer in personnel with some of our promotion winners and Suso's signings moving on. Barkley leaving too obviously. That's before the Grealish situation plays out over the summer again. Do we have another young gun like Ramsey capable of stepping up next season into the first team squad?

Left centre mid bruiser, some options at the back, backup to Watkins and replacement for Barkley required as a priority.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #243 on: April 09, 2021, 10:48:24 AM »
A back 3 too easily becomes a back 5 and I don't know why we're looking to go away from a back 4 that's worked so well for us.

For me, our problems are -
1) The lack of a high quality number 10 which worked really well before Barkley's injury and meant Jack could be more influential.
2) A lack of creativity in the side when we have neither a quality number 10 or Jack. A quality wide player would help so that we would then have Jack, a number 10 and another. Then if Jack's out for a time, we still have 2 creative outlets in the side.
3) Shoehorning an out-of-form Luiz and a player like McGinn, who's not an out-and-out defensive midfielder, as the 2 anchors that are needed to make 4-2-3-1 work. Sign a quality out-and-out defensive midfielder for genuine competition for places and ensure that if you're not in form, you don't play.

Elmohamaday, Taylor, Engels, Guilbert, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Hourihane and possibly Heaton I would speculate are likely to leave.

Kaine-Kesler will probably become understudy to Matty Cash and we may look to add squad depth through some of the kids. Sinisalo becoming third choice keeper if Heaton leaves. Maybe Revan, Bridge or Bogarde (longer-term) being back-up to Mings/Konsa/Hause.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:50:54 AM by OCD »

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #244 on: April 09, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »
The consensus is that we need to recruit players that will improve the starting line-up and also that we find opportunities to develop our emerging and talented youngsters.

Obviously I agree with that.

Beyond that, it appears some want 'good back-up' options and that is inevitably part of assembling the most competitive squad.

Though I think, particularly in attacking areas, we need players that are at least as good as those that are picked for a particular game, i.e. of comparable quality so that we can make changes when for a number of reasons we are not creating chances (an off day for a player that starts, how the opposition has set up, etc.)

In such circumstances our options should include players that offer something a bit different BUT are still of the quality we need to be competing at the top end of the PL. Hence Traore has to be part of the picture for me - to start and come off if not working or to be on the bench to come on to try and spark a change.

One of the barriers to our progress now is if Grealish is neutralised or Traore is not 'on it' or we are providing Watkins with poor or limited service.

Our bench now is very poor at offering options to address. UTV

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #245 on: April 09, 2021, 01:10:58 PM »
The consensus is that we need to recruit players that will improve the starting line-up and also that we find opportunities to develop our emerging and talented youngsters.
Obviously I agree with that.
Beyond that, it appears some want 'good back-up' options and that is inevitably part of assembling the most competitive squad.
Though I think, particularly in attacking areas, we need players that are at least as good as those that are picked for a particular game, i.e. of comparable quality so that we can make changes when for a number of reasons we are not creating chances (an off day for a player that starts, how the opposition has set up, etc.)
In such circumstances our options should include players that offer something a bit different BUT are still of the quality we need to be competing at the top end of the PL. Hence Traore has to be part of the picture for me - to start and come off if not working or to be on the bench to come on to try and spark a change.

One of the barriers to our progress now is if Grealish is neutralised or Traore is not 'on it' or we are providing Watkins with poor or limited service.

Our bench now is very poor at offering options to address. UTV
Your point about Grealish is why I suggested elsewhere that Brighton's Trossard might be worth adding to our squad. He seems to be a hard-working, skillful player who can do different things as well as find a decent pass.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2021, 01:15:00 PM »
I'd be quite happy if we started next season like:

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
Douglas Luiz - New DM
Traore - McGinn - Grealish
Watkins

With Neil Taylor replaced by an up-and-coming leftback, Engels likewise, and AEG replaced by a better left winger. Bit of stability, just the 4 players in, 3 players out 2 of which are out of contract.

Our second 11 would then look like this:

Heaton/Steer
Guilbert/Kessler - New DF - Hause - New LB
Sanson - Nakamba
Trez - Ramsay - New LW
Watkins/Davies

The 3 new players (aside from the DM) would be players we'd hope/expect to replace Targett, Mings, and a left winger good enough to allow Jack to play in a free role in a couple of seasons.

2022 would target moving Guilbert, Marv, and Trez on - and possibly Wesley and/or Hause. At that point I'd hope we'd mostly be buying players who would improve that 2nd eleven, but with the potential to displace a member of the first team within a season or two.

I think we will struggle to hold onto the likes of Guilbert and Nakamba this summer. Smith gave them precious little game time this season so I'd expect both will try and move on. Davis and Heaton will both be off on loan surely bar a late season surge from Davis.

I think we will see a lot of change this summer in personnel with some of our promotion winners and Suso's signings moving on. Barkley leaving too obviously. That's before the Grealish situation plays out over the summer again. Do we have another young gun like Ramsey capable of stepping up next season into the first team squad?

Left centre mid bruiser, some options at the back, backup to Watkins and replacement for Barkley required as a priority.

Haha, you're kidding right? You're a Tabloid reporter aren't you?

« Reply #247 on: April 09, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »
Re Trossard, from what I have seen of him, I agree Mister E. He looks a very good player.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #248 on: April 09, 2021, 03:43:07 PM »
Of course, he plays for the best international team in the world. Brighton, like any PL club, will charge stupid prices for any half-decent players.

« Reply #249 on: April 09, 2021, 04:37:01 PM »
Of course, he plays for the best international team in the world. Brighton, like any PL club, will charge stupid prices for any half-decent players.
Agreed, and clubs and agents will be well aware of how minted our owners are.

But progressing from 'top half' to 'top 4' is very unlikely if we take too many punts on players that might work out. We are now in a position where we need more proven, not potential, ability.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #250 on: April 09, 2021, 06:44:31 PM »
Agreed, and clubs and agents will be well aware of how minted our owners are.

But progressing from 'top half' to 'top 4' is very unlikely if we take too many punts on players that might work out. We are now in a position where we need more proven, not potential, ability.

If the scouting network is set up correctly then we should be signing people just as they're shifting from potential to proven, that's how we went last summer with Martinez, Cash and Watkins and all three were fantastic calls who've shown they absolutely belong in the top half of the premier league. If we can deliver a similar group again I'll be very happy.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #251 on: April 09, 2021, 08:08:02 PM »
We should also consider deals for young players where we sign them but leave them on loan at the same club so they can develop whilst close to their families etc.  The chap at Reading being a prime example.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #252 on: April 09, 2021, 08:38:12 PM »
I think the signing of players from the Championship might be how we do our business this summer. We've had great success with Watkins and Cash :)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2021, 08:53:09 PM »
We should also consider deals for young players where we sign them but leave them on loan at the same club so they can develop whilst close to their families etc.  The chap at Reading being a prime example.

I want us to get to this point but if FFP is still an issue, we may need to use our budget for immediate impact.

We should still be hoovering up the best young talent though like last year when we signed Chrisene from Exeter.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2021, 11:18:49 AM »
I hope we are in for Olise at Reading.  Alongside Eze he’s the closest likeness to Jack I have seen.  He glides rather than runs and has superb control of the ball.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal