collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109149 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2021, 02:55:35 PM »
Summer List for me:

Striker (Tammy)
Winger at least x1 maybe x2 - (Brooks from Bournemouth)
CM - Upgrade on Barkley (Olise)
DM - Some proper enforcer
LB - Competition for Targett  - (Rico Henry)
CB - Upgrade on engels and someone to properly challenge Konsa/Mings  (Dunk)

That's too many changes for me, 2-4 in the summer and 1-2 in the winter should be the aim for the transfer windows if you're managing things properly. Aside from that you've given 5 names, 1 is a bit part player at a decent team, 1 is a regular in a bottom half of the league squad and 3 are decent championship players. I'd hope that we're aiming a little higher than that because that lot would probably mean a stronger squad but I don't think they'd improve the team very much.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2021, 02:55:43 PM »

You only play that if your centre halves are crap, ours aren't so it's a waste.

Or your wingers are, and so you ask Cash and Targett to play as wing backs instead.

Buy better wingers.

Kids, just say no (to three centre backs)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #197 on: April 07, 2021, 02:56:22 PM »
I hate playing 3 centre backs, literally the only time I think it works is if you come up against a team like Liverpool who play 2 wide forwards and a 10.

As an attacking system it can work for a little while but gets found out and once that happens you just don't score enough goals.

Football is, at the most fundamental level, all about making the opposition players be where you want them to be, take this weekend for example, we want Trent and Robertson playing in a flat back 4 and scared to come forward, that was a big part of how we beat them so convincingly at home because we broke their shape. 352 and 343 are 2 of the easiest systems to drag players out of position in and once teams figure out the players to target when doing it things unravel very quickly, watch Sheffield United from the start of last season and the start o this, mostly the same players in the same formation but their heatmaps/average positions are completely different and it's reflected in how poor they've been.

It depends on how good your players are. It was working extremely well for Chelsea until their last match. Obviously if you're up against a better team, it becomes a 5-3-2, but if you're using it on the front foot with good attacking full backs, it could work, especially when you have two players as good as Cash and Targett.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #198 on: April 07, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
Bono
Dave Woodhall

Is the missing answer "Zombie Rangers" and the question "What do posters that use multiple aliases obsess about most"?

I'll reply using one of my other usernames later.

Online LeeB

« Reply #199 on: April 07, 2021, 02:58:52 PM »
Any system that leaves a team with players Chelsea have open to the shellacking they got from a pile of shite like the Albion needs binning, pronto.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2021, 03:01:52 PM »

Or your wingers are, and so you ask Cash and Targett to play as wing backs instead.

Buy better wingers.

I agree with LeeB.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2021, 03:05:55 PM »
Bono
Dave Woodhall

We need evidence that they are not one and the same person.

Online LeeB

« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2021, 03:15:18 PM »
"No, it's not the fecking programme, but if you don't buy it kids die in Africa because of YOU, ya bollocks!"

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2021, 03:15:40 PM »
I hate playing 3 centre backs, literally the only time I think it works is if you come up against a team like Liverpool who play 2 wide forwards and a 10.

As an attacking system it can work for a little while but gets found out and once that happens you just don't score enough goals.

Football is, at the most fundamental level, all about making the opposition players be where you want them to be, take this weekend for example, we want Trent and Robertson playing in a flat back 4 and scared to come forward, that was a big part of how we beat them so convincingly at home because we broke their shape. 352 and 343 are 2 of the easiest systems to drag players out of position in and once teams figure out the players to target when doing it things unravel very quickly, watch Sheffield United from the start of last season and the start o this, mostly the same players in the same formation but their heatmaps/average positions are completely different and it's reflected in how poor they've been.

It depends on how good your players are. It was working extremely well for Chelsea until their last match. Obviously if you're up against a better team, it becomes a 5-3-2, but if you're using it on the front foot with good attacking full backs, it could work, especially when you have two players as good as Cash and Targett.

but if you have players that are so good what benefits do you get from playing 3 centre backs? As I said I think there's just too many ways to counter it compared to 4 at the back and someone sweeping in front as a DM. You have the same number of defensive players but they just fit together better in almost all circumstances.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #204 on: April 07, 2021, 03:41:48 PM »
Exciting Wingers please, similar to Ashley Young at his peak.

Is Rashica still available?

He's one of the best Aston Villa players and most exciting Villa players to play in the premier league and I've ever seen! Won the PFA Young Player of the Year what a talent he was and even now at Inter. And fair play to his resurgence at Man Utd and becoming captain there. And playing in world cup semi final. Youngy still has a lot of love for Villa

Those were the days! Young and Milner wonderful players and both showed later in career they can play wing back and fullback !

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #205 on: April 07, 2021, 03:48:10 PM »

He's one of the best Aston Villa players and most exciting Villa players to play in the premier league and I've ever seen! Won the PFA Young Player of the Year what a talent he was and even now at Inter. And fair play to his resurgence at Man Utd and becoming captain there. And playing in world cup semi final. Youngy still has a lot of love for Villa

Those were the days! Young and Milner wonderful players and both showed later in career they can play wing back and fullback !

He must have set up a pretty high percentage of John Carew’s goals. They linked up so well.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2021, 03:57:26 PM »
Drop Mings and Play Cash, Konsa and Targett as a 3......... :-)

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #207 on: April 07, 2021, 04:09:30 PM »
What has Brooks done this season at Bournemouth to think he'd help us make the next step? Plus they'd want ridiculous money for him based on very little.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2021, 05:05:29 PM »

Buy better wingers.

I agree with LeeB.

It's not like me to agree with cd and LeeB, but on this one occasion I do tend to. Three centre halves is the system we'd play if the Tories sacked Dean and outsourced the management of the side to Serco.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2021, 06:18:21 PM »

I think Ashley Young is the most exciting player I've seen for us, before he moved into the middle and wasn't as good. Possibly Grealish too.

Solano and Benteke had their moments as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal