collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109646 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2021, 02:27:21 PM »
Exactly. If we must sign a defender, he should be a Roberto Carlos type that never bothers defending and only cares about free kicks.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2021, 02:34:43 PM »
Do we have to replace Engels? How many minutes has he played? If we qualify for Europe, sure. If not, we have more pressing needs.
Depends if you want to go into next season hoping that both Mings and Konda will continue to stay squeaky-clean fit; and, whether we think Hause alone will cover our potential needs. I'd like to think, also, that Smith comes to realise that having the option to play 3-5-2 is useful at times (as many other teams do in this division), for which a 3rd good CB would be necessary.
We need CB back-up; as others have said, a young CB from the Championship or another Premier-League academy (i.e. another Konsa if possible).

I hate 3-5-2 so it's a no from me. Not against the idea of signing another centre half but if we aren't in Europe, I'd be happy enough with Mings, Konsa and Hause as our options.

Personally I think we'd be well set up for a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 formation - or at least trialling it.

The danger with three at the back is it can become 5 if you have three centre halves who are effectively just stoppers and the wing backs get pegged deep. With most sides playing one up top these days that's a waste of resources that can be used further forward.

But in Mings and Konsa we have two pacey centre backs who can get up and and support the play as required and are more than comfortable doing the defensive stuff as well.

With an attack focused 3-4-3, you would have - as an example - a left centre half in Mings who has played left back for the majority of his career and can bomb forward, you could have a player like Sessegnon wide left who has played in various positions on that flank and could drop in to cover, with Grealish on the left of an attacking front three with licence to cut in and roam. In that scenario Targett would miss out which would be harsh, but could suit us against some opponents.

I don't think we've played that formation once under Smith yet, mind.  So the chances of seeing it are slim to none.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2021, 02:36:18 PM »
Just no! How many times! Three centre backs is the work of the Devil! 😡

Next person to suggest it gets added to my Enemies List. I'm warning you! You don't want to end up on a list with Bono, do you?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2021, 02:36:52 PM »
Exactly. If we must sign a defender, he should be a Roberto Carlos type that never bothers defending and only cares about free kicks.

I feel that most of the full-backs we've signed for the last ten years are the sort that never bother defending.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2021, 02:37:46 PM »
I've always liked 3-5-2, mainly because Brian Little's woefully under-rated team played it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2021, 02:38:41 PM »

I feel that most of the full-backs we've signed for the last ten years are the sort that never bother defending.

Maybe, but I was thinking more samba-style swaggering up the pitch than ashen-faced cowering out of the way.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2021, 02:38:55 PM »
Bono
Dave Woodhall

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2021, 02:43:51 PM »
I do agree that it's probably not worth persevering with permanently for reasons the Witchfinder of Yardley says, but when played properly with a proper sweeper and wing-backs it was good to watch. Then came John Gregory, a flat back five and a defensive midfielder.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2021, 02:46:55 PM »

You only play that if your centre halves are crap, ours aren't so it's a waste.

Or your wingers are, and so you ask Cash and Targett to play as wing backs instead.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2021, 02:48:26 PM »

Or going forward, or indeed, looking like a professional footballer at all. (Obviously this does not apply to the current incumbents).

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2021, 02:49:12 PM »
Bono
Dave Woodhall

Is the missing answer "Zombie Rangers" and the question "What do posters that use multiple aliases obsess about most"?

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2021, 02:50:13 PM »
Summer List for me:

Striker (Tammy)
Winger at least x1 maybe x2 - (Brooks from Bournemouth)
CM - Upgrade on Barkley (Olise)
DM - Some proper enforcer
LB - Competition for Targett  - (Rico Henry)
CB - Upgrade on engels and someone to properly challenge Konsa/Mings  (Dunk)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #192 on: April 07, 2021, 02:52:39 PM »
I hate playing 3 centre backs, literally the only time I think it works is if you come up against a team like Liverpool who play 2 wide forwards and a 10.

As an attacking system it can work for a little while but gets found out and once that happens you just don't score enough goals.

Football is, at the most fundamental level, all about making the opposition players be where you want them to be, take this weekend for example, we want Trent and Robertson playing in a flat back 4 and scared to come forward, that was a big part of how we beat them so convincingly at home because we broke their shape. 352 and 343 are 2 of the easiest systems to drag players out of position in and once teams figure out the players to target when doing it things unravel very quickly, watch Sheffield United from the start of last season and the start o this, mostly the same players in the same formation but their heatmaps/average positions are completely different and it's reflected in how poor they've been.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2021, 02:55:10 PM »
Exciting Wingers please, similar to Ashley Young at his peak.

Is Rashica still available?

Offline Mellin

« Reply #194 on: April 07, 2021, 02:55:27 PM »
Did we not learn the lessons from only having three centre backs from, what, 3 years ago?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal