collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by frank black
[Today at 01:19:41 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by eamonn
[Today at 01:18:48 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 01:17:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 01:17:12 PM]

Re: FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other live sport you've watched and was it any good ?  (Read 5331 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Other live sport you've watched and was it any good ?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2021, 11:22:02 PM »
Cricket: seen England and Warwickshire many times. The highlights are seeing the former beat the Aussies in a one day and seeing the latter win a trophy at Lord's. A good piss up in the sun while watching cricket is a much missed pleasure during Covid.

American football: seen three games including the mighty Chicago Bears once at Wembley (won) and once at Tottenham (lost). Both great days despite the latter result and I hope to see a game in Chicago one day.

Snooker: only done the Crucible so far, in 2018 and 2019. Bought tickets for 2020 but were carried over to this year and now again to 2022. Fancy seeing the UK Championship and The Masters, too. Maybe the competition they have in Coventry as it is only down the road.

Indoor football: does this count as a different sport? Anyway Villa Masters lost to Small Heath who went on to lose to Wolves in the final, as I recall. Just sat and got drunk and there wasn't the aggro you would usually get mixing fans like that. I'd have gone again but it seems to have been cancelled a few years ago.

Dog racing: can't remember ever winning much, always got drunk. It was alright.

Para-athletics: didn't watch much of it, a friend got free tickets and invited me. The main person we had heard of, I think Johnny Peacock, got disqualified. It was a ridiculously hot day and there was a picnic area outside selling beer and burgers so I got drunk. There may be a theme developing here...

Never been to a rugby match but I have been to a party at Moseley's old ground and climbed the floodlights for a dare. Because I'm an idiot.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2021, 10:28:09 AM »
Oh, and Basketball: watching Celtics, Knicks, Pistons, Nets, 76ers...great athleticism in a game the scoring is more or less pointless until the end. Yawn. At least I saw Erving, Ewing, Thomas and Bird play, but the big thing I don't get is why I managed to go to so many games of a sport I cordially dislike?

I struggle with basketball for similar reasons; there's just too much scoring.

I've never been to an NBA game but I have been to the Basketball Hall of Fame (a mate works there)

I missed the Harlem Globetrotters off my list of other sports watched because, as with WWE, it's really just circus clowning dressed up as a sport.

Also, I've just remembered that I've been to a few UK American Football games. The Cotswold Bears played a couple of home games at Lydney RFC back in the 1980s.

I went to watch the South West Royals (not 100% sure of the name, but it was something like that) play in Gloucester. I walked out of that one. It was absolutely dire

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2021, 10:32:12 AM »
I am surprised at the number of people who have never been to Rugby Union, or have only seen a couple of games.

However, I suppose we get a false impression down here where Rugby is the number one sport.

Until my first trip to Villa Park at age 26, the only football I'd seen was a couple of school trips to Wembley to watch England U15/18 and a 1980ish pre season game at Lydney between Bristol City and a Forest Select XI

Online ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2021, 11:19:16 AM »
My granddad got free tickets for Gladiators years back and took me and my brother.

Can't remember a lot about it and sort of a sport/soap opera crossover

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2021, 03:16:22 PM »
England vs. Canada at Twickenham in 1994 with school. Suspect our rugby master, among with others around the country, was given a bucketload of tickets to get kids into the game and to assure a full stadium. Can't remember much of the game, other than the Canadian 10 throwing one pass out like a quarterback, and that I had said Canadian 10 in the sweepstake for first try which I think was won by England 14 (Tony Underwood?).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2021, 05:19:46 PM »
I am surprised at the number of people who have never been to Rugby Union, or have only seen a couple of games.

However, I suppose we get a false impression down here where Rugby is the number one sport.

Until my first trip to Villa Park at age 26, the only football I'd seen was a couple of school trips to Wembley to watch England U15/18 and a 1980ish pre season game at Lydney between Bristol City and a Forest Select XI

I'm surprised you're surprised, to be honest. Birmingham isn't a rugby city. People watch the Six Nations but in all the jobs I've skived at I can't remember a single colleague who went to watch, say, Moseley.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2021, 06:09:40 PM »

I'm surprised you're surprised, to be honest. Birmingham isn't a rugby city. People watch the Six Nations but in all the jobs I've skived at I can't remember a single colleague who went to watch, say, Moseley.

I'd agree with that, when I first started working in Brum, all anyone talked about was Football and that was despite moving over from the Anglia/East Mids border which is a biggish Rugby area and having played Rugby most of my teen years. I was quite surprised at how little impact or cut through Moseley had as the areas premier Rugby Union team. I think they missed the boat massively as professionalism came in in the early 90s as well. 

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2021, 06:12:34 PM »
In all the sports I saw in America, the thing that struck me was the lack of away supporters, which created a very odd (to me as a neutral most of the time) atmosphere.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2021, 07:07:50 PM »
In all the sports I saw in America, the thing that struck me was the lack of away supporters, which created a very odd (to me as a neutral most of the time) atmosphere.

One exception I saw to this was at a Marlins home game against the Mets. Lots of NY snowbirds at it and there were as many if not more Mets chants than Marlins. No trouble at the game to report though.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2021, 10:44:28 PM »
I've been to a fair bit of cricket over the years. Very little rugby union, only one club game and a couple of internationals. Living oop north I've been to more league live. The missus and I went to a couple of ice hockey games pre lockdown which she enjoyed, unusually for sport. Could have become a regular thing I think. Maybe it will yet. Seen NFL a couple of times at Wembley, would love to go to a game in the US at some point.

It's not the same as watching the Villa but some highlights:

1991 Refuge Assurance Cup final Old Trafford. Nail biting one dayer watching Worcester winning at Lancs. We were only kids but I remember it being hugely enjoyable.

Leeds v St Helens in 2003 I think. 20-0 down with 20 to go and ended up winning 30-20. Absolutely buzzing coming out of the stadium that night.

2007 rugby union world cup quarter final, New Zealand v France in Cardiff. Watched England win in the pub earlier in the day. Great day drinking outside with all nationalities and then France knock out the All Blacks. The world turned upside down.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2021, 11:42:58 PM »

Yep, i’ve probably watched more games at Moseley than most people in Brum.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2021, 08:31:28 AM »
I've seen the best club team in the world, The Crusaders a few times.

Have seen the All Blacks a few times as well, even against The Lions in Christchurch.   
Don't really like rugby that much though, I usually go when I get offered free tickets and as I am a mate of the CEO of Canterbury Rugby that's quite often.   

Offline Gary Penrice

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2021, 02:44:44 PM »
Rugby Union - Countless Moseley games at The Reddings but drifted more to grass roots when they moved.

Rugby League - A good few Wigan games when they played at Central Park.

Horse Racing - Most of the big meetings but still prefer a day at Worcester,Warwick,Stratford etc

Dog Racing - Haven't been since Hall Green closed.

Boxing - From arenas to small halls I've lost count.....York Hall is still a must for any follower of the noble art.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
Hurling, arguably the most entertaining sport I’ve witnessed live but for all the wrong reasons.

Crucible 1994, The Whirlwind best ever player to never win it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal