collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other live sport you've watched and was it any good ?  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Other live sport you've watched and was it any good ?
« on: March 27, 2021, 05:09:45 PM »
Apart from the game of Association Football, any sport you have watched live at a professional/semi pro/elite level which has paying spectators.

Any of the major sports which you have never seen live ?

For me Cricket, Horse racing, Greyhounds, and years ago Speedway I would be in minimum double figures with each of these.
Cricket can be great for all sorts of reasons, horse racing at a small track on a sunny day is a good day out, nights out at Hall green were enjoyable if I hadn't always bet on trap 7, Birmingham Brummies at Perry Barr in the 70s was good fun.

One offs would be Rugby League (Huddersfield v Doncaster 1970s), Badminton (world championships at NIA in 1990s), Snooker (UK championships 1990s), Thai Boxing in Bangkok in 1980s.
The Rugby League match was weird, Badminton was interesting but a bit quick, the snooker was good and the players mixed with the spectators outside the arena, the Thai Boxing was mental.

I have never been to Rugby Union, Tennis, normal Boxing, an Athletics meeting, any American sport if I've been in the US, or the boat race (which would be non paying anyway).

Offline JuanMartinez

Re: Other live sport you've watched and was it any good ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 05:14:21 PM »
Cricket has to be the most life zapping game ever created.

Athletics and boxing live are extremely enjoyable, lucky enough to have seen Benn/Eubank fight close up.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 05:19:03 PM »
I've not watched as much cricket live as I should have, living in sight of Edgbaston at one point and enjoying as much as I do.
Other than that I've done a few fights, the best of which was Joe Calzaghe vs Mickel Kessler at the Millennium Stadium, although the most enjoyable was taking my old man for his 60th when Calzaghe fought Peter Manfredo, that was a nothing fight but we were about 10 rows back from the ring and watched all the undercard fights, you hear every blow and get a much better perspective from that sort of range.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 05:28:48 PM »
I've not watched as much cricket live as I should have, living in sight of Edgbaston at one point and enjoying as much as I do.
Other than that I've done a few fights, the best of which was Joe Calzaghe vs Mickel Kessler at the Millennium Stadium, although the most enjoyable was taking my old man for his 60th when Calzaghe fought Peter Manfredo, that was a nothing fight but we were about 10 rows back from the ring and watched all the undercard fights, you hear every blow and get a much better perspective from that sort of range.

I'm jealous. Calzaghe v Kessler was an excellent fight.

I love cricket and I've seen loads of it - more than I have of football.

Been to the Crucible twice and that was very enjoyable. I was given a free ticket the first time and I wasn't convinced it was going to be that much of a spectacle, live, but if you enjoy the sport it really adds to your appreciation of the tactical and positional side of the game.

Having said that, one of the matches I saw involved Paul Hunter when his illness was quite advanced, and it turned out to be the last time he played at the Crucible. He was visibly underweight and fatigued and kept having to lean on the other table, which wasn't in play at the time. Very sad.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 05:43:56 PM »
Loads of cricket all over the world. 29 test grounds and counting. Also a pretty good hat trick of T20 World Cup final 2010 Women’s 50over World Cup final 2017 and Men’s 50over World Cup final 2019.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 05:47:28 PM »
Rugby, grass roots to internationals at home and abroad.
Cricket at county level.
Henley Regatta although I didn’t pay and I can honestly say I never saw any ships just the inside of a bar all day.
Judo at the Olympics.
Baseball at Wrigley Field and Fenway Park, yawn fests but entertaining to people watch.
American Football at Soldier Field & New Jersey, froze my balls off at both.
Ice Hockey in DC & New York, that was ace.
Track cycling, ace.
Road cycling in Belgium and France, free and ace.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 05:49:52 PM »
Because of a mis spent youth at cradley heath dogs I have always loved greyhound racing

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 05:52:21 PM »
Ice hockey in Vancouver. Loved it. Some great punch-ups too.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2021, 06:09:43 PM »
Cricket, lots of times and I love it very much.
Rugby League is a good laugh.
Ice hockey in Prague was lots of fun and I would go again.
Cheltenham festival but found the whole thing a bit meh.

I've had some good nights at the greyhounds in Perry Barr.  My first night I walked away around £80 up.  I thought I'd been very clever by studying the program and only picking dogs that had finished well in their last race.  Then a friend pointed out that the stat I was using was which trap they had started in.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 06:21:24 PM »
Gaelic football : Too numerous to mention but being on the Roscommon team coach for the All-Ireland final as a 10 year old was a highlight.
Hurling : Croke Park (All-Ireland quarter or semi-final), highly recommended to see live.
Rugby Union : Lansdowne Road for Barbarians v Australia and Ireland denying England the Grand Slam after the 'foot and mouth' delay. Very enjoyable! ;)
Cricket : The old Sabina Park about 6 times. More a rum and Red Stripe drinking marathon than a sporting spectacle.
NFL : Oakland Raiders home game (vs Broncos). Like a Hells Angels convention.
Baseball : Yankee Stadium a couple of times and Florida Marlins at Joe Robbie Stadium. Better on TV.
Golf : K Club about 20 years ago, might have been the European Open. Not recommended, much better on TV.
Cycling : Giro D'Italia. Was flying into Pisa for a wedding and it happened to be going through that day. Meh, blink and you miss it.
Squash : Caribbean tournament. Quite a good watch.
Association Football : Was a stretcher bearer for a World Cup qualifier which was a bit different.
Horse racing : Never been despite there being a racecourse approx. 10 miles away.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 06:21:47 PM »
Loads of Cricket and Rugby Union (In truth I think I've spent more time watching both of them than I have football), lots of athletics when I was younger and to add a bit of quirk I've also been to a nordic skiing event and short track speed skating.

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 10:41:39 PM »
I've seen quite a lot of live athletics and was at the basketball BBL Cup final one year. I watched quite a bit of rugby union a few years ago and some Davis Cup tennis.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
I watched a reasonable amount of rugby union when I lived in Bristol in the 1980s.  I enjoyed watching Bristol, standing up at the Memorial Ground - good beer (Smiles), and lovely pasties.  I also went to a few internationals at Twickenham and Cardiff Arms Park, as my boss at work was a member of a rugby club in Wales and was able to get tickets quite easily.

For a few years I enjoyed going to the races, but not the prestige events - I've been to Bath, Chepstow, Towcester, Newmarket, Wincanton, Leicester, Southwell, Newbury.

I've been to a few test matches at Edgbaston but never really bothered going to county cricket.

Oh, and I went to the speedway at Cradley Heath a couple of times back in the 1970s.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 08:32:52 AM »
Lots of cricket, mostly international cricket here in NZ. Have seen a bit of rugby, Canterbury in the Super Rugby and The All Blacks. Seen a bit of Rugby League as well.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
Loads of cricket in all formats at Edgbaston. I’ve been to a Rugby League Challenge Cup Final at Wembley and saw Moseley a couple of times when they played at The Reddings. When I was a kid we went to motorbike scrambling a few times as my dad knew one of the riders, Ken Sedgeley. Most unusual thing I think was going to see drag racing at Santa Pod.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal