collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other live sport you've watched and was it any good ?  (Read 5395 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Other live sport you've watched and was it any good ?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2021, 02:30:58 PM »
Forgot one, went to see the WWE thing at the NEC because a friend won some tickets, would've been about 97 or 98 I think, I was never a fan and it was the biggest pile of bollocks I've ever seen live.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »
Events I would love to attend World Cup Final, Champions League Final, Euros Final, Open Golf Championship, Ashes Test match, Six Nations match at Twickers, Lions Test match, Wimbledon and Olympics Athletics final day.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2021, 03:58:14 PM »
Forgot one, went to see the WWE thing at the NEC because a friend won some tickets, would've been about 97 or 98 I think, I was never a fan and it was the biggest pile of bollocks I've ever seen live.

Also....not a sport

Online paul_e

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2021, 04:01:37 PM »

Also....not a sport

True.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2021, 05:26:04 PM »
Cricket lots of times. Best thing I saw was Lara's 501.

All of it?!

We went down on the last day, the Monday. It was my final year at university and we lived about 10 mins from Edgbaston. It was announced on the radio that something special was happening, so loads of people went down to see him twatting the Durham bowling to all corners.

Online paul_e

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2021, 06:00:13 PM »

All of it?!

We went down on the last day, the Monday. It was my final year at university and we lived about 10 mins from Edgbaston. It was announced on the radio that something special was happening, so loads of people went down to see him twatting the Durham bowling to all corners.

I saw the start of that innings, straight from school to get there just in time for the evening session, think he got his century just before the close. I should've been there for the entire 3rd day but the weather reports were terrible so we never bothered, I think it was a complete wash out.

The other time I saw him that sticks out was a sunday league game later that summer, can't remember who against but he hit 60 or 70 odd in decent win towards the end of the season when it was pretty clear to everyone that the Bears were about to win a whole bunch of trophies.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »

All of it?!

I saw the start of that innings, straight from school to get there just in time for the evening session, think he got his century just before the close. I should've been there for the entire 3rd day but the weather reports were terrible so we never bothered, I think it was a complete wash out.

The other time I saw him that sticks out was a sunday league game later that summer, can't remember who against but he hit 60 or 70 odd in decent win towards the end of the season when it was pretty clear to everyone that the Bears were about to win a whole bunch of trophies.

Yep, they almost did the 4/4 clean sweep of the trophies at the time, but the toss was all important in the Natwest final which they lost and subsequently lost the match.  My mate had got a tenner on them to win all four at the start of the season at something like a combined 8,000-1 so was a bit gutted to say the least.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2021, 11:18:07 PM »
Basketball - Knicks vs Spurs at Madison Square Garden, Globetrotters at NEC, BBL final at Wembley Arena when Worcester won (happy coincidence as had tickets months in advance)

Badminton - tournament at NIA, sat in middle of the Malaysian & Indonesian fans when the big name in the sport (subsequently banned I believe) was playing - proper obsession around us.

Athletics - NIA indoors years ago, sure one of the long distance WR was achieved.

Snooker - Champion of Champions at Cov, watched Ronnie win and score a couple of centuries

Darts - Premier League at NIA, dullest sporting event ever attended, like a piss poor Wetherspoons without Wetherspoons prices and plastic glasses

Tennis - day at Wimbledon, rained most of day, saw Steffi Graf warming up on outside court & she yelled at my mate for taking a photo at wrong time :-)

Golf - several days at Belfry / Forest of Arden when various tournaments were on

NFL - Jacksonville vs someone else, can’t remember who at Wembley...ok, spend more time listening to the announcer telling what goes on than anything actually happening....did seem to be full of little boys trying their first weak as pee lager acting all OTT

Rugby - sixways several times, even saw Worcester win once or twice!  Leeds as they were known then be Newcastle at Headingley

Cricket - plenty of days at New Road & the odd Bears v Pears at Edgbaston

Cycling - by side of road when either milk race or old tour of Britain whizzed through Bromsgrove...sure Raleigh Banana(?) was one of the teams

Horse Racing - Nottingham

Touring Cars - Donnington & Silverstone - prefer Donnington for viewing

Played mess about cricket for an hour or so on the beach in Chennai....nearly saw one of the 50 or so balls that were hurled my way by kids of about 15 :-)

Thinking def want to get to boxing when all open again.

Bucket list will always be Ashes test in Aus - pref Boxing Day....& Lions touring NZ or Aus for a few weeks taking in full test series
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 08:12:51 AM by Gareth »

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2021, 09:42:08 AM »
Cycling tours from the roadside, Volleyball Olympic Final, Olympic White water canoeing, Cricket at Edgbaston, one dayers and tests, Old trafford for a few T20s, numerous athletics meets at Alexander stadium, Rugby at Twickers a few times back in the 90s and didn't miss attending the Open Golf for about 10 years in the 80's/90s watching Faldo in his pomp and 3 Ryder Cups. I vaguely recall going banger racing once but for the life of me cant remember where. Been racing a few times as well Cheltenham, Chester, Haydock and Cartmel.

For atmos I'd say the Ryder Cups were the best and the Open Golf can get quite tense if its close or goes to a play off but nothing comes close to the Football for me.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2021, 12:00:34 PM »
Cycling tours from the roadside, Volleyball Olympic Final, Olympic White water canoeing, Cricket at Edgbaston, one dayers and tests, Old trafford for a few T20s, numerous athletics meets at Alexander stadium, Rugby at Twickers a few times back in the 90s and didn't miss attending the Open Golf for about 10 years in the 80's/90s watching Faldo in his pomp and 3 Ryder Cups. I vaguely recall going banger racing once but for the life of me cant remember where. Been racing a few times as well Cheltenham, Chester, Haydock and Cartmel.

For atmos I'd say the Ryder Cups were the best and the Open Golf can get quite tense if its close or goes to a play off but nothing comes close to the Football for me.

What's your favourite Open course?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2021, 01:07:15 PM »
Events I would love to attend World Cup Final, Champions League Final,

I was fortunate enough to be at the World Cup final in the Maracanã. As it's unlikely ever to be at Croke Park probably as good as it'd get for me.

Yours is a good (bucket) list but I would really like to go to a Champions League final (preferably with Villa in it :) )

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2021, 01:16:46 PM »

What's your favourite Open course?

Muirfield, plenty of space and good for spectators. Not keen on St Andrews, too small, quite liked Troon and Lytham but wasnt a huge fan of Birkdale or Turnberry either.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 06:27:08 PM »
Cricket: highlights being Fred Trueman's 7-for against the West Indies and due to the back foot no-ball rule that magnificent rooster-tail Fred left as he dragged his foot, Alan Donald bowling against Kent at Tunbridge Wells (I honestly say I never saw the ball after it left his hand).

Ice Hockey: the only sport in the US that came near to watching football back home, especially when play broke out between the fights. Detroit, New York Rangers. Great fun, and leaving Cobo Hall with thousands of other spectators herded through a tunnelled exit going "Mooo" instead of fighting.

Baseball: Phillies vs Houston. Even I knew I was watching an all-time great in Nolan Ryan, but the atmosphere was bizarrely placid. Constant ferrying of sodas and food amongst the crowd being the highlight (I don't remember the score).

American Football: Philly Eagles vs St. Louis Rams. My goodness it was slow going, but seeing it live brought home how f*cking huge the majority of the players are. Also it might have been the first start for Randall Cunningham, a rare sight - a black quarterback! The consensus at work was that, despite being a good athlete, he'd never make the grade because black people didn't have the brains to make the tactical decisions. Sigh.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »
Oh, and Basketball: watching Celtics, Knicks, Pistons, Nets, 76ers...great athleticism in a game the scoring is more or less pointless until the end. Yawn. At least I saw Erving, Ewing, Thomas and Bird play, but the big thing I don't get is why I managed to go to so many games of a sport I cordially dislike?

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2021, 09:16:44 PM »
{alt}
Speedway at Perry Barr and Motor Bike Scrambling with my Dad when I was a kid.

Rugby Union, Streatham & Croydon at Thornton Heath when I think they were in the second division.  Free to get in and better than watching Palace. Also one international at Twickenham.  Against Wales when Ringer got sent off.

Horse racing at Epsom including the Derby, great atmosphere and at Lingfield, Goodwood, and Sandown.  Only flat racing.

Baseball, Sox v Yankees at the London Stadium.  Loved it.

Cycling, finish of the Tour de France in London when Marcel Kittel won. The start of the Tour of Britain in Reigate.  All the big names could not have been more approachable.

Cricket at Edgbaston, including the West Indies with Hall and Griffiths.  Later the Windies at The Oval when Michael Holding was lightning quick.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal