collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 531266 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #1140 on: August 10, 2022, 09:47:28 AM »
I seem to remember someone on here (sorry can't remember who) said that the main reason the buses stopped was because Sky change the dates and times so often and with such short notice nowadays.  It became impossible to plan overtime etc.
Are there enough spare buses these days to have them hanging around for a few hours on Saturday afternoon?
Both these points are very valid. Yes more or less all matches kicked off at 3 on a Saturday.  For general transport Saturdays had a limited bust service than weekdays so busses were available. Any Bus company will find it difficult to deal with current football schedule.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #1141 on: August 10, 2022, 10:13:37 AM »
I just don't understand as to why they don't recommence special buses back to town.  Worked really well in the 70's.
If you read the posts above your it will give you a clue.  Not enough buses, not financially viable.  It's just not an atractive solution for a commercial operator.

In which case, the challenge for the club, the authorities and the operators is to work out a way to make it an attractive (or viable) solution because, as they say, doing nothing is not really an option.
There's no way of making it commercially viable.  It will need to be subsidised.

So the issue would be, by how much and for how long, and who would be the provider? As part of any planning permission for the new stand there will be a section 106 agreement with obligations on the club to do all sorts of things and make all sorts of payments. Transport will be to the fore, I would imagine. It would be interesting to know just how many home supporters currently rely on public transport to get them back into the city centre after a game, and how many would use such provision were it available by improved means, hence how much it would all cost, and how much it might help ease the current situation.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1142 on: August 10, 2022, 10:22:50 AM »
To change the subject slightly and moving into Bedrock territory, it's interesting that Villa are still selling hospitality packages for Everton and West Ham when they were sold out months in advance last season.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1143 on: August 10, 2022, 10:31:46 AM »
To change the subject slightly and moving into Bedrock territory, it's interesting that Villa are still selling hospitality packages for Everton and West Ham when they were sold out months in advance last season.

I had to think hard for a while about that before it registered.

Maybe the early kick off is less appealing to those corporate event type people.   

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1144 on: August 10, 2022, 10:37:31 AM »

Not sure I’d do hospitality for a 12.30 kick off, the 3 hour bar before a 3pm is good, not sure it would be open at 9.30 :-)

What type of prices is hospitality nowadays?

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1145 on: August 10, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »

Maybe the early kick off is less appealing to those corporate event type people.   

They may have been sold as the fixtures were announced and then had cancellations when the ko time changed perhaps and they are looking to resell?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1146 on: August 10, 2022, 12:14:44 PM »

Not sure I’d do hospitality for a 12.30 kick off, the 3 hour bar before a 3pm is good, not sure it would be open at 9.30 :-)

What type of prices is hospitality nowadays?

Most sports venues won't be able to serve alcohol before 10am.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1147 on: August 10, 2022, 12:34:38 PM »

They may have been sold as the fixtures were announced and then had cancellations when the ko time changed perhaps and they are looking to resell?

I don't think you can resell corporates.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1148 on: August 10, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »

A firm we do business with has a box in the Trinity and they've asked if I fancy it this weekend as they can't get customers to wine and dine interested for the early kick off.

I've declined mind.

Offline Concrete Tom

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #1149 on: August 10, 2022, 05:59:49 PM »
Are there enough spare buses these days to have them hanging around for a few hours on Saturday afternoon?

I read somewhere (actually, it might have been a previous page on this thread but I can't be arsed to look now I've stopped typing) that they had to bring in buses from all over the country to run these shuttles, so no, I suspect there wouldn't be.

I was in Cornwall yesterday and, as I sat in a traffic jam returning North, a fleet of 40/50 buses in Cornish livery came past the other way with Birmingham 2022 in the destination sign.

I grew up in Cornwall. It's nice to know that Cornish buses are being used for something, as it certainly isn't the wide ranging and reliable, regular service so desperately needed within Cornwall itself!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 07:26:29 PM by Concrete Tom »

Offline Gerrin

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1151 on: August 25, 2022, 08:27:25 AM »

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #1152 on: August 25, 2022, 08:35:42 AM »

When you buy a hospitality package you commit to it regardless of kick off changes. You need to be ready for the game you’ve booked to take place any time from Friday to Monday.
Last year we had one booked at the time when fixtures were being postponed indefinitely because of covid infections. A many teams had one or two fixtures put off til nearer the end of the season around that time. I asked whether the rule about committing regardless of changes would apply and they ‘weren’t sure’.
There definitely won’t be cancellations - it’s not possible.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1153 on: August 25, 2022, 08:38:49 AM »
Looks like a portion of the Witton is going where a bit of the aways are now. I'd prefer that space in the upper tier to he filled with maybe a perspex to trap noise.

I also hope the away fans are still going to reside where they do, as they'll be drowned out by that large lower tier. Looks good!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 08:45:03 AM by Ads »

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1154 on: August 25, 2022, 08:52:38 AM »
The Villa live bit is interesting. Looks like the back bit that was left blank on the earlier images is going to be a carpark still, and there are two things behind the Villa live building that I can't quite make out what they are.

I like the market street bit, that would be good. Can't see many people buying a delicate orchid and sitting with it through a match though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal