collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528840 times)

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #990 on: July 02, 2022, 06:51:40 AM »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #991 on: July 02, 2022, 07:01:12 AM »
Perfect.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #992 on: July 02, 2022, 08:16:14 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted?

https://www.gensler.com/projects/milwaukee-bucks-entertainment-district

That looks alright to me!

Been there. It’s fantastic. The idea for ours will have American/Wes sports influence. The intent will be very much to make this a venue to be used all the time.
It's a grand idea.  The cynic in me thinks they'll really struggle to make it work in this location outside of big event days.  There's just not enough complimentary venues / uses in the vicinity and dragging people out of the City Centre will be a major challenge.  Star City (although a different concept) feels like a big flop and that has better access and parking.

Box Park at Croydon and Shoreditch are both centrally located to the local centres, with loads of other shops and leisure venues right next to them.

Maybe our owners are not looking at the here and now and how popular Aston, Witton etc are for a drink and a night out. If they wanted a sure thing, they could have purchased a London club at a vastly inflated fee and tried to make a dent in the oversaturated hospitality market there.

Speculators usually punt on the next big thing.

One of the better nights I had watching the Villa was at the Box Park at Elephant & Castle at the start of the 2018/19 for Hull away.  Young trendy types (and us wankers) gladly paying inflated prices for food and craft beers on a Monday night. In an area with a checkered reputation to say the least.

London is a totally different market to Brum, granted. But remote working, improved rail links to the Smoke (HS2 or no) and other factors will make the region a much more attractive option by the 30s. A venue such as this for live gigs, pre/post match entertainment and other events in the second city could work. And would have a broader appeal than just Villa fans.

Brummie pessimism is great, wouldn't change it for the world. But NSWE probably already know all about the potential pitfalls. They've weighed it up and still think it's worth a lash.
Yeah, I agree.

If the plan is to make Villa Park an attractive place to visit 365 days a year, which I'd assume is a big part of it, then they're going to need food & drink options already in place - and the options around Villa Park aren't that great at the moment.

I'd imagine you'd start with the easy wins. Obvious one to me is screen Villa away games where possible. Shove on a Q&A type thing with a former player afterwards, offer some decent entertainments beforehand (museum, kids activities, ..) and job's a good 'un. You add in £5 or whatever entry, plus food & drink takings, ... just seems a really simple, obvious move. Do the same for England games (maybe Scotland/Wales/Ireland/..) and you're looking at getting once or twice a week usage out of it from August through to the end of June/start of July.

Not going to rock any boats, but increase the number of events on top of those at Villa Park & you'd be looking at a decent revenue stream coming in.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #993 on: July 02, 2022, 12:15:50 PM »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #994 on: July 02, 2022, 01:13:38 PM »
Witton Station to be rebuilt apparently, as part of a £30m improvement plan.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/politics/2022/07/02/villa-park-expansion-plan-to-see-30m-train-station-redevelopment/

Good stuff, a big part of what the WMCA is supposed to be all about, unlocking investment by improving infrastructure.

Offline langleylions

« Reply #995 on: July 02, 2022, 02:47:00 PM »
why is nothing being said about aston station wich surely is more in need to get people back to new street & town

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #996 on: July 02, 2022, 02:56:36 PM »
Witton Station is closer to the ground, you couldn't feasibly have a walkway from Aston Station to Villa Park. Aston Station is more used by Villa fans but only because Witton trains are less frequent. If you could leave the ground and be on a train from Witton to town within a few minutes it would be a massive reduction on the strain for Aston Station, too. Hopefully Witton gets renamed Villa Park Station.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #997 on: July 02, 2022, 02:59:00 PM »
Witton Station is closer to the ground, you couldn't feasibly have a walkway from Aston Station to Villa Park. Aston Station is more used by Villa fans but only because Witton trains are less frequent. If you could leave the ground and be on a train from Witton to town within a few minutes it would be a massive reduction on the strain for Aston Station, too. Hopefully Witton gets renamed Villa Park Station.

If we stumping up for the rebuild it's the least they can do.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #998 on: July 02, 2022, 03:03:49 PM »
It would seem a bit harsh if we are. Other clubs, like Hull, Tottenham, West Ham, Man City, get entire stadiums built for them. We get sod all help AND have to pay towards the new train station?

Still, it isn't my money. Give us a monorail to town and pay to bring King Kong back to the Bull Ring while you're at it, please. And put the dinosaur that roars when you press a button back in the museum.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #999 on: July 02, 2022, 03:05:34 PM »
why is nothing being said about aston station wich surely is more in need to get people back to new street & town

Because Aston station is upon an embankment I’d imagine it will be very difficult to develop the station in any meaningful way.

Offline langleylions

« Reply #1000 on: July 02, 2022, 03:49:51 PM »
i never said you could have a walkway to aston did i ? , my point being aston is just as much a nightmare after the game as witton if not more with some ques stretching half a mile down lichfield rd ,, dont necessarily mean building a new station just putting on more trains and bigger ones for end of match

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1001 on: July 02, 2022, 03:52:35 PM »
Sure. But if you're going to spend a fortune developing a station with the main intention of improving access to and from a venue, it makes more sense to spend said money on one nearer the venue. Aston Station will clearly be much less of a nightmare if 20,000 people travel to and from Witton each day. The article mentions the walkway to Witton, that's what I was referencing.

Offline langleylions

« Reply #1002 on: July 02, 2022, 03:53:35 PM »
fair point

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1003 on: July 02, 2022, 04:43:12 PM »
Can we not have a cable car to Aston Station from the top of the Holte End? If NSWE are serious about making B6 a 24/7/365 destination then they need something to attract the cable car crowd. And it'd ease congestion somehow.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #1004 on: July 02, 2022, 04:46:43 PM »
Cable car from the North Stand for the old 'uns. Zip line from the Holte for the Yoof.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal