collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528832 times)

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #945 on: June 29, 2022, 12:24:54 PM »
I don't think it's a case of worrying what they think, the original point was that the name isn't fantastic and certainly not inviting to non-Villa fans. Pointing out the anagram was just a bonus reason that I now deeply regret.  :-X I've let you all down and feel a tremendous sense of shame.

I used to love the restaurant they had as part of their youth training scheme and ate there several times on non-match days as it was excellent. But when at work we were looking for somewhere to have a good meal and I suggested it, people wouldn't go because it was Aston Villa. In fact, one non-football supporter wouldn't go because her husband supports West Brom and it would apparently have been some sort of betrayal...

Football is very tribal and petty and if we want to maximise usage and revenue, and make it financially viable for whatever franchisees we expect to occupy it, we have to attract non-Villa fans.

Online FatSam

« Reply #946 on: June 29, 2022, 12:34:37 PM »
On that theme, maybe the Lion's Den?

However, I'm more keen for all the naming to reinforce the sense of place. We could move to an out-of-town identikit stadium and have a North stand, or Aston Live. What we can't recreate anywhere else is all of the history of this specific location. I think the stand should be the Witton End, as this is probably how it came to be known gradually, by the community of people who frequented it, rather than being named by an individual. If it has to be sponsored, which is the reality of modern football, then the [insert sponsor name] Witton End or similar would work for me.

The history of the site, from Aston Lower Grounds, the clock tower, the aquarium, the bowling green, the velodrome etc. is what makes it unique. Unfortunately the physical evidence has been completely obliterated, but the memory could be present in the way new facilities are named (and designed).

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #947 on: June 29, 2022, 12:37:04 PM »
I don't think it's a case of worrying what they think, the original point was that the name isn't fantastic and certainly not inviting to non-Villa fans.
Are non-Villa fans going to make the link between "The Saunders Suite" (for example) and "Somewhere I can get a beer and hang around for an hour or so?", though?

I think the name's fine.  There's a lot to be said for "it does what it says on the tin" type branding when it comes to things that people might not automatically associate with the club - e.g. obviously a football club has some kind of pitch to play on, but it's not obvious that there's (say) somewhere you can go for football-based entertainment on a non-matchday.  It needs to be made really obvious IMO

Not sure if this has been posted?

https://www.gensler.com/projects/milwaukee-bucks-entertainment-district

That looks alright to me!
Looks pretty decent.  Can see it working very, very well in terms of making Villa Park somewhere you'd visit 7 days a week (Rather than once a fortnight for part of the year).

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #948 on: June 29, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »
Couple of musings about Villa Live...

Will it be a big enough attraction to drag people to what is a scruffy/unloved part of Birmingham?

With football rivalries being what they are, will it exclude a big proportion of the population who wouldn't want to visit the home of another club on a non-matchday.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #949 on: June 29, 2022, 01:15:32 PM »
https://www.theavfcfaithful.co.uk/post/paying-the-price-for-success?s=08

An excellent summary and analysis of where we stand in terms of growing our income and how it might affect fans - current and future, positively and negatively.

Offline Concrete Tom

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #950 on: June 29, 2022, 01:24:34 PM »
I was interested to read that Aston station is utilised more than Witton station on match days:

"More fans currently use Aston Station (65%) compared to Witton Station (35%), so we will be looking at how to better manage usage, queuing, and access to train services"

Can anyone local shed any light on why this might be the case? Is it just access to the Cross City Line?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #951 on: June 29, 2022, 01:25:59 PM »

Will it be a big enough attraction to drag people to what is a scruffy/unloved part of Birmingham?

With football rivalries being what they are, will it exclude a big proportion of the population who wouldn't want to visit the home of another club on a non-matchday.

It's low down the list of priorities but I can't see many people not wanting to see a band because of where the gig is.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #952 on: June 29, 2022, 01:26:57 PM »
This figure of the average season ticket going up by 44%... has anyone seen any data about how that's calculated? Mine went up about 10%, were there really that many people paying around the £300 mark for a season ticket that their increases have brought the entire average up?

I doubt very much that the price increases are paying for the redevelopment.  My understanding is that ground and infrastructure improvements are not part of the FFP calculation, whereas gate receipts and merchandise are. As FFP is a big limiting factor on improving the playing squad, we'd be stupid to use it building a new stand. I'd be surprised if it isn't funded by the owners as it is a capital investment that directly increases the value of the club and their shares in it.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #953 on: June 29, 2022, 01:28:29 PM »
https://www.theavfcfaithful.co.uk/post/paying-the-price-for-success?s=08

An excellent summary and analysis of where we stand in terms of growing our income and how it might affect fans - current and future, positively and negatively.
The average season ticket at Villa Park has seen an increase of about 44% - well surely that's wrong?  With most going up 10% surely the average must be less than 20%?

And we're hardly charging 'elite club' prices with our cheapest ST price being smack in the middle and below Wolves, Brighton and Bournemouth.

But yeah, our training gear is expensive so Villa clearly don't give a fuck about 'legacy fans'

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #954 on: June 29, 2022, 01:31:44 PM »

It's low down the list of priorities but I can't see many people not wanting to see a band because of where the gig is.

Maybe not bands - but beers/food etc. Not saying it can't be done, but you need a compelling offer to get customers to go a long way off the beaten track. It didn't work with the Holte, but the scale of what is proposed here is much bigger. Star City would be a similar example - operates at nowhere near the capacity it was built for, another would be Broadway Plaza.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #955 on: June 29, 2022, 01:35:23 PM »
I was interested to read that Aston station is utilised more than Witton station on match days:

"More fans currently use Aston Station (65%) compared to Witton Station (35%), so we will be looking at how to better manage usage, queuing, and access to train services"

Can anyone local shed any light on why this might be the case? Is it just access to the Cross City Line?
I've little doubt about that in my mind. Witton out of town heads Black Country way, whereas Aston serves what one might consider the North Birmingham Villa Corridor.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #956 on: June 29, 2022, 01:56:28 PM »
Venue 1874
1874 ........
and can we have a micro brewery please :)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #957 on: June 29, 2022, 02:07:45 PM »
I've no problem with the name Villa Live tbh.  It's not a massive own goal at all, who gives a fuck what Blues fans may call it?

yep I am pretty sure they have fires to put out back home

Ah, they're improving the Sty then?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #958 on: June 29, 2022, 02:40:18 PM »
I've no problem with the name Villa Live tbh.  It's not a massive own goal at all, who gives a fuck what Blues fans may call it?
The fact that Live would be changed into vile by them is just an aside really. My original point was that I just don't like the moniker Villa Live because I think it's just a really naff name for a venue. However I have re-read Purslows statement and he actually says that Villa Live is a codename for the project so it may not end up being called that name after all! As someone pointed out earlier they will probably be looking for a sponsor anyway so it could end up being called something like The Adidas Arena. Now that would float my boat.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #959 on: June 29, 2022, 02:41:37 PM »
Venue 1874
1874 ........
and can we have a micro brewery please :)
Now your talking brother

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal