collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528834 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #825 on: June 28, 2022, 09:42:11 AM »
My biggest wish from this redevelopment is that someone cleans or replaces the panel top left of the Holte End stand roof as you look at it from the pitch.  It stands out like a rotten tooth.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #826 on: June 28, 2022, 09:44:29 AM »
The filling in of corners…wasn’t this an issue in the past regarding pitch aeration? They may have overcome this with the design or it’s less of an issue now given the type of surface we now use.
Filling in of corners is no longer an issue with regards to the condition of the playing surface. There's plenty of bowl shaped stadiums in the country nowadays and the pitches are superb.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #827 on: June 28, 2022, 09:53:42 AM »
I like the Box Park idea for matchdays, but I honestly think it will be an uphill struggle to get custom there at other times outside of major events.  I can't see it becoming a regular venue and that is what they need if they want permanent commercial food operators renting space like the actual Box Parks.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #828 on: June 28, 2022, 09:53:59 AM »
My biggest wish from this redevelopment is that someone cleans or replaces the panel top left of the Holte End stand roof as you look at it from the pitch.  It stands out like a rotten tooth.

Hasn't it always been like that due to the same right to light issue that affects the height of the Witton Lane stand.  It's something that has always bugged me too - if that panel has to be transparent then why not just the whole beam, rather than cladding it up to that one point?

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #829 on: June 28, 2022, 09:55:00 AM »
Early days obviously, but although there is reference to transport issues in the consultation, there isn't much in what's been published to give clear indication as to how they may be resolved, and in particular the connectivity between VP and the city centre after a game.

Offline nigel

« Reply #830 on: June 28, 2022, 10:12:55 AM »
How about a huge screen, 2 or 3 times bigger than what we’ve already got, and open up an end for all our away games?.
I don’t know what figures you’d need for it to be worthwhile, but I’m pretty sure that it would be well attended

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #831 on: June 28, 2022, 10:17:53 AM »
How about a huge screen, 2 or 3 times bigger than what we’ve already got, and open up an end for all our away games?.
I don’t know what figures you’d need for it to be worthwhile, but I’m pretty sure that it would be well attended

Not sure they'd be allowed to screen 3pm games.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #832 on: June 28, 2022, 10:21:08 AM »
The existing Trinity was built with the option for it to wrap around the corner, but I'm sure in the 20+ years it's been there building tech has changed.

Forward planning by Doug?  That must be a first.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #833 on: June 28, 2022, 10:22:03 AM »
There are lots of questions around "what do think of the new designs" without giving much detail away.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #834 on: June 28, 2022, 10:24:44 AM »
Anyone else getting Ellis vibes off Purslow? In terms of the way he speaks and his mannerisms. Reminds me of the Doug a lot.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #835 on: June 28, 2022, 10:27:59 AM »
Not at all.  With Doug everything was about him.  With Purslow, everything is about the club. 

I get he comes accross as a bit smarmy, but he also comes accross as massively competant, not something I ever felt about Ellis.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #836 on: June 28, 2022, 10:31:00 AM »

Not sure they'd be allowed to screen 3pm games.

They've put that in as a potential facility in the Villa Live bit. The consultation survey specifically asks if that would encourage you to visit on non-home match days.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #837 on: June 28, 2022, 10:40:48 AM »
Only comment I added to the survey was that this new stand, or the Witton Lane stand, needs to be named after Ron Saunders.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #838 on: June 28, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »
I wonder what he meant by filling in the corners.

He mentioned the stand is too narrow - and it is, there is considerable unused space either side of it.

Does he mean by filling the gaps: a standalone stand but much wider that what is there now, OR a stand which will physically connect with the Trinity and Witton?

If it is the latter, I can't see how connecting a three tier stand on one side with a two tiered one on the other would not look like a bit of a dogs dinner.

It'd basically look like any other existing stadium refreshed and enlargened in recent times. Like, shudder, Old Trafford.

What I hope they do is something that maintains Villa Park as special - it has somehow managed to remain that way despite the Ellis years, we need to keep it that way, otherwise a trip to Villa Park will have about as much mystique and 'feeling' about it as a trip to whatever Leicester call their stadium these days.

A box park and all that other stuff is great, too, as is the expanding the corporate offering, that's all fine, but it has to be done in such a way that Villa Park remains different.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #839 on: June 28, 2022, 10:44:39 AM »
Only comment I added to the survey was that this new stand, or the Witton Lane stand, needs to be named after Ron Saunders.

I think we need a stunning statue of the great man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal