collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528548 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #390 on: May 12, 2021, 05:37:21 PM »
Would using 20m or so of the park be that much of a disaster?  I know there's a number of trees etc, but in the context of the size of the park, the history of Aston Villa etc and the role the club plays in the community and could play in upgrading the area, would that be too much to ask?

The park is now less than one-ninth of it's original size. We can't continue to make demands on the local community whenever we feel like it.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #391 on: May 12, 2021, 05:44:11 PM »
How feasible would it be to reconfigure the Holte into a single tier without having to bulldoze the whole lot?

Dig down rather than build up.

Like the Bernabeu and a few others, set one tier below street level.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #392 on: May 12, 2021, 05:51:09 PM »
Surely you wouldn't be able to see the pitch? I'll get a ticket for that stand when we play Burnley.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #393 on: May 12, 2021, 06:19:57 PM »
We could build over the road in the same way we did with the Trinity.
That's what I said in my post but its notoriously difficult to purchase land earmarked as a public space and even if we could the lie of the land in Aston Park would give us even more problems. It's not impossible but it's challenging.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #394 on: May 12, 2021, 06:21:45 PM »
Surely you wouldn't be able to see the pitch? I'll get a ticket for that stand when we play Burnley.
That's funny lol

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #395 on: May 12, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »
That's what I said in my post but its notoriously difficult to purchase land earmarked as a public space and even if we could the lie of the land in Aston Park would give us even more problems. It's not impossible but it's challenging.

I'm not talking about moving the road (as you said in your post). Leave the road there and put the stand on stilts over it.

It's easier said than done but isn't impossible.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #396 on: May 12, 2021, 06:51:10 PM »

I'm not talking about moving the road (as you said in your post). Leave the road there and put the stand on stilts over it.

It's easier said than done but isn't impossible.
Yeah I know what you meant but again that's a very big ask. Walk down Trinity Rd towards the Holte try to visualise the Holte being built up and over the road. I drive that way 2/3 times a week and I've tried. It would be very difficult to do in fact I'd be amazed if they attempted it. All the available land is at the other end of the ground so I'd expect any expansion of the stadium to be happening there.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #397 on: May 12, 2021, 07:01:31 PM »
I still think we should move the pitch 50 yards towards Witton.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #398 on: May 12, 2021, 07:25:05 PM »
But then we're talking a brand new stadium.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #399 on: May 12, 2021, 07:50:07 PM »

Basically, yeah. We're hamstrung by the current location, can't do much besides frippery with three sides as it is, the only room for real capacity increase is a big stand where the North sits now, and I get the sense there'd not be much love for something that might outshine The Holte.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #400 on: May 12, 2021, 08:30:41 PM »
That tapered corner is yet another feature of the ground that should be retained. It's is something unusual, something different and  part of it's character.
The desire to flatten, straighten, level and square off football grounds has given us Stoke, Sunderland and Middlesbrough, and we have lost the Vetch, The Dell and the glorious hump backed Kop at Hillsborough.
Oddities are good, strange shapes are interesting, grounds should not be uniform.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #401 on: May 12, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »
Well said, as ever, Nev.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #402 on: May 12, 2021, 09:03:08 PM »

Basically, yeah. We're hamstrung by the current location, can't do much besides frippery with three sides as it is, the only room for real capacity increase is a big stand where the North sits now, and I get the sense there'd not be much love for something that might outshine The Holte.

Leaving the Trinity and Holte where they are and doing what we can to replace the North (without overshadowing the Holte) and improve the DE you're looking at 50-55k, shift the pitch a little and you could possible add another 5k to that but the cost would be insane, we'd need a temporary ground for a year or 2 and nothing that is there would survive.

If you're going to do that you might as well find a new location and build a 70k+ stadium from scratch on a less restricted site, either way you piss off a huge number of fans so why not go for the one with the bigger commercial impact? If you're destroying everything anyway you don't do it for a marginal gain.

I don't think they have any intention of that though, I suspect a new North Stand, improvements to the DE and internal refits for the other 2 are as far as they'd go.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #403 on: May 13, 2021, 05:10:23 AM »

Brilliant CD, a real lol moment.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #404 on: May 13, 2021, 07:13:23 AM »
That tapered corner is yet another feature of the ground that should be retained. It's is something unusual, something different and  part of it's character.
The desire to flatten, straighten, level and square off football grounds has given us Stoke, Sunderland and Middlesbrough, and we have lost the Vetch, The Dell and the glorious hump backed Kop at Hillsborough.
Oddities are good, strange shapes are interesting, grounds should not be uniform.

Absolutely this for me too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal