collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528763 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2021, 12:34:35 AM »
When people think of how good Villa Park is they basically mean the Holte End. Nobody but us cares about having four distinct stands. Fill in the corners between the Trinity Road/North Stand/Witton Lane and leave the Holte End free standing. We need to increase capacity and we play in a highly urbanised area. You can't do that without filling in those corners.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2021, 01:12:13 AM »
When people think of how good Villa Park is they basically mean the Holte End. Nobody but us cares about having four distinct stands. Fill in the corners between the Trinity Road/North Stand/Witton Lane and leave the Holte End free standing. We need to increase capacity and we play in a highly urbanised area. You can't do that without filling in those corners.

In my opinion, we have half of a great stadium. (Obviously to me, it's all great anyway.)

From within the ground, the Holte and Trinity are fantastic. I think if we could turn the North and the Witton into one cornered stand, that would be grand.

Restore a bit of history to the Trinity external, and include a club musem. Put a good proportion of the TV and corporate facilities in a conjoined North & Witton, facing the spectacle and beauty of the Holte & Trinity, and we'd have an iconic, modern ground with a 55k capacity (which is perfect in my opinion - big enough, but limited opportunities for tourists).

Obviously the Witton is short of space, but if we built a joint stand with the corner, I think we could get away without it being much bigger. Combine the joint stand with a visitor centre underneath the corner, preferably with a direct link from Witton station, and with a club shop/leisure complex in the current car park, with a bar/food hall.

In my view, it would be a nice mixture of heritage and modern facilities, but with the view for visitors always being the heart of the club - the Holte and Trinity (including club museum).

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2021, 07:40:09 AM »
I’ve always used Everton and Spurs as a guide when comparing us in terms of fan base, history and ambition etc. Spurs have obviously stepped up with their stadium, and now Everton will also be moving up to a new 60k capacity.  I’d like to think that the owners fully recognise that we are at the stage now where we have to show our intent to compete on a bigger stage, and provide the room for that growth.

By replacing the North Stand, we can achieve 50-55k capacity, which is absolutely fine, however there is also much to do in the other three stands, and dare I say it immediate vicinity of the ground, to make the whole visitor experience a lot better than it already is. I think the next year or two are critical to this.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2021, 12:23:13 PM »
There has been talk of a new North Stand for the guts of 20 years and it hasn't happened. It's a bit of a symbol of us in the new millennium. It's time to push forward and do it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #289 on: March 27, 2021, 12:45:27 PM »
Nobody will make any commitment before there is a guarantee that full crowds will be back on a permanent basis.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2021, 01:01:52 PM »
Everton are going full steam ahead with a big new stadium. Man City are installing rail seats in anticipation of safe standing coming in.

Let's get it started while there's no fans to get in the way of making it more difficult.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2021, 01:07:56 PM »
Everton made a commitment prior to Covid and Man City's change won't affect capacity. We could have years of extra lockdowns in a worst case scenario where variants escape vaccines. They won't spend tens of millions for extra empty seats.

Even if things are back to normal we don't know how the pandemic will affect behaviour. People might be more inclined to go to games after over a year locked up, or they may be more nervous about spending time in crowds. What is almost certain is that numbers of fans from abroad, whether tourists or returning Brummies, will be down for many years.

I think the Board will wait until we've had at least a season of full or near full houses before announcing any great expansion plans.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:11:18 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #292 on: March 27, 2021, 01:40:53 PM »
Football clubs around the world are getting on with improving their stadiums and we shouldn't be any different. I'd like the owners to make a statement by announcing big plans for redevelopment. I would go for a continuation of the Trinity all the way round to the Witton Lane stand but not joining on to it as we currently don't have the space. That would take us past the 50k mark. The land at the back of North stand could be developed into a Box Park at Wembley type of thing which could be used as a venue for concerts etc. That's my vision.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #293 on: March 27, 2021, 02:07:49 PM »
I doubt that would get planning permission. The council hate music.

Online BC Villain

« Reply #294 on: March 27, 2021, 02:21:47 PM »
When I walk across Aston park the sight of seeing our ground is fantastic - I personally hope that we never move from Villa Park

If NSWE do look at upgrading Villa Park, could that mean we end up playing at the Alexander Stadium while they do the work?   Probably wouldn't be big enough in fairness

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #295 on: March 27, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
I think the capacity would be less than Villa Park with one of the North Stand or Witton Lane Stand out of commission, so wouldn't be any gain in playing thete now that they've scaled back plans for it to host 40,000 people.

Offline exigo

« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2021, 04:36:03 PM »

The corners used to be filled in. Here's Villa Park in 1904 and 1907. I'm all for maximising the space we've got, to make sure we stay where we are. Nothing like coming down the Aston Hall hill, or past Aston church to see the ground rising up.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #297 on: March 27, 2021, 04:43:41 PM »
As far as I know, the whole issue of allowing fans to stand again is still up in the air. We may well be waiting for this to be resolved before we start firming up any plans we have.

Online BC Villain

« Reply #298 on: March 28, 2021, 10:26:42 AM »
The North Stand needs to go and should be first to go. Put capacity aside for a minute, the facilities in there are horrific. It doesn't feel safe in the concourse. It is dark, it is cramped. It is just awful. I know it was a great stand in its day but like a lot of builds of that era it has not stood the test of time. If we are honest the late 1970s built North Stand already looked dated by the early 2000s whereas the stands built in the 1990s still look impressive.

I know the Witton Lane stand is quite mundane but it is not as urgent as the North Stand. Also, I think the Witton Lane stand looks quite OK from outside.

Apart from the graffiti on the sides.

Didn't I read somewhere that Gary Newbon of all people claimed he'd suggested that the club name that stand after Ellis?  Certainly wouldn't shock me given what a toady he was

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2021, 11:06:19 AM »
Football clubs around the world are getting on with improving their stadiums and we shouldn't be any different. I'd like the owners to make a statement by announcing big plans for redevelopment. I would go for a continuation of the Trinity all the way round to the Witton Lane stand but not joining on to it as we currently don't have the space. That would take us past the 50k mark. The land at the back of North stand could be developed into a Box Park at Wembley type of thing which could be used as a venue for concerts etc. That's my vision.
You mean an Aston Villa Leisure Centre type of venue?  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal