collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:02:42 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528405 times)

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2021, 07:54:39 AM »
If we were going to move, I'd prefer moving closer to the city centre. But I don't think it's necessary - rebuild the North Stand to have a similar capacity to the Holte End, which I think would take the capacity up to about 49000. I think that's fine for now, and still leaves a bit of scope to upgrade the Witton Lane stand.

Whenever I mention that I support Villa, at least to fans who actually go to watch their clubs, they almost always mention how much they like visiting Villa Park, and think it looks brilliant. It must have the same kind of effect on players. I also think you'd lose that completely with a wraparound stadium. I'd rather we stick with a slightly smaller ground (if you can call a 50k capacity ground 'small') but make it stand out.

I don't want a carbon copy of the Holte End facade. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it, but I'd rather we have 4 unique stands that any other club would class as their 'main' stand. Love this stand at Ibrox, for example. I'm not the world's biggest Sevco fan, but I do think their ground looks absolutely brilliant

not really a rangers supporter, but Ibrox looks fantastic. I really wish we could’ve done something like the pic above with the trinity redevelopment. They’ve even got a badge like our old old old old one in the wall. Classy (apart from the financial irregularities and scummy fans)

Yep, Rangers are the Scottish rags for me but the preservation of that stand is magnificent. Due to it's position I'm not sure the Trinity would've been as easy but I'm sure it could've been attempted. Whenever Ellis is mentioned that's all I ever think of, his legacy for me is one of unthinking vandalism.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2021, 10:23:50 AM »
I'm sure when they announced that it was being redeveloped, they promised they would keep the gable. Have I dreamt that, or were they lying bastards?

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2021, 10:45:49 AM »
I saw the Ibrox main stand on sky news and my heart sank a little bit in thought of the old trinity.  I think a new north stand with a nod to the old trinity with maybe a gable and a balcony entrance.  With regards the current trinity I wish they would cover the metal sheeting with pictures of players from yester year ?  .  Finally maybe stretch out the witton lane to over the road to allow more space . Something on the lines of 52000 , beautiful

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2021, 11:07:36 AM »
I stopped in the Ibrox Hotel when working in Glasgow in the 90s. As its name suggests, it was just down from the ground. That huge facade towering above the road was very impressive, it oozed intimidation upon the interloper. Unlike the hotel, which had to be close to being the shitholest of shitholes I've ever had the misfortune to end up in.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2021, 11:36:16 AM »
I saw the Ibrox main stand on sky news and my heart sank a little bit in thought of the old trinity.  I think a new north stand with a nod to the old trinity with maybe a gable and a balcony entrance.  With regards the current trinity I wish they would cover the metal sheeting with pictures of players from yester year ?  .  Finally maybe stretch out the witton lane to over the road to allow more space . Something on the lines of 52000 , beautiful
The Main Stand at Ibrox and the Trinity Rd were both superb emamples of Archibald Leitch design. Rangers kept their gem by expanding the original. It was a very tricky operation as they craned in the third tier over the top of the original stand and it was well worth the effort in my opinion. We could have kept ours but Ellis had a way of doing things on the cheap which really shows. Knocking the Trinity Rd stand down on the sly was an act of vandalism. The new Trinity is a great place to watch football from but the exterior looks cheap and tacky. He did redeem himself somewhat with Holte End but his corner shop mentality is stamped on the ground. When the Witton Lane stand does get rebuilt properly it should also get a new more fitting name.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 01:02:37 PM by The Edge »

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2021, 11:51:24 AM »
I'm sure when they announced that it was being redeveloped, they promised they would keep the gable. Have I dreamt that, or were they lying bastards?

Yeah I recall them saying that as well......I think the corner shopkeeper decided that would be too expensive......

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2021, 12:12:04 PM »
Does the original report suggest that any major revamp of Villa Park is likely before 2030 or if it will just be cosmetic? If so, that's a bit disappointing. The dated parts of the ground are just going to get worse. By 2030, I can see a fair chunk of Villa fans in favour of a move away from VP - "Look at Everton. Goodison was showing its age and their new stadium has helped keep them in the top four" etc.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:14:30 PM by eamonn »

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »
The owners must have a grand vision of where they want to go with it and worked backwards to produce a roadmap of sorts. Would be fantastic if we could modernise while incorporating some of the ground's heritage that has been lost over the years.
i was thinking it would be great to get input from supporters on potential designs etc. but if the diversity of views expressed just in this site are anything to go by we’d never agree on anything and nothing would get done. That’s not a criticism by the way, just an observation. I like the plans we had that got stymied by WWII, where it looked like there were going to be Holte Ends on 3 sides of the ground and a capacity of around 110-120,000. Imagine being inside that with a decent Villa side - and trying to find somewhere to park!

Would be great when it was full. Not so much when it's 50% full. Need to walk before we can run.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2021, 01:41:20 PM »
We should have stadium of at least 50k capacity just to keep up with every other similar size club. We don’t want to be left behind.
I think we’d definitely fill it as well.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2021, 01:53:12 PM »
I'd like at least 51,000 just so we have over 50,000 regularly. My obsessive side wouldn't like lots of crowds of 49,9xx.

51,000 doesn't seem recklessly ambitious to me. While we have a 40,000 capacity stadium down the road seems the ideal time to expand, or we could just do it North Stand then Witton Lane and have maybe a couple of seasons playing at a reduced capacity.

I do think they will wait until we have had at least a season of full or near full houses post-Covid before making any announcement, which seems entirely sensible.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 01:54:58 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Villan82

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2021, 02:49:50 PM »

Yeah I recall them saying that as well......I think the corner shopkeeper decided that would be too expensive......

I thought they were going to do the North Stan soon after? It feels like there has been talk of a new North Stand for the guts of 20 years?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2021, 03:11:32 PM »

The whole of that project was shrouded in supposition. The old stand was thought to be listed when it wasn't. We thought they'd said the gable would remain but they didn't.  Mark Ansell, from memory, told me that they were looking to keep some parts intact but nothing was said for definite.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2021, 08:13:26 AM »
Nothing could be historically a more appropriate epitaph to HDE than history erased, replaced by cut price mediocrity.   If it had not already been used on Margaret Thatcher the epithet that he knew the price of everything and the value of nothing fits Doug Ellis to a tee.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2021, 09:11:01 AM »
Is there any reason why the Trinity Road wasn’t listed as a building of historical interest? Are there any stands in the football league that can boast such a listing? My only recollection of any commitment to maintaining the fabric of Trinity Road stand is hazy to say the least but I am sure that Ansell did give some assurances, but as DW has said they were probably subject to interpretation. The only thing I did find was an article written by Mac in When Saturday Comes back in 2001. Whatever, it was an act of vandalism which I will never forgive HDE for.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2021, 09:22:32 AM »
I think the East Stand at Highbury was listed? The old facade had to be incorporated into the new flats that were built there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal