collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528777 times)

Offline glinch

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2021, 07:01:31 PM »
Whats the building behind the Holte End? I dont remember that

No nor me and I must have passed it loads of times, was it a bingo hall?
I'm sure it was a MECCA bingo.

I take it got knocked down in the late 80s/90s ?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »
I drive from the North West and I park nowhere near Villa Park.

I never did either when I lived up there, always parked up in the area where the Power League is now so you could jump back on the M6 quickly.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2021, 07:17:28 PM »
The owners must have a grand vision of where they want to go with it and worked backwards to produce a roadmap of sorts. Would be fantastic if we could modernise while incorporating some of the ground's heritage that has been lost over the years.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2021, 08:20:32 PM »

I never did either when I lived up there, always parked up in the area where the Power League is now so you could jump back on the M6 quickly.

Me too, it's further to walk obviously, but it's only time you'd spend sat on your arse in the car waiting for the traffic to clear. If you're getting back on the M6, it's a good place to park.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2021, 08:24:07 PM »
Is an increase of capacity of around 8k worth it for what it would cost ?
It absolutely is. We have always had a top stadium. We currently have 2 stands which are nowhere near that standard. Penny pinching on the Witton lane stand and financial skullduggery on the North Stand are the reasons behind the current state of affairs. 2 brand spanking new state of the art stands would put Villa Park back in it's rightful place as one of England's finest stadiums.

Witton Lane was built on the cheap but the North Stand was state of the art at the time.

Although for the Witton Lane didn't they have to buy up all the houses immediately behind the stand, move the road back and create that park area?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2021, 07:06:44 AM »
Is an increase of capacity of around 8k worth it for what it would cost ?
It absolutely is. We have always had a top stadium. We currently have 2 stands which are nowhere near that standard. Penny pinching on the Witton lane stand and financial skullduggery on the North Stand are the reasons behind the current state of affairs. 2 brand spanking new state of the art stands would put Villa Park back in it's rightful place as one of England's finest stadiums.

Witton Lane was built on the cheap but the North Stand was state of the art at the time.

Although for the Witton Lane didn't they have to buy up all the houses immediately behind the stand, move the road back and create that park area?

I thought they had to buy up the houses and create the park but I don't think the road has been moved. It's still dead straight now which suggests it's never been moved.

That road is the big issue with the Witton Lane stand. To make a stand with a decent concourse area we'd need to remove the road and I can't see the city council signing that off.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2021, 07:38:21 AM »
I think the original plan was for the stand to overhang the road far more than it does. Local residents were worried that this would air pollution to linger in Witton Lane under the large structure.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2021, 07:38:59 AM »
I don't like reading about how poor our away end is for opposition fans. I want people to come to Villa Park and be blown away.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
I don't like reading about how poor our away end is for opposition fans. I want people to come to Villa Park and be blown away.

I do think shooting away fans is a little harsh Ads. Well, maybe depending on who it is.

Offline Ads

« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2021, 07:47:47 AM »
Haha! Serves them right for complaining. Aston Villa: firm, but fair.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2021, 08:22:50 AM »
Whats the building behind the Holte End? I dont remember that

No nor me and I must have passed it loads of times, was it a bingo hall?
I'm sure it was a MECCA bingo.

It was then Ellis bought it and it became a supporters club for a while serving dreadful mild in plastic glasses. There was at least one players presentation night held there, certainly after we lost the first Premier League title to Newton Heath. Paul McGrath sat with the supporters all night, accompanied by Yorke.
I remember a sports forum with Deano and Dalian as well.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2021, 08:48:53 AM »

Me too, it's further to walk obviously, but it's only time you'd spend sat on your arse in the car waiting for the traffic to clear. If you're getting back on the M6, it's a good place to park.
Years ago when I still lived up there we used to park in the old dog track car park at Perry Barr before they built the shopping centre.  Used to amble down to the game with a bag of chips and then a brisk walk back after, past all the queuing cars!  Never stuck in traffic.  But that was then.  Now I drive and park for free at Tamebridge and get the the train in.

Offline Ads

« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »
I park the other way down towards the Albion pub, then loop round pump island onto the Express Way. If you stick to the third lane you sail past all the queuing cars and jib your way in onto the M6 North no bother.

I miss that walk.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:52:29 AM by Ads »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2021, 08:55:47 AM »
I've always thought our expansion model would be along the lines of Borussia Dortmund's. Four distinct stands still, but with corners filled in to amplify the atmosphere.

Expand the Holte out over Trinity Road. Mirror the Holte at the North Stand end. Do as much as we can to take the Witton back over the road.

Internally this looks fantasic and I'd be delighted with that type of layout.  Externally it looks as identikit as any other.

For me there's going to have to be some filling in of corners or we're just not going to have the sort of capacity to compete with other modern stadiums of our competitors.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2021, 09:13:15 AM »
I park the other way down towards the Albion pub, then loop round pump island onto the Express Way. If you stick to the third lane you sail past all the queuing cars and jib your way in onto the M6 North no bother.

I miss that walk.

You're one of THEM!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal