collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 550778 times)

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #2415 on: April 27, 2023, 09:05:45 AM »
We'll all be priced out sooner or later anyway if you're an ordinary working class fan there's no future for you at the football club

Can someone define this semi-mythical last living working class fan as opposed to the glory hunting opportunists who are taking over the stands at Villa Park.

Allez, allez, allez.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 01:17:42 PM by Border villan »

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #2416 on: April 27, 2023, 02:35:05 PM »
We'll all be priced out sooner or later anyway if you're an ordinary working class fan there's no future for you at the football club

Can someone define this semi-mythical last living working class fan as opposed to the glory hunting opportunists who are taking over the stands at Villa Park.

Allez, allez, allez.
we don't have working class supporters according to the Pesky Blinders mob

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2417 on: April 28, 2023, 10:11:49 AM »

Allez, allez, allez.

This is probably the most pedantic post anyone has made in a while, but I can't let it go (not having a go at you, BV, it's something I've seen a lot).

It isn't actually "allez" (which is French), it is "ale" (pronunciation effectively the same, meaning largely the same, different spelling when written though).

"Ale" is Neapolitan dialect for "let's go / come on", that sort of exhortation, and the song in question originated from Napoli fans, "Un Giorno All'Improvviso", with the words "ale, ale, ale".

When the club gave those flags out for Wembley with "Allez" printed on them, I almost emailed them to point this out*

* I didn't really, but it irked me.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2418 on: April 28, 2023, 10:13:24 AM »
In Purslow's interview on Sky News last night, he said we now have 33,000 people on the season ticket waiting list.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2419 on: April 28, 2023, 10:30:01 AM »
In Purslow's interview on Sky News last night, he said we now have 33,000 people on the season ticket waiting list.

It's mad, and forgive me for sounding a bit Flin5toney but I can't help thinking there's a marketing 'sleight of hand' going on here. If 33,000 season tickets became available tomorrow I wonder how many people on that list would be in a position to buy one or still interested.

It's certainly being used as a tool to justify big price increases.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2420 on: April 28, 2023, 10:31:49 AM »

It's mad, and forgive me for sounding a bit Flin5toney but I can't help thinking there's a marketing 'sleight of hand' going on here. If 33,000 season tickets became available tomorrow I wonder how many people on that list would be in a position to buy one or still interested.

Even if only a third of those would actually take a ticket if offered one, it's still a huge number and guarantees sell out crowds.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2421 on: April 28, 2023, 10:34:50 AM »
I knew I wasn't ready for a season ticket in 2021 when I went on the list with my lad, but figured it would take a while to get there. Which it has. We'd be ready now but will probably have to wait at least 2 years still. I can't be alone in that.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2422 on: April 28, 2023, 10:41:11 AM »

Even if only a third of those would actually take a ticket if offered one, it's still a huge number and guarantees sell out crowds.

I know, I get that, but I still think they're overinflating the demand to scare people into holding onto to what they have at (literally) all costs

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2423 on: April 28, 2023, 10:43:28 AM »

at the moment, that 33k is basically made up of people who have added their email address to a list. it's a glorified mailing list.

if the club asked for a deposit which was then credited against your first season ticket, i'm sure it would be far less, and it would be a truer reflection of the demand.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #2424 on: April 28, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »
Does anyone know the churn

E.g we have 29k season ticket holders and 85% renew?

Think renewing is more attractive nowadays and can sell ticket for games you can't attend

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #2425 on: April 28, 2023, 10:53:34 AM »
From recollection something like 1500 to 2000 didn’t renew last season but that was I think heresay at the time and no one knew the exact figure.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2426 on: April 28, 2023, 11:00:11 AM »

at the moment, that 33k is basically made up of people who have added their email address to a list. it's a glorified mailing list.

if the club asked for a deposit which was then credited against your first season ticket, i'm sure it would be far less, and it would be a truer reflection of the demand.

I don't think it would be a true reflection, because who'd pay a deposit for something that may not come along for 5-10 years?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2427 on: April 28, 2023, 11:10:18 AM »

I didn't think it was that many that will go up in the future if we carry on the way we are performing.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2428 on: April 28, 2023, 11:11:15 AM »

I don't think it would be a true reflection, because who'd pay a deposit for something that may not come along for 5-10 years?

I'm also not sure that would be legal.

Based on this - https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/guidance/improper-use-client-account-banking-facility/ - I'm pretty sure they can't ask for a deposit until they actually have a seat to offer.

Aside from that 33k on the list doesn't mean we could sell 33k extra this summer if we magic'd up a 90k stadium but it means there are 33k people who are interested enough to want to have the option when it becomes available. I don't think the club have sold it as anything else and I don't think they're doing it for any underhand reasons.

The price increases aren't great but the average increase isn't massively out of line with inflation, I'm sure the costs to the club of hosting matches will have increased significantly in the last year so I'm not sure they're being greedy or trying to squeeze as much as possible from the fans.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 11:21:36 AM by paul_e »

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2429 on: April 28, 2023, 11:25:32 AM »
I knew I wasn't ready for a season ticket in 2021 when I went on the list with my lad, but figured it would take a while to get there. Which it has. We'd be ready now but will probably have to wait at least 2 years still. I can't be alone in that.

I know a couple of people in exactly the same position. They’re on the list but with an expectation that it will probably be a couple of years before they are eligible.

Obviously there will be some people who, when their turn comes, might not be in a position to buy one but if you think that at some point in the future you might want one then you need to be on the list.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal