collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

MOTD by ChicagoLion
[Today at 07:34:31 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by AV84
[Today at 07:22:26 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by john2710
[Today at 06:41:12 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 06:25:57 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:29:25 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:23:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 548423 times)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #2190 on: March 24, 2023, 12:51:18 PM »
I seem to remember seeing a documentary on a rundown street in Bootle where you could  buy the house for a £1 but you had to renovate it, quite a good watch actually

That's been quite common in rundown areas of the country. It's just a nominal amount so that there's consideration, in the legal sense.

Yeah there was one in Salford done for ex veterans I think.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2191 on: March 24, 2023, 12:58:15 PM »
Chelsea had a battle a couple of years ago didn't they? I'm sure I read about people who had flats that would suddenly be in the dark because of the size of a proposed new stand.

the issue was rights to light. the club agreed to compensate most of the affected occupiers and 'buy' this from them. one property (£4m value house) held out by taking out an injunction. the local authority (hammersmith and fulham) ended up extinguishing the right through the planning acts and the property received statutory compensation.

from memory, chelsea offered them £1m, and the statutory compensation was far less.

unlike the liverpool case, where people were effectively bullied out of the properties, the chelsea case was pure dick swinging.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2192 on: March 24, 2023, 01:40:28 PM »
Just don't remember seeing it on the news or the red tops screaming about it.

"Wealthy organisation shits on those with no voice" isn't really the kind of thing the tabloids are into. "Greedy immigrant dole scum blocking Liverpool's path back to glory", now there's a headline.

"Fiends with Benefits" would be snappier.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2193 on: March 24, 2023, 01:54:45 PM »
Chelsea had a battle a couple of years ago didn't they? I'm sure I read about people who had flats that would suddenly be in the dark because of the size of a proposed new stand.

the issue was rights to light. the club agreed to compensate most of the affected occupiers and 'buy' this from them. one property (£4m value house) held out by taking out an injunction. the local authority (hammersmith and fulham) ended up extinguishing the right through the planning acts and the property received statutory compensation.

from memory, chelsea offered them £1m, and the statutory compensation was far less.

unlike the liverpool case, where people were effectively bullied out of the properties, the chelsea case was pure dick swinging.

Ah, yes thanks for that clarity!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2194 on: March 24, 2023, 01:57:43 PM »
If the club was more forward thinking we would have bought these houses whenever they came available over the last 15-20 years and let them out responsibly.  It would have been a decent investment and given us more flexibility as and when we do need the space.  That approach would have been very different to what Liverpool did.   Obviously, Shit Shoes would have had to sell them to try to save us from the abyss, but in principle I think it would have been a good idea.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2195 on: March 24, 2023, 05:03:11 PM »
It’s quite horrid living in a mid terraced house with empty houses all around you. I did or my family did that for about 10 years till I was 14 before we moved out. Empty houses are infested with almost everything including unpleasant humans who keep threatening to do you harm if you told the council. There is more or less no security and supplies to the house gas electricity and water are continuously disrupted. You can’t do normal stuff which you actually don’t realise is normal till you move out. For example we never installed an outside TV aerial because there was a worry that someone will break in and steal the TV… etc etc. So I feel for the real victims of LFC owners greed.
When I was living in Liverpool, I went to go and see a bedsit to rent on edge lane, just seeing it was pretty cheap and not really knowing the area. Was properly grim, got off the bus then walked down an entire street of tinned up houses, turned the corner and literally of the 20 or so houses before I got to the one I was going to see, 18 were empty, tinned up, looked like they'd seen fires. The houses on the other side of the street hadn't done any better for themselves. Got to the house, knocked in the door, it opened and I swear the door was solid metal and about 6 inches thick, like something you'd get in a prison. Had a look around, it was alright I suppose, not sure it's somewhere you'd choose to live though. The guy asked if I had any questions, at this point really I just wanted to get back home, so I just asked "so ... Um ... do you get much trouble here?" Bloke just says "did you not see the street outside?" Or words to that effect.

It was mad, there's no way I'd wish someone to live in that environment and it's an absolute disgrace that Liverpool FC have not just allowed that to happen, been the main cause of it.

P.s. I tried to show my workings last night, couldn't work out how I'd done it in the first place - I was probably talking bollocks, albeit well intended.

Edge Lane was crazy. Hundreds of massive old townhouses that if they were in a posh bit of London would be worth tens of millions. Nearly all boarded up, and on probably the busiest main road through the city as it joins up with the M62. Drove that way dozens of times as it led to where we'd get the ferry to/from the IOM, and it gave a terrible impression of the city. I think the houses have nearly all been demolished now.

If I drive into work I use Edge Lane. Just the old Littlewoods site that's left derelict on there now.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2196 on: March 24, 2023, 05:05:18 PM »
P.s. I tried to show my workings last night, couldn't work out how I'd done it in the first place - I was probably talking bollocks, albeit well intended.
That’s too bad and I have reduced your grade from A* to A.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2197 on: March 24, 2023, 06:01:49 PM »
Doubt its still the same, but even in the 90s there were loads of boarded up terraced streets in liverpool.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2198 on: April 12, 2023, 01:16:01 PM »
Villa Park included in the final 10 grounds submitted for the Euro 2028 bid

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2199 on: April 12, 2023, 01:40:59 PM »

Best get the Expansion and new facilities down then.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #2200 on: April 12, 2023, 01:55:05 PM »
Well I'm glad as it keeps our profile high.

I find it strange that Hampden gets the gigs when there are three larger stadia in Scotland.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2201 on: April 12, 2023, 01:55:14 PM »
Final list of grounds:

Wembley (London)
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London)
Villa Park (B6)
Everton Stadium / Bramley-Moore Docks (Liverpool)
The Emptihad Stadium (Manchester)
St James' Park (Newcastle)
Aviva Stadium (Dublin)
Casement Park (Belfast)
Hampden Park (Glasgow)
Millennium Stadium (Cardiff)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2202 on: April 12, 2023, 02:12:36 PM »
They seem to announce these bids every few months.

Much like "Super Stadium for NEC" in the Mail back in the 80's.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #2203 on: April 12, 2023, 02:14:23 PM »
The BBC has our capacity listed as 52,190.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2204 on: April 12, 2023, 02:18:20 PM »
The BBC has our capacity listed as 52,190.

That's what it will be post new North Stand and other tweaks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal