collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Champions League restructuring  (Read 115892 times)

Offline danno

Re: Champions League restructuring
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 10:49:14 PM »
Super league talk will never go away, because whoever is pitching it to Real Madrid, Liverpool etc will always be offering them a  bigger share of TV revenues; and not having to worry about pesky things like qualifying for it through domestic competitions.

I think UEFA and FIFA should at some point just call their bluff and tell them on you go.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 10:50:22 PM »
No they shouldn't. It would mean Villa would never be able to compete at the top level ever again.

Offline danno

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 10:58:36 PM »
No they shouldn't. It would mean Villa would never be able to compete at the top level ever again.

You do know how a bluff works ?   :D

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 11:06:47 PM »
I think you're being optimistic in how much intelligence, and, more significantly, interest in anything other than money UEFA and FIFA have.

The new Super League plans will come along. UEFA and FIFA will make lots of noise about how bad it is.

Super League instigators will have talks with UEFA and FIFA to find a compromise.

They will announce that they have come to an agreement that is "in the best interests of football". This will really mean that they have agreed to give UEFA and FIFA a cut.

Super League will go ahead, there will be no relegation for the majority of the established "elite".

The last semblance of football being in any way a competitive sport will be over.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:08:39 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline danno

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 11:35:11 PM »
So money hungry UEFA and FIFA who currently have the rights to the champions league, will sit back let a new organization come in form a new league, poach its members and take a fraction of that TV cash in return?

What's to stop this company creating a new world cup whilst there at it?

Maybe I am being naive but I'd expect UEFA and FIFA to protect their assets.

I think this is exactly the same as that project rebuild/reset or whatever they called it. Empty posturing by teams who want a bigger share of TV revenues.

If for example UEFA and domestic football associations refused to acknowledge this new breakaway league. Teams like Man United would be giving up all that Premier League money! and both the Europa league and C league would be dead in the water in terms of generating money for UEFA.
How would transfers even work if FIFA decide not to play nice?

I just can't see it.

What I can see is stupid changes to the current format being made, and super league talk dying down until the next time Juventus and Real Madrid decide they aren't getting a big enough slice of the pie.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 11:38:42 AM »
Apparently a part of this mornings discussions is guaranteed places for certain clubs...no need to qualify so football is gradually disappearing up it's own arse.

Offline Brightoninpeace

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 12:57:41 PM »
 Apparently, Liverpool aren't able to travel to Germany to play their tie against Leipzig. If they're looking for an alternative then they can't beat Brighton.    :)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 01:39:34 PM »
Apparently a part of this mornings discussions is guaranteed places for certain clubs...no need to qualify so football is gradually disappearing up it's own arse.

Absolute bastards.  This new league is clearly the first step to their 'super league'  Once it's in place it's very easy to add a few more clubs and suddently a permanent league is ready to go.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 08:16:42 AM »
This now need attention and fans to lobby the league and particularly their own clubs.
The proposals will ultimately mean that we will find it almost impossible to qualify for the CL.
Of course 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' and Manure are happy to sacrifice the integrity of the game for their own narrow interests.
It is disgusting.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 09:00:00 AM »
It would help if they reduced the international fixture calendar rather than adding the UEFA Nations League to existing qualifiers and friendlies.

Excluding Champions League teams from the League cup would be better than scrapping it.

It would help if they ceased being grasping bastards and just went back to a straight knockout.

It would add prestige back to, it would ease the burden on the players and the calendar, revitalise and level up the domestic leagues by stopping the distortion in quality around a select few clubs.

There's no end of benefits to that course of action, I can't for the life of me think why it never gets considered.

This is exactly my thinking on this too.

I was reading yesterday that, from 2024, the number of Champions League matches will increase from 115 to 225. So that's 217 matches of no interest or relevance, compared to the current 107.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2021, 06:29:32 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/08/andrea-agnelli-champions-league-reforms-premier-league

Juventus president reckons they're close (2wks away) to an agreement that'll see:
- swiss system with 36 teams playing 10 group games
- pretty much forcing a reduction of 10 domestic games in the English calendar (I.e. reduce Premier League to 18 teams and remove the league cup)
- ban transfers between Champions League teams
- restructure FFP so it goes off the balance sheet rather than profit/loss

He also reckons something along the lines of allowing TV subscriptions for the last 15 minutes of a match to 'attract younger viewers'

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2021, 08:59:33 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/08/andrea-agnelli-champions-league-reforms-premier-league

Juventus president reckons they're close (2wks away) to an agreement that'll see:
- swiss system with 36 teams playing 10 group games
- pretty much forcing a reduction of 10 domestic games in the English calendar (I.e. reduce Premier League to 18 teams and remove the league cup)
- ban transfers between Champions League teams
- restructure FFP so it goes off the balance sheet rather than profit/loss
He also reckons something along the lines of allowing TV subscriptions for the last 15 minutes of a match to 'attract younger viewers'
An attack on the EPL by the less rich other leagues.
- Clubs in the EPL not included in the European competition will be disadvantaged with lower TV receipts.
- The concept of banning transfers between Champions League teams is a mixed-bag idea: it reduces the internecine nature of buying your direct competitors' best assets and also makes the Euro-clubs more predatory on their local opponents' squads. But it may force upwards the price of good players in the non-Euro teams.
- The fans get to see their club less often (because of the reduction in games) unless they follow a Euro-club.
- This is a rich-get-richer scheme, inevitably.

It's the drive for closed shops and elitism.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2021, 09:15:36 AM »
The idea of a separate Super League just won't be accepted so this is a way of introducing it as a league that runs alongside the domestic leagues, rather than replacing them. What it will do it devalue them, in the same way our own FA Cup has been devalued (with plenty of help), moving the final to a Saturday was a deliberate move in this respect.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »
I think moving the final toa Saturday was more aimed at maximising TV viewing figures. Americans and Australians aren't at work and Asians are more likely to watch live if they don't have work the next day.

The shittest part of this going to be the inevitable removal of the League Cup effectively reducing the realistic potential of silverware for many clubs by 50%.

It is a false narrative that you can't have the League Cup alongside an expanded Champions League format. They had twelve group games at the start of the twentieth century... and still played FA Cup replays up to the Quarter-Finals then.

In the nineties we also had League Cup replays and, for a while, a 22 team league. The idea that domestic football must reduce ignores the fact that it already has massively.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2021, 10:46:39 AM »
10 teams playing each other in a ''division'' is going to lead to a hell of a lot of shit games where there is nothing at stake.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal