collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: David Moyes: The one that got away?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: David Moyes: The one that got away?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 12:18:57 AM »
I never wanted Moyes as Villa boss.  Everton were decent under him but in a workmanlike way and were never going to trouble top spot, although to be fair he didn't have the funds O'Neill had.  He's done a much better job at West Ham than I expected but I still think he has a glass ceiling of about 5th or 6th place.  That may still prove better than Smith in the end but Smith is in the early part of his rise so it's hard to tell.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 12:34:25 AM »
A very limited Manager, he drove Evertonians nuts with his constant safety first negativity. He tried the same at TTOD and see how that worked out.
This West Ham team is doing what Everton did and will come up short.

Results at Everton were very good though and his stint at West Ham has turned them around (twice). Keeping West Ham in the division is the sum total of their boards ambition and he is comfortably achieving that on a limited budget.

Once the fans get back in, he will come under a bit of pressure alright "We're West Ham and we play on the floor".

Looking forward to this game.
Yes he kept them there or there abouts but no Cigar, he did not push on and pretended he did not spend money which was rubbish. The football was dull.

The football was dull at times but it was still football that got results with likes of Fellaini and Cahill benefitting from direct play. But he still had some talented footballers in those teams, likes of Pienaar, Baines, Coleman, Lescott, Arteta, Jagielka. Could mix it physically and play some decent stuff. Likes of Stones and Stones were sold on for huge money too.

He surely was working off a lower budget than MON at the same time and finishing higher? They did make the top 4 one year but couldnt get through the qualifiers I think. He also left the club in a good spot unlike MON did with us.

We had some great battles with them in that period. The Young game everyone remembers but the 3-3 at VP later that season was a brilliant game aswell. We were both best of the rest in that period.

I do think this West Ham side is closest to what he had at Everton since he left them. Solid  keeper and defence, functional midfield and tricky players in final third. Soucek with his heading ability and late runs into the box reminds me of Tim Cahill aswell.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 09:20:07 AM »
Certainly out witted Dean tonight.
This with bells on

Starting this thread the day before we played them almost guaranteed it would happen. :(

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 10:11:06 AM »
Casual mentions of meeting the subject of the thread on a French beach and separately of cooking and serving him dinner. H&V - where it's been at since 1988.

Offline danno

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
A very limited Manager, he drove Evertonians nuts with his constant safety first negativity. He tried the same at TTOD and see how that worked out.

Results at Everton were very good though and his stint at West Ham has turned them around (twice). Keeping West Ham in the division is the sum total of their boards ambition and he is comfortably achieving that on a limited budget.

Once the fans get back in, he will come under a bit of pressure alright "We're West Ham and we play on the floor".

Looking forward to this game.
Yes he kept them there or there abouts but no Cigar, he did not push on and pretended he did not spend money which was rubbish. The football was dull.

The football was dull at times but it was still football that got results with likes of Fellaini and Cahill benefitting from direct play. But he still had some talented footballers in those teams, likes of Pienaar, Baines, Coleman, Lescott, Arteta, Jagielka. Could mix it physically and play some decent stuff. Likes of Stones and Stones were sold on for huge money too.

He surely was working off a lower budget than MON at the same time and finishing higher? They did make the top 4 one year but couldnt get through the qualifiers I think. He also left the club in a good spot unlike MON did with us.

We had some great battles with them in that period. The Young game everyone remembers but the 3-3 at VP later that season was a brilliant game aswell. We were both best of the rest in that period.

I do think this West Ham side is closest to what he had at Everton since he left them. Solid  keeper and defence, functional midfield and tricky players in final third. Soucek with his heading ability and late runs into the box reminds me of Tim Cahill aswell.

Unfortunately my lasting memory of those games is that 3-1 defeat in the FA cup 2009 when we didn't turn up. Also in February!

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 09:00:52 PM »
didn't appear to be limited last night - showed us up a treat - he got a proper performance out of his team and tactically shut our midfield down. Fair play to him.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 10:54:39 PM »
Was a brilliant first goal they got last night. One touch football, running off the ball and a brilliant finish.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2021, 02:29:05 PM »

TTOD? I don't care if it's in jest or not but can we not ever use that term or abbreviation on here? It's repulsive.

Anybody calling them 'United' is a far bigger crime and one that really boils my piss.

Watching Man U v Sheff U the other night the pitch-side interviewer of the Sheff U player said 'So how does it feel beating United?' and the player answered. Rather than saying 'But we won?'

Really fucked me off.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2021, 02:46:09 PM »
And for the record, there are occasions over the years where I'd have bitten your hand off to have Moyes.

O'Leary
McLeish
Lambert
Garde
di Matteo
Bruce

Would we have turned him down over many of them? There are plenty others I'd have had in front of what we got and Moyes wouldn't have been at the head of the queue but it's all about timing and he'd have been better than what we got.

Offline steamer

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 05:56:41 PM »
Never one for me, although he probably better than anyone on that list.
from the comments i saw every time we seemed keen, i had the impression he saw himself above us. waiting for the man u job
My best mate is a Everton fan and no way (irrationally) i wanted his sloppy seconds.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2021, 06:38:33 PM »
from the comments i saw every time we seemed keen, i had the impression he saw himself above us. waiting for the man u job. My best mate is a Everton fan and no way (irrationally) i wanted his sloppy seconds.
To be fair, I suspect he was encouraged by his bessie mate and would-be Kingmaker, Sralex.

Offline danno

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2021, 07:04:33 PM »
from the comments i saw every time we seemed keen, i had the impression he saw himself above us. waiting for the man u job. My best mate is a Everton fan and no way (irrationally) i wanted his sloppy seconds.
To be fair, I suspect he was encouraged by his bessie mate and would-be Kingmaker, Sralex.

Apart from them (typically) panning us at home. I quite enjoyed his spell there.

"The Chosen one" lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal