collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: David Moyes: The one that got away?  (Read 4776 times)

Offline danno

Re: David Moyes: The one that got away?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 12:58:12 PM »
I don't think he's a dinosaur. But I do think a comparison with MON is fair.

I'm not saying he's better or worse, but there's not that much between them. When it comes to working with limited resources MON achieved similar levels of success at Leicester than Moyes did at Everton.

And both were crap at Sunderland!

Compare what MON had to spend at Villa Park and Moyes at Goodison yet MON was always was second best. Never rated either and was delighted when Moyes turned us down it the Championship. As for MON, even the Celtic fans were tired of his football and glad he left when he did (though not under the personal circumstances).

He did a better job at Everton than MON did here. My point was that I don't think that there is that much between the two of them. So I think originally saying that the two of them are "broadly comparable" is neither risible nor unfair.

Offline avfc456

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 03:03:18 PM »
A good few years ago now I knew an Everton season ticket holder when Moyes was in charge and one of his criticisms was his record against the teams in the top 6.  I like Moyes and glad he has turned it around for himself, comes across as a decent bloke no frills and thought it was harsh when those prats at West Ham didn't keep him on after he did well to keep them up

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 03:24:41 PM »
I have only ever met three Villa managers in what, seventy five years.  Four if you include Harrison but I don't.  I met David Moyes on the beach in Nice when he had brought his Preston team over for a winter break.  Good bloke, I was impressed by him.  He was clearly a rising talent in the managerial ranks.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 04:05:02 PM »
A very limited Manager, he drove Evertonians nuts with his constant safety first negativity. He tried the same at TTOD and see how that worked out.
This West Ham team is doing what Everton did and will come up short.

TTOD? I don't care if it's in jest or not but can we not ever use that term or abbreviation on here? It's repulsive.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 04:06:31 PM »
What's wrong with The Theatre of Dickheads?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 04:25:01 PM »
A very limited Manager, he drove Evertonians nuts with his constant safety first negativity. He tried the same at TTOD and see how that worked out.

TTOD? I don't care if it's in jest or not but can we not ever use that term or abbreviation on here? It's repulsive.

Anybody calling them 'United' is a far bigger crime and one that really boils my piss.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 04:40:21 PM »

It winds Manure fans up more than anything.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 06:12:55 PM »

Results at Everton were very good though and his stint at West Ham has turned them around (twice). Keeping West Ham in the division is the sum total of their boards ambition and he is comfortably achieving that on a limited budget.

Once the fans get back in, he will come under a bit of pressure alright "We're West Ham and we play on the floor".

Looking forward to this game.
Yes he kept them there or there abouts but no Cigar, he did not push on and pretended he did not spend money which was rubbish. The football was dull.

The football was dull at times but it was still football that got results with likes of Fellaini and Cahill benefitting from direct play. But he still had some talented footballers in those teams, likes of Pienaar, Baines, Coleman, Lescott, Arteta, Jagielka. Could mix it physically and play some decent stuff. Likes of Stones and Stones were sold on for huge money too.

He surely was working off a lower budget than MON at the same time and finishing higher? They did make the top 4 one year but couldnt get through the qualifiers I think. He also left the club in a good spot unlike MON did with us.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 06:15:07 PM »

Results at Everton were very good though and his stint at West Ham has turned them around (twice). Keeping West Ham in the division is the sum total of their boards ambition and he is comfortably achieving that on a limited budget.

Once the fans get back in, he will come under a bit of pressure alright "We're West Ham and we play on the floor".

Yes he kept them there or there abouts but no Cigar, he did not push on and pretended he did not spend money which was rubbish. The football was dull.

The football was dull at times but it was still football that got results with likes of Fellaini and Cahill benefitting from direct play. But he still had some talented footballers in those teams, likes of Pienaar, Baines, Coleman, Lescott, Arteta, Jagielka. Could mix it physically and play some decent stuff. Likes of Stones and Stones were sold on for huge money too.

He surely was working off a lower budget than MON at the same time and finishing higher? They did make the top 4 one year but couldnt get through the qualifiers I think. He also left the club in a good spot unlike MON did with us.

They only got to bank that money once though.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »

Pretty much as it was. He was my first choice when the twat flounced off, but that was thinking he'd get more bang for our bucks, and not knowing the tap was about to be pretty much turned off.
There would have been a case for him to take it had he been offered the kind of money O'Neill had to spend.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2021, 07:03:45 PM »
 I cooked and served Moyes dinner one night n Preston ('twas a very quiet tuesday nght) and he had come back to watch them play shortly after he had gone to manage Everton.  He was a thoroughly nice and unassuming chap.  I'd not swap hm for are Dean but I wish him no ill...except for a 5-1 smashing tonight obviously!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2021, 07:43:07 PM »
Exactly like MON but not as much of a c***.

Not so sure.  He threatened to slap a female reporter.  Also there’s a story that when Everton bought Seamus Coleman from an Irish League club as part of the deal Everton agreed to play a friendly against them to raise them some money.  Full crowd expectant of seeing premier league stars and he sent the under 23’s.  Didn’t go down well at all.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 10:13:52 PM »
Certainly out witted Dean tonight.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2021, 10:15:37 PM »
Certainly out witted Dean tonight.
This with bells on

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2021, 10:24:45 PM »
He would have been a better option than any between Gregory sacking and Dean Smith being appointed. In hindsight.

Primarily because of the utter dross and lack of succession planning.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal