collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Pre-Match Thread  (Read 15693 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Pre Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2021, 07:53:48 AM »
8pm kick off against Newcastle?
8 pm ? On a Saturday night ?
Fucking hell, don’t think think people have got better things to do, places to go?

Oh, wait........
The slightly concerning thing is that Pandora's box has now been opened.  When we eventually get to a post-lockdown world where people can go and watch football again, the TV companies in particular will have got used to showing the majority of matches on TV.  Think there'll be some resistance on their part against getting rid of all of the wild-and-wonderful kickoff slots.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2021, 07:57:12 AM »
Gotta disagree there Allan. Of course Bruce steadied the Villa ship. He, like it or not, was just what we needed at the time he took over. I think he did a good job, but we were on different trajectories. He’s a decent man, prone to making excuses like the best of us at times will. We out grew him ( I know- difficult!). He’s a top half championship/ bottom half Premiership manager and our ambitions are now, or should be, back in the top 6. I bear no malice to the bloke- tried to get us up, narrowly failed and the rest is history. Don’t forget the personal struggles he had, losing both his parents whilst managing Villa.

The late 60’s / early 70’s were before my time, but I see him as a Vic Crowe coming in and turning the ship around after the craziness of the Doc, before handing over to the more competent Saunders equivalent of Smith. Those older than me may well disagree, but there are similarities with how things seem to be playing out. Hopefully history repeats.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2021, 08:12:36 AM »
Gotta disagree there Allan. Of course Bruce steadied the Villa ship. He, like it or not, was just what we needed at the time he took over. I think he did a good job, but we were on different trajectories. He’s a decent man, prone to making excuses like the best of us at times will. We out grew him ( I know- difficult!). He’s a top half championship/ bottom half Premiership manager and our ambitions are now, or should be, back in the top 6. I bear no malice to the bloke- tried to get us up, narrowly failed and the rest is history. Don’t forget the personal struggles he had, losing both his parents whilst managing Villa.

The late 60’s / early 70’s were before my time, but I see him as a Vic Crowe coming in and turning the ship around after the craziness of the Doc, before handing over to the more competent Saunders equivalent of Smith. Those older than me may well disagree, but there are similarities with how things seem to be playing out. Hopefully history repeats.
  this is absolutely spot on in every detail

Offline Allan C

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2021, 09:01:34 AM »

Obviously I would have to disagree with a lot of that Robbo. I’ve always thought that we wasted two years under Bruce and I think the ship had already settled when he took over. I didn’t see us dropping another division at the time. I’m not sure about him being a decent bloke because I don’t know him. To me he was our manager with outdated methods. His private life should be that, private. For instance, I loved Ron Saunders a brilliant manager but didn’t know he was married or had children until recently. That’s the way it should be

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »
FTHPNJWBRNLESFTTFBSDFTCF

Something about Scotland?

I've worked out 3 letters so far. The first and last F obviously, and the D for Dec.

Horse Punching, No Jumper Wearing, Blaydon Racing, No Longer Everybody's Second Favourite Team, Topless Fat Bloking, Sports Direct Financed, Toon Crier.

Newcastle are just us now from 2011-12 and 13-15. Incredibly boring team to watch for a neutral who's sole ambition is to just stay up under manager not one of their fanbase actually want so considering all the hype they had in the 90s (when they were a very exciting team) that must be more soul destroying than never winning anything.

The hope has gone!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2021, 09:44:08 AM »
8pm kick off against Newcastle?
8 pm ? On a Saturday night ?
Fucking hell, don’t think think people have got better things to do, places to go?

Oh, wait........

You ever been to Newcastle?

Feel duty bound to say that Newcastle, as well as being a great city in general, is a really good night out as well!

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2021, 09:56:27 AM »
Yeah but it's the coldest place on earth.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »
Newcastle is a great place for a night out. It is a long way to go though.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »

I agree entirely.

I don't know whether we were heading for successive relegations, but I was at Reading when we won our first away game for more than a year, and the relief was palpable. I can't deny him at least some credit for changing the culture and turning the ship around. We started to regularly win games for the first time in ages - we might have been winning ugly, but it was a needs must situation.

That said, I appreciated at the time that he wasn't a sustainable long-term solution for the club, but the fact is that he was operating in a leadership vacuum. We now have a very different structure around the manager, and a manager who is much better equipped to nurture and improve the team over time.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2021, 10:33:51 AM »
I expect Newcastle will spend most of the game camped in their own half hoping for a 0-0 or to nick a goal from a set piece. Anyway 3-0 home win and a further sob on the Tyne.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2021, 11:01:21 AM »

this is absolutely spot on in every detail
Except  is that it isnt.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2021, 11:05:58 AM »
He came in, spent a shit load of money that we didnt have on players that were not good enough. He had and has no idea of tactics which limited any chance of promotion. He failed miserably blamed everybody else until someone chucked a cabbage at him and then he fucked off. Good riddance.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2021, 11:11:42 AM »
Yeah but it's the coldest place on earth.

Only if you're a great big shandy-drinking jessie!

(coldest place I've ever been, I don't think that Coats R Us does a roaring trade up there though.)

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2021, 12:40:40 PM »
He came in, spent a shit load of money that we didnt have on players that were not good enough. He had and has no idea of tactics which limited any chance of promotion. He failed miserably blamed everybody else until someone chucked a cabbage at him and then he fucked off. Good riddance.

He made some good signings amongst the poor ones as all managers do, albeit some on loan - Snodgrass, Abraham, El Ghazi, Hourihane, Elmohamady all helped to turn the club around - and probably the best player we’ve got from Scotland since Des Bremner.

Bruce had his time and came up short but it wasn’t all doom and gloom in that period given the previous 6 or 7 years we’d endured.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2021, 12:43:18 PM »
They are in poor form ,the fans and manager will expect improvement, and the Burnley result will encourage this, I think they will stifle our midfield I’m hoping 1.0 will enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal