collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Pre-Match Thread  (Read 15690 times)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Aston Villa v Newcastle United Pre Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2021, 03:28:29 PM »
No away end could possibly be as cold as Meadow Lane in 1992. And it was a terrible game.

I seem to recall Staunton missed a penalty.

And nobody could fathom what it had been given for in the first place.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2021, 03:42:31 PM »
No away end could possibly be as cold as Meadow Lane in 1992. And it was a terrible game.
No. I am going to have to trump that with the  Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow in 2009. -12 degrees, about a foot of snow everywhere, chilly winds and Moscow's finest with their batons drawn holding us back in our pen. That's cold.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2021, 03:47:53 PM »
Stoke is always cold whenever I've been there.

Stoke away in '87/'88 was the worst view (or more accurately lack of view) I have ever had at a game. We were alongside the pitch and right down the bottom with our eye level view in line with the players legs. Although to be fair I wasn't cold.

The coldest I remember being was at Shitefield Rd in the seats on that horrific Boxing Day 3-0 when Mick Quinn got a hat trick, funny how the two worst performances I've seen there were in the two seasons we finished runners up.

The coldest I've been at though must be Hamburg a few years ago, it was showing -6 on the scoreboard.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2021, 04:14:08 PM »
Stoke is always cold whenever I've been there.

Stoke away in '87/'88 was the worst view (or more accurately lack of view) I have ever had at a game. We were alongside the pitch and right down the bottom with our eye level view in line with the players legs. Although to be fair I wasn't cold.

The coldest I remember being was at Shitefield Rd in the seats on that horrific Boxing Day 3-0 when Mick Quinn got a hat trick, funny how the two worst performances I've seen there were in the two seasons we finished runners up.

The coldest I've been at though must be Hamburg a few years ago, it was showing -6 on the scoreboard.

Hamburg. The only time I've fallen asleep stood up.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2021, 05:27:43 PM »
He came in, spent a shit load of money that we didnt have on players that were not good enough. He had and has no idea of tactics which limited any chance of promotion. He failed miserably blamed everybody else until someone chucked a cabbage at him and then he fucked off. Good riddance.

Di Matteo spent £54m (net £30m) summer 2016.

Bruce spent £21m (net £5m) January 2017, £2m (net £-13m) summer 2017, £0m January 2018 (net £0m), £7m (net -£7m) summer 2018. A total of £30m (-£15m)

Hogan was obviously a waste of money in terms of fee and wages, but all of the others were relatively low fees. Lansbury has obviously been a waste of wages, but most of the others have served a purpose, or been off-loaded. He generally played the loan market well.

I agree that this wasn't sustainable long term, because by the time he left we had a relatively old squad apart from the loanees, had to go out and buy a whole new squad in summer 2019, and if we hadn't been promoted would have been royally fucked. However, someone (Xia?) was sanctioning these transfers, and you'd struggle argue that Hourihane, McGinn, El Ghazi, Taylor, Elmohamady and Whelan (ultimately) weren't good value.

I agree that he didn't have a clue about tactics, and that he ultimately failed. However, he was starting from such a low base, with a squad that had been conditioned to lose football matches, and he did start to change this.

I am pleased that he is no longer our manager, but I don't understand the animosity towards him.

That all ignores signing fees and loan fees which was where he was literally giving money away to gamble on short term 'success'. If he'd won the play offs and then kept us up (both things Smith managed) I'd have held my hand up and admitted he's a better manager than I thought but the facts are he failed at the first part and left himself with a near impossible task to try again because the squad he'd assembled was a fucking mess and our problems and takeover meant he couldn't throw another 7-8 players at it and see what happened.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2021, 06:15:25 PM »
Let's mash Mr Potato Head.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »
Bruce was thoroughly shit. He wasn't recruited to 'steady the ship'. His remit was promotion, and he failed in quite the most craven way.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2021, 06:57:48 PM »
Bruce was thoroughly shit. He wasn't recruited to 'steady the ship'. His remit was promotion, and he failed in quite the most craven way.

We'd just been relegated on 17 points, losing 27 games and gone through two managers and a caretaker who no-one liked. Of course we needed some kind of stability.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2021, 07:01:08 PM »
We needed much, much more than that.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
The rot needed to stop first and foremost regardless of who came in.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2021, 07:03:26 PM »
The rot needed to stop first and foremost regardless of who came in.

Which a good manager would have done whilst being, well, good.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2021, 07:05:48 PM »
Well, we stopped losing which was the main thing really. Sunderland will tell you that.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »
Well, we stopped losing which was the main thing really. Sunderland will tell you that.

If our current set up were happy with being better than Sunderland we'd still be in the Championship.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2021, 07:10:39 PM »

If our current set up were happy with being better than Sunderland we'd still be in the Championship.

Which is not the point I was making. I think I'll leave it there.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2021, 07:35:26 PM »
He left us better than he found us, which was an improvement on his five immediate predecessors.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal