collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 16079 times)

Offline jwarry

Re: West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2020, 08:04:53 AM »
After calming down and reflecting on last night this is how I now see things. We are still work in progress but a million miles better than last year, though we did see glimpses of how Dean wanted to play eg Norwich away. 

Some clever recruitment this summer has seen the overall quality improve and we are now a force to be reckoned with even if we have been wasteful.  Even Moyes had to concede that.

Although January transfer windows are notoriously difficult I fully expect us to keep plugging our week spots - and right now I would include Tyrone in that bracket.  I don’t think anybody can see our best eleven is not good enough to beat even the best sides in the league - our problem is if any one of them has a bad day our quality takes an immediate nose dive

So, having calmed down as I say, I am more optimistic than I have been for near on 20 years and can’t wait to see what we look like this time next year

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2020, 08:05:41 AM »
We've now lost 4 out of our last 5 games so we have to be a bit concerned about what is going on. Var is shite, but we win some and lose some and there's nothing we can do about it. We need to get ruthless and make the advantages we have in games (we're playing well) . My fear is we have a very good team but an average squad and our inability to change the team between and within games is hurting us.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »
we may have lost 4 out  of 5 but we shouldn’t have
That’s the difference from previous seasons

can’t remember being so pissed of with a performance than last night
to many players need to take a look at themselves

Mings, Target, McGinn, Watkins, Trez none of them are under any pressure of losing their place in the first 11 because we have no quality to replace them
but we should have won easily last night against a side who play Bruce ball
these players let themselves and the club down, it’s not good enough

I dont put Conor in that group because he’s very limited and can’t do any better,
he is what he is out of his depth but that’s not his fault

West Ham are not a good football side yet they are 5 th in the league ffs
Opportunity missed again

Offline Luke8

« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2020, 08:22:36 AM »
We've now lost 4 out of our last 5 games so we have to be a bit concerned about what is going on. Var is shite, but we win some and lose some and there's nothing we can do about it. We need to get ruthless and make the advantages we have in games (we're playing well) . My fear is we have a very good team but an average squad and our inability to change the team between and within games is hurting us.

I’m not too concerned. Think it’s better to look at the performance levels rather than just results and the last couple of games have been pretty decent overall. Obviously there are some finer details in both boxes than we need to improve on, but I reckon we win more games than we lose if we continue to put in the level of performance that we did last night.

Agree about the overall level of the squad as a whole. Got to remember though that it is only our second season back in the division. The finances at play have given a lot of team a pretty big head start. Just look at West Ham being about £60m worth of players off the bench last night.

I think the club as a whole have shown enough recently that they are able to recognise areas where we need to improve and rectify them when they have the opportunity. We are clearly heading in the right direction.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2020, 08:36:38 AM »
We were mugged.

Heretical though it may be to say it, but we need to find an alternative to McGinn.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »
To me, our form is annoying rather than concerning. 'Concerning' would be scratching around the bottom 8 and wondering where the next win is coming from, 'annoying' is knowing that were it not for missing a handful of chances in two games we'd be top of the league with a game in hand.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 09:27:06 AM by Lastfootstamper »

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2020, 08:46:19 AM »
As an aside - What the hell is this fannying about at goal kicks with a defender stood at both corners of the goal box? Invites pressure.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2020, 08:50:08 AM »
As an aside - What the hell is this fannying about at goal kicks with a defender stood at both corners of the goal box? Invites pressure.

Retaining possession in order to build up the play though the team. Don’t think it caused many problems last night did it? And it was probably at better tactic that punting it up for Watkins to compete against their giant centre backs.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2020, 08:50:17 AM »
I know. One example took nearly 10 passes to get the ball out of our own box, with their forwards closing in.
And the ball still gets whacked into midfield anyway.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2020, 08:53:24 AM »
Agreed found that very frustrating last night.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline Villan82

« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2020, 09:24:59 AM »
We were mugged.

Heretical though it may be to say it, but we need to find an alternative to McGinn.

We gave away two cheap goals - early Christmas presents- we mugged ourselves. The sort of shite that nearly relegated us last year.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2020, 09:26:40 AM »
I know. One example took nearly 10 passes to get the ball out of our own box, with their forwards closing in.
And the ball still gets whacked into midfield anyway.

It gets whacked up to midfield after the opposition have left space in the midfield by pointlessly pushing up.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2020, 09:51:22 AM »
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12147701/var-debate-jamie-carragher-and-gary-neville-demand-changes-after-aston-villa-equaliser-ruled-out
Carragher nailed it last night with a spot on analogy of the incident. Those in charge of var seem to have almost no common sense when they look at things. Either that or they have absolutely no idea about the nuances of a game of football. I mean are they ex Rugby refs or something? They are clueless about the game we love. It took Carragher mere seconds to spot the foul on Ollie. The plonkers at Stockley Park had no clue what they had missed and were too busy drawing stupid fucking lines all over the place. I'm so completely fucked off with var and those in charge of it right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal