collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 11:12:08 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Olympiacos flights by Des Little
[Today at 11:08:37 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:06:24 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 11:00:31 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Drummond
[Today at 10:52:47 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:50:46 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 16385 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2020, 10:06:22 AM »
That was such a spoiler of a decision last night with Watkins disallowed goal.
We toiled so well for so long and fully deserved at least a point.
It was an unfortunate penalty miss too as well as othe decent opportunities to score i felt performance wise a lot was good

Ollie Watkins seemed to think he may have been offside judging by his muted celebrations but I feel it really could have been given and for all our great play,domination and chance thats 2 matches Villa have lost which could have been 3 pts if not at least 1pt in each match

I think to avoid injuries and to freshen up -its really a squad game- a couple of team changes needed and feel its important for 3pts on Friday to get back ok track.

Currently sit 10th place.  We've failed on pushing to number 1 position again but it's very fine margins and a solid victory and win on Friday would push us up the table again.

Finishing 8 to 12th would be fair perhaps what we've seen so far and would really love the top half finish.
10th place is a there or thereabouts assessment of where we are given results but performances Villa should be in the top 6 by my reckoning and observations

Anyway very disappointed with the result but pleased on the majority of the play and attitude. I really think Dean Smighs Villa heading in the right way despite last couple of set backs

Up the villa.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
Has anyone got the footage of Jack going down after the clash where Fornals was booked.  He's getting slated everywhere this morning by the usual haters but there was a delay there.  Would be interested to see again

Also posted in the Grealish thread but probably more relevant here

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2020, 10:12:51 AM »
I thought VAR was there to overule when an obvious offside was missed not to run the rule over finger tips and big toes.
That said we had more than enough chances to kill the game off, thought Jack was brilliant.

VAR is there (here?) to make sure we get the right decisions, because there's so much at stake these days and at the end of the day that's what we all, players, managers and fans alike, want to see. So we were told.

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #183 on: December 01, 2020, 10:31:06 AM »
Exactly, but the point the ball is kicked is still a guess. No technology can precisely determine this vital part of the criteria used to make an offside decision.
In Rugby and Cricket the advice is relayed live and the referee/umpire has the option to stick with the original decision or overturn it.
As it stands, VAR is subjective but binding. It can't and shouldn't be both.

Online The Edge

« Reply #184 on: December 01, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »
Has anyone got the footage of Jack going down after the clash where Fornals was booked.  He's getting slated everywhere this morning by the usual haters but there was a delay there.  Would be interested to see again

Yes I'd like to see that too. Defended Jack last night after the haters absolutely crucified him. I'm sure I saw some footage where Fornals kicked him in his knee after the ball had gone. That's why he was booked. Jack did hit the deck theatrically but what's he supposed to do when he's getting kicked from pillar to post.

Online The Edge

« Reply #185 on: December 01, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
Exactly, but the point the ball is kicked is still a guess. No technology can precisely determine this vital part of the criteria used to make an offside decision.
In Rugby and Cricket the advice is relayed live and the referee/umpire has the option to stick with the original decision or overturn it.
As it stands, VAR is subjective but binding. It can't and shouldn't be both.
I've banged on abou this since I first saw an offside given by var for millimetres. If you're going to be so precise then you have to know the exact moment it leaves the passing players foot. Had lots of people on here at the time saying I was being ridiculous but it seems bloody obvious to my mind.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #186 on: December 01, 2020, 10:46:47 AM »

Yes I'd like to see that too. Defended Jack last night after the haters absolutely crucified him. I'm sure I saw some footage where Fornals kicked him in his knee after the ball had gone. That's why he was booked. Jack did hit the deck theatrically but what's he supposed to do when he's getting kicked from pillar to post.

West Ham seemed to do an awful lot of fouls yesterday. 20 fouls to Villa 7.
Yet it was only one yellow card apiece

Matty Cash was definitely a yellow and he's now on 4 cards one away from suspension
For all his good tackling and determination at times yesterday Cash didn't push on down the right with Dougie Luiz several times motioning him to get forward more and be higher up for when Luiz plays his pass

And back to discipline from the game that I watched West Ham should have had more bookings though.
Peter Bankes was fair to Villa in awarding of fouls but a few more cautions would have stopped all West Ham persistent fouling

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2020, 10:47:31 AM »
Anybody saying anything about a "good run of fixtures" on here should cop for a week's ban!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »
On Jacks dive.  I’m sorry there’s no defence.  It was embarrassing. 

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #189 on: December 01, 2020, 11:03:34 AM »
Plus when he falls to the ground he is clutching his other knee.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #190 on: December 01, 2020, 11:04:49 AM »
It’s about belief, we dominate a game and still manage to lose.
There is a problem,not sure what it is but I would start with the defense.

We've missed a penalty and yet another fucking sitter, McGinn's shite right foot, off target with a fantastically positioned free kick and a header from six yards out, restricted the opposition to two efforts on target, and people think it's the defence that's the problem? Lots and lots and lots and fucking lots of shooting practice wouldn't go amiss, imho.
You could say we where allowed to attack and dominate the game because they were in the lead for most of the game.

Then hats off to Moyes for his unwavering bravery in banking on us missing all those chances. It's not like they successfully shut up shop, we battered them but finished with all the aplomb of a Scouts under-9s 'b' team.

I scored for the cubs once. In a 7-all draw. Which, if I remember rightly (it was over 40 years ago) was the second best result after a 2-1 win. Our worst was something like 30-1.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #191 on: December 01, 2020, 11:05:01 AM »

Offline luke95

« Reply #192 on: December 01, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
On Jacks dive.  I’m sorry there’s no defence.  It was embarrassing. 
Yep the one with a slight delay & then a theatrical fall to the ground was a bit cringe.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #193 on: December 01, 2020, 11:12:32 AM »
Two stupid goals.
Missed penalty.
Missed sitter.
Disallowed goal/failure to award penalty.

Other than that, we were by far the better team. It's the individual errors and lack of quality in key moments that is costing us.

I'm not blaming VAR for that defeat, it was part of the issue but putting away easy chances and stopping goal-scoring opportunities is the bread and butter stuff we didn't get right. Trez is so frustrating. Watkins was an inch away from scoring that penalty, it was almost perfect and I don't blame him for going top corner.

Those goals though, fuck me it's bad.

Silly defensive mistakes,

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »
To me, our form is annoying rather than concerning. 'Concerning' would be scratching around the bottom 8 and wondering where the next win is coming from, 'annoying' is knowing that were it not for missing a handful of chances in two games we'd be top of the league with a game in hand.

It is concerning for me. It’s no good beating Liverpool and Arsenal so convincingly and then losing to Leeds, Southampton, Brighton and West Ham. It’s much better than last season, a real improvement, but our inability to create so little chances (and then not take them, when we do) given how much possession we have is worrying.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal