collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 20874 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2020, 06:16:24 PM »
yes they were defending for their lives at the end
But I don't think Brighton are a defensive minded side

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
Comes to something when you've got fecking Danny Wellbeck as your opposition goalscoring nemesis. At least a Kane or a salah is respectable.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2020, 06:21:02 PM »

Maybe not but today they played the same 3 centre half and 2 defensive midfielder shape that Southgate is insisting on.

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2020, 06:23:48 PM »
Well that’s my weekend fooked. Disappointed. Poor performance defensively cost us

Offline john e

« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2020, 06:25:30 PM »

Maybe not but today they played the same 3 centre half and 2 defensive midfielder shape that Southgate is insisting on.

I see teams like Newcastle, Sheffield Utd Burnley as being defensive minded teams
when I've seen Brighton they look a lot more progressive than that to me

I knew they would be a handful today
whereas when we play those teams mentioned I think it's a matter of breaking them down

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2020, 06:28:05 PM »
I’m so sick of Mings. Loses his attacker or does something stupid in every single game. He’s never going to get any better, unlike Konsa who has improved massively. Southgate has got the wrong Villa defender in the squad.

Offline Neal and Winton

« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2020, 06:28:47 PM »
A worrying stat is that in our five home games we have conceded eleven goals that equates to forty two for the season .The highest number of goals conceded last season by any of the relegated teams was thirty seven .
I know  we haven’t has yet concede away from home but we’ve only played three.
This is concerning.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
First half could have ended 3-3 (Emi playing well and Trez being wasteful). McGinn was awful before the break.
2nd half was poor with Mings playing badly and also Jack the last 20-25 minutes (what was that backheel all about in the 6 yard box?).
It was a definite pen, though Trez made the most of it. VAR and refs are sh-t (nothing new there), but combined the game of football is being ruined. Disappointing that Barkley suffered an injury after only 2 unchallenged minutes. I don't know much about him from other clubs, but is he injury prone? His substitution obviously upset the balance of the team, though Traore coming on 1st centrally and then wide right was a good shout by Dean. Even moving Jack into the centre was good as Trez coped better with tracking Lamptey. Ollie was well marked by their defence today. I can understand the substitutions of Traore and Luiz after their international journeys. I'm sure Dean was banking on doing these subs with Villa in a more favourable position. Disappointed obviously, but onto the next game.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »
With a nod to a recent viral video I saw...

Oliver is a wanker,
he wears a wankers hat.
Gave Villa a stonewall peno,
then changed his mind 'cause he's a twat !

Online LukeJames

« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2020, 06:33:44 PM »
All our defeats have come with the opposition scoring worldies, that surely can't continue.

There was a goal against Spurs (pretty sure actually that it was Brighton that scored it) were by there was the most blatant foul in the build up, the ref went over to the VAR screen and stuck with his decision of it not being a foul because the tackler brushed the ball before going through his man. It was the worst decision I had seen since VAR came in and he was universally criticised for it. That March brushed the ball today was completely irrelevant, it was a stonewall penalty. I also thought it was odd that they only showed Oliver 1 slow motion angle on the VAR screen.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2020, 06:38:04 PM »
That first goal conceded today set the tone, and was so amateurish.  Mings looked to be in a comfort zone he was in when playing for England against Ireland and Iceland in last week or two, where he and Harry Maguire seemed to enjoy full rein to cavort around in midfield doing nothing in particular very well, but complacent in the knowledge that nothing much could go wrong regardless, should they find themselves out of position.  I don't think Danny Welbeck will have scored too many goals in his career, running unmolested from within his own half and leaving a centre back in his wake.  On the evidence going back to Wolves away, round about this time last year, Smith and Terry might wish to give serious thought to leaving Mings out of the starting XI, on a return from an international break.

I can't get too worked about the penalty in all honestly, given the poor performance, though an equalizer would have given me the 2-2 I'd forecast on the Skybet 6.

Offline pelty

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2020, 06:45:09 PM »
Guaranteed we'd lose today just because everyone expected us to win. Fuck off world.

This made me laugh. Thank you.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2020, 06:45:25 PM »
We are the premier league version of dean’s brentford. Great when it clicks, but only have one way of playing.

Offline john e

« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
We are the premier league version of dean’s brentford. Great when it clicks, but only have one way of playing.

It’s not a bad way though is it

I’d still take it over the shit served up over the last 10 years

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2020, 06:53:26 PM »
I agree. Its a joy to watch at times, which is why im not too down about losing. We’ll beat west ham.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal