collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 20887 times)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2020, 05:57:48 PM »
- Ollie hopefully still finding his feet. Goes from world beating to Samatta mk2 from game to game. Seems to step up against the big boys and look a shadow of that player against teams like Brighton and Leeds

I sometimes think with lower league strikers in top division sides that they struggle against limited defences instead of the world class ones. Your Champions League defenders rely on tactics and natural talent, whereas your Leeds and Southampton back fours have to work hard and use every trick in the book. Today seemed a good example of that.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2020, 06:00:23 PM »
well i think if Brighton put Lamptey up for sale tomorrow with a price 5 times what they paid Chelsea, I don't think they'd be short of takers

What did they pay

3m

Wow

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2020, 06:00:45 PM »
I’m still feeling really pissed off still

really really pissed of actually

Me too

How the hell can we beat Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal 11-2 and then lose the last  3 at home including to Brighton. Bloody Brighton who had never won at VP before. Only saw the second half but we looked clueless going forward all huff and no quality end product.

Yes that’s it - it just felt like after they scored the second we weren’t going to claw it back.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:13 PM »
Thought we deserved a draw, played some good stuff particularly in the first half, but Mings' form is getting more concerning. Also McGinn made too many sloppy passes, one particularly could have cost us. Big blow losing Ross hopefully it's not too bad an injury.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2020, 06:01:54 PM »
We fizzled out after the substitutions. 

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2020, 06:02:52 PM »
It’s a fucked in football world where the Man U penalty last season that Bruno Fernandez “won” IS a penalty, and yet that one today isn’t.

Absolute cast iron guarantee if that had happened to Man C, Liverpool etc, that would have been given.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2020, 06:03:19 PM »
I go along with the "all huff and no quality end product" opinions. Yeah, it looked like a siege for a long while, but we were trying to kick in a sturdy wooden door with our flip-flops on.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2020, 06:03:52 PM »
We’re not losing like we used to lose though
where we just bent over pitifully and got rammed

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2020, 06:05:43 PM »
As others have said Mings was very poor today and he needs to improve quickly.
Even his pointing was shite.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2020, 06:07:23 PM »
I go along with the "all huff and no quality end product" opinions. Yeah, it looked like a siege for a long while, but we were trying to kick in a sturdy wooden door with our flip-flops on.

Lets not forget that they had 5 centre halves on the pitch at the end (and 4 for the entire 2nd half). Most teams outside of the top 4-5 struggle against teams that play so defensively, especially at home where they feel the need to commit players forward and go for the win. Yes we made defensive errors but a big part of why we did is because they were so deep (first goal, for example, only Maupay and Welbeck were more than about 15-20m from their box when they broke and because we want to press high that drew our defence too far forward.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2020, 06:10:02 PM »

Lets not forget that they had 5 centre halves on the pitch at the end (and 4 for the entire 2nd half). Most teams outside of the top 4-5 struggle against teams that play so defensively, especially at home where they feel the need to commit players forward and go for the win. Yes we made defensive errors but a big part of why we did is because they were so deep (first goal, for example, only Maupay and Welbeck were more than about 15-20m from their box when they broke and because we want to press high that drew our defence too far forward.

Yes but equally we kind of played into their hands by pressing so high - that’s what they wanted and the only way they could carry a threat. We need to be better at adapting to the opposition at times.

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2020, 06:10:10 PM »
It was an exciting game box to box until Brighton got their 2nd
Villa seem to get these horrible international break hangovers that destroy our upward momentum. Mings was ragged today, Grealish did some weird things like the back heel in his own 6 yard box and McGinn was guilty of several wayward passes.
I was suprised that Smith brought Traore on when Barkley limped off. I was expecting Hourihane. It was quite telling Smith took him off around 70 mins.
Trez had enough chances to win the game on his own. He's frustrating but he keeps showing up, trying stuff and having shots. He's scored some big goals for us sneaking in at the back post. In contrast Traore always took the easy square ball option in the first half and played like Ali Dia in the 2nd so much so Deano subbed the sub! Brave management but was he really the right replacement for Barkley after 5mins?

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »

Yep. Ryan hardly had a shot to save last 35 mins. All a bit predictable. Seems to be a pattern forming that we only win when aren’t expected to and vice Versa.

I also wish Jack would Sometimes move the ball / lay it off quicker

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »
We had more than enough chances to get something from the game. It’s certainly not a game we should have lost. It does highlight though that we are a team in transition. That at times we look outstanding especially when playing with lower expectations as we probably did vs Liverpool or Arsenal than when the onus is on us to attack. We don’t yet have the complete skill set to be a top 6 side. Heck only a few months ago we were to be a PL side finishing 17th. Most of us had expectations that this season would be a massive success finishing mid table. Which I still think we will comfortably. But as disappointing as the loss is it shows that there are just going to be days like this where we won’t take our chances and we will get punished at this level for being who we are. We need better players and this season is a bridge to that. We’ve made great strides so far with the players we do have.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »
We had more than enough chances to get something from the game. It’s certainly not a game we should have lost. It does highlight though that we are a team in transition. That at times we look outstanding especially when playing with lower expectations as we probably did vs Liverpool or Arsenal than when the onus is on us to attack. We don’t yet have the complete skill set to be a top 6 side. Heck only a few months ago we were to be a PL side finishing 17th. Most of us had expectations that this season would be a massive success finishing mid table. Which I still think we will comfortably. But as disappointing as the loss is it shows that there are just going to be days like this where we won’t take our chances and we will get punished at this level for being who we are. We need better players and this season is a bridge to that. We’ve made great strides so far with the players we do have.
True.  We are 3/4 players from being a top side.  Like to see a couple of decent signings in January.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal