collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 20858 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »
It is a contact sport, contact is not necessarily a foul.
I know the laws of the game and can see why it was not given.
The fact that lots of decisions are wrong is irrelevant, once it was given then based on the clear and obvious it should have stood.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2020, 05:46:21 PM »
I’m still feeling really pissed off still

really really pissed of actually

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2020, 05:46:35 PM »
I'm with Andy, Lamptey has the raw pace to become a good player but he wasn't any real threat today, used his pace to get away but no end product. With 7-8 chances to do somethnig the only times he found a Brighton player after a break were with 2 fairly simple passes into Welbeck, one that we had covered pretty well and the other was 50 yards from goal and we got over and tackled him.

On top of that he made 3 very clumsy tackles that could all have been yellow cards and can't have any complaints about his red.

I'm in no way saying he's shit just that he's 2-3 years away from being the player some are claiming him to be.

Online john e

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2020, 05:48:19 PM »
I'm with Andy, Lamptey has the raw pace to become a good player but he wasn't any real threat today, used his pace to get away but no end product. With 7-8 chances to do somethnig the only times he found a Brighton player after a break were with 2 fairly simple passes into Welbeck, one that we had covered pretty well and the other was 50 yards from goal and we got over and tackled him.

On top of that he made 3 very clumsy tackles that could all have been yellow cards and can't have any complaints about his red.

I'm in no way saying he's shit just that he's 2-3 years away from being the player some are claiming him to be.

No threat ha ha

What are you on about he ran us ragged ffs

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »
Do I think it was a penalty? No.

Was it a penalty? Absolutely.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2020, 05:50:04 PM »
It is a contact sport, contact is not necessarily a foul.
I know the laws of the game and can see why it was not given.
The fact that lots of decisions are wrong is irrelevant, once it was given then based on the clear and obvious it should have stood.

I said illegal contact and I'm not sure you do know the laws of the game because you were babbling on about impeding the player being what matters.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2020, 05:50:17 PM »
If it had been Man Utd or Liverpool that peno would have been given. Now I've had time to calm down, I think the ref actually made the right decision - You'd be mightily annoyed if it went against you.

Regarding the result - Too many players not at the races today (and wrong subs made imo).

- Grealish drifted in and out (and that ridiculous backheel in our own box could have cost us a lot more!)
- McGinn was dreadful. Started to wonder if he thought he was still playing for Scotland in that first half especially. Made more passes to blue shirts than our own!
- Mings was woeful. At fault for Welbeck's goal (but Targett could share some of that blame)
- Smith subbing Doug instead of McGinn (can only be down to travel fatigue, but even so, Doug was having far more of an affect on the game than McGinn).
- Ollie hopefully still finding his feet. Goes from world beating to Samatta mk2 from game to game. Seems to step up against the big boys and look a shadow of that player against teams like Brighton and Leeds

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »
We seem to be far too open at home. We played some good stuff but it could easily have been 3-3 at half time. I’d prefer a bit of solidity and pragmatism at times.

To be the wrong side of a striker on the half way line is pretty woeful.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2020, 05:52:18 PM »
Lamptey was terrifying until he got level with the area, when he didn't offer much. But he created enough chaos in us today to have us all over the shop, so from the point of view that they won because of two defensive balls-ups, he did his job.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2020, 05:52:45 PM »
well i think if Brighton put Lamptey up for sale tomorrow with a price 5 times what they paid Chelsea, I don't think they'd be short of takers

Online john e

« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2020, 05:53:19 PM »
well i think if Brighton put Lamptey up for sale tomorrow with a price 5 times what they paid Chelsea, I don't think they'd be short of takers

What did they pay

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2020, 05:54:26 PM »
Guaranteed we'd lose today just because everyone expected us to win. Fuck off world.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »

What did they pay

3m

Offline Neal and Winton

« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2020, 05:54:59 PM »
If it’s at all possible forget the penalty for a minute the truth is that they were better than us when they didn’t have the ball than we were.
Compact at the back they gave us very little space whereas we left huge gaps all over villa park.
Defensively we are a mess and without the ball we do not close down in midfield.
The other issues with midfield is that they all tuck inside leaving both full backs exposed particularly if opponents have pace wide.
This is nine goals conceded in three home games in actual fact this is relegation form.
These defensive frailties have to be rectified else the good results we have had will all be wasted.
In terms of individual performances I thought Trez played well but oh dear that finishing and McGinn and Mings are badly out of form.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #104 on: November 21, 2020, 05:56:22 PM »
I’m still feeling really pissed off still

really really pissed of actually

Me too

How the hell can we beat Liverpool, Leicester and Arsenal 11-2 and then lose the last  3 at home including to Brighton. Bloody Brighton who had never won at VP before. Only saw the second half but we looked clueless going forward all huff and no quality end product.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal