collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread  (Read 21228 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Aston Villa vs Brighton post-match thread
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »
Rubbish decision, that was a penalty. Stupid stupid ref.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »
March's own reaction shows he thought he'd fouled Trez. I think anywhere else on the field, it would be a foul. March snicked the ball but impeded the player.

VAR would certainly not have overturned that last season. As soon as the VAR ref suggests the referee goes to the monitor, you know it's going to be overturned.

Offline Woody17

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
Trez could have stayed on his feet and tried to play the ball, he was looking for the penalty, he dived, the touch on his leg did not impede Trez from playing the ball.
Yes we have seen them given for a lot less but I do not think it was a penalty.
Tend to agree with this. If an opposition player were to do the same you’d be furious. Gutted it wasn’t given but it was one of those decisions that really could have gone either way, today it didn’t go in our way.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
Reasonable going forward although not enough movement again. The defence is a car crash waiting to happen. Was Oliver the ref who didn't give the ghost goal?
Yep. He was also the ref who didn't send Pickford off for the assault on Van Dijk.

Getting a bit of a track record for being shite isn't he? I'd always thought he was one of the better ones until today.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2020, 05:20:26 PM »
Not good enough. Mings set the tone - sloppy, casual and lacking intensity. McGinn was similar.

A really poor result and we are too weak when we go behind.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2020, 05:21:07 PM »
has any ref been called over to the monitor and actually stuck by his original decision

not one has got any balls, robot wankers the lot of em

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2020, 05:21:48 PM »
Was working today so only caught bits and then the last 15/20 mins. From that I thought Jack tired, McGinn never, the full backs were trying to bomb on, Mings looked really wobbly.
It was a soft pen but a pen, there given every week, once the ref was advised to go to far he was always going to overturn it.
Don’t mind Brighton and their decent and won’t go down. But gutted we’ve lost 3 at home. Barklay could be out for a few weeks with a hamstring as well, a shame him and jack didn’t have opportunity to carry on where they left off against Arsenal.
It’s going to be one of those seasons and I still think we’ll have a good season, but agree with those who say we need some back up for Ollie in January. Actually we ended up with 3 wide men on today, could of done with less of those and Davis supporting Watkins. El Ghazi put in some good crosses but no one there.
Hopefully our away form continues at West Ham and we turn over wor Steve in next couple of weeks.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2020, 05:22:13 PM »
9 days until the next game so they should be fresh.

We go again.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 05:22:48 PM »
It's a shocking decision.  You could see clearly in the replay that his foot makes contact with Trez's shin and makes it wobble with the force.  The fact that he may have touched the ball briefly before is irrelevant.

But anyway, what an absolutely terrible display that was today.  Shit all over the pitch, Mings had of of his all too frequent shockers, and the ease with which we get turned over by teams like Brighton when we're looking to push up the table is woeful.  Absolute bottle jobs, the lot of them.  And I don't buy the tiredness excuse, because if it wasn't international fortnight, then we'd have had two or three league games anyway and all of our players would have played them, rather than the few who were away for internationals.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:26:01 PM by Risso »

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2020, 05:23:04 PM »
Also, March just admitted on his interview on BBC that his heart was in his mouth with the penalty which suggests he was surprised it was overturned.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2020, 05:23:42 PM »

I thought the pen looked iffy and could be argued either way.

Do you think we would have got away with it?  I've seen plenty of yellow and red cards given this season where the player's got a touch on the ball but followed through to foul the opponent.  The analysis always says getting  touch on the ball is irrelevant if you follow through and foul the player.
But did the contact impede Trez? Getting a touch and then mowing down the player is one thing, contact having played the ball is another thing entirely.

Do you honestly believe he played the ball, in that he saw Trez knock it away from him and deliberately let it lightly brush his heel? Aside from that, yes he did impede him, Trez made the most of it but there was clear contact to his shin.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2020, 05:25:56 PM »
has any ref been called over to the monitor and actually stuck by his original decision

Yeah Graham Scott was told to look in the monitor after Lamptey's goal at Tottenham. There was the clearest of fouls by a Brighton player in the build up to the goal but he still gave it.

The whole rationale for VAR is that it gets everything right which is the absolute opposite of how it's working out.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
How many fucking balls did a Trez put over the bastard bar
one from about 3 yards out with an open goal in front
Absolutely piss poor finishing

one of the most frustrating games I’ve seen for a long time

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2020, 05:27:00 PM »

Once I think,and he got that wrong. Graham Scott allowed a Brighton equaliser against Spurs despite an obvious foul in the build up

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2020, 05:27:06 PM »
We weren't good enough today. Some tired performances, some shit performances, some careless performances and that contributes to losing the game.
As for the pen, you won't see a reversal like that against any of the "top" sides. Not a hope in hell.

Thanks, Nev. Saves me saying it. Worst thing is, Brighton were the poorest team we've played so far this season, the points were there for the taking but oh no, we put in a performance that wouldn't have looked out of place last season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal